Ward to Address Cattleman’s Workshop Participants
Jack Ward, American Hereford Association (AHA) chief operating officer and director of breed improvement, is on the agenda for the 3rd Annual Cattleman’s Workshop Jan. 20 in La Grande, Ore. The theme of the daylong workshop is “Adding Value and Adapting to Change.” Ward will present on the challenges and opportunities in the U.S. beef cattle industry, including how to utilize available selection and marketing tools, and how to take advantage of complementary breeds. For more information, contact Ward at (816) 842-3757 or email@example.com.
Hereford AI Book Back in 2007
The Hereford AI Book will be back in 2007 due to popular demand. Make sure that your sire is included by submitting all advertising information and photos to the Hereford Publications Inc. (HPI) office by Jan. 25.
This artificial insemination (AI) source will be distributed with the March Hereford World. In addition, reprints will be placed in AHA new member packets and distributed at trade shows, meetings and AHA events. The source will also be posted at Herfnet.com and a summary listing of the sires will be included in April’s Hereford World.
The price for a half-page, four-color ad is $725. A full-page, four-color ad is $1,150. If you purchase two pages, you receive a discounted rate of $2,050. There is no charge for the bull’s photo.
For more information, contact your AHA field representative. A field staff listing can be found in Hereford World or at Hereford.org.
Hereford 101: Grazing Strategies and Gallagher
The next Hereford 101 is scheduled for Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. A Gallagher Animal Management Systems representative will join Jack Ward to discuss grazing strategies. The Webinar will also feature information about Gallagher products including fence, scales and scaleheads for data collection.
Look to future Hereford eNews issues and Hereford.org for participation information, or contact Ward at (816) 842-3757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mile High Night National Hereford Sale Results
The Mile High Night National Hereford Sale again attracted a full house at the National Western Stock Show (NWSS) in Denver, Jan. 12. Sales on 8.16 bulls, 14 heifers and nine embryos totaled $376,900. Averages were as follows: Bulls – $27,034; heifers – $10,843; and embryos – $500.
The high-selling lot was a one-quarter syndicate interest in Churchill Yankee ET, which sold for $54,000 to the Churchill Yankee Syndicate, Manhattan, Mont. The lot was consigned by Stuber Ranch, Bowman, N.D.; Pied Piper Farms, Hamlin, Texas; and Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont.
The high-selling female lot was consigned by Ned and Jan Ward, Sheridan, Wyo. They offered the pick of their 2007 heifer crop. Deana Jak Farms Inc., New Enterprise, Pa., bought the pick for $50,000.
Four special lots, not calculated in the above total, sold for the benefit of the Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE). Thanks to the following consignors and buyers for their support of Hereford youth. The donations raised $14,750.
- Four embryos donated by Brumley Farms, Orovada, Nev., sold for $2,600 to Shafer Ranch, Sherman, Texas.
- Two embryos donated by Wards sold to Larsons’ Polled Herefords, Clifton, Texas, for $1,900.
- Five embryos donated by Wards sold to Ehlke Herefords, Townsend, Mont., for $4,750.
- A special breeding share in CRR D03 Shiner 420 ET — 30 units of semen each year from 2007-09, totaling 90 units — donated by Coyote Ridge Ranch, LaSalle, Colo., sold to the Shiner Semen Group, LaSalle, Colo., for $5,500.
For more sale details, see March’s Hereford World.
Hereford was the largest breed show at the 2007 NWSS. Congratulations to the following National Hereford Show winners:
- Supreme Champion Hereford: BR Gabrielle 5082 owned by Rylee Barber, Channing, Texas
- Horned Champion Heifer: BR Gabrielle 5082
- Horned Reserve Champion Heifer: MH Gold Miss Online 5324 ET owned by Hayley Miller, Thorntown, Ind.
- Polled Champion Heifer: BC Maid of Gold 2R owned by Derel Azevedo, Turlock, Calif.; Shayne Meyers, Colusa, Calif.; Ankony Farms, Clarkesville, Ga.; and Hoffman Herefords, McArthur, Calif.
- Polled Reserve Champion Heifer: SB 2013 Lady 90S ET owned by Hoffman Herefords and Ankony Farms
- Horned Champion Bull: SLDK Poseidon R09 ET owned by Sladek Farms, Iowa City, Iowa; Bert and Beverly Wall, Plainview, Texas; and Poseidon Syndicate, Iowa City, Iowa
- Horned Reserve Champion Bull: B&C Mr Austin Lane owned by B&C Cattle Co., Miami, Texas
- Polled Champion Bull: LaGrand Reload 80P ET owned by LaGrand Hereford Ranch, Freeman, S.D.; Heritage Cattle Co., Buhl, Idaho; Perks Ranch, Rockford, Ill.; and Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla.
- Polled Reserve Champion Bull: SR CG Hard Rock 5073 owned by Carl and Charles Gray, Edmond, Okla., and Sellman Ranch, Crawford, Neb.
- Horned Premier Breeder: Four L Hereford Farm, Atwood, Tenn.
- Horned Premier Exhibitor: Four L Hereford Farm
- Horned Best Six Head: Four L Hereford Farm
- Horned Get of Sire: Four L Hereford Farm (group by Four L Gold Strike 1127)
- Polled Premier Breeder: Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla.
- Polled Premier Exhibitor: Star Lake Cattle Ranch
- Polled Best Six Head: Star Lake Cattle Ranch
- Horned Junior Show Champion Heifer: H Sierra 6037 ET owned by Devin Murnin, Ft. Collins, Colo.
- Horned Junior Show Reserve Champion Heifer: TCL Moolah Maker owned by Jackson Alexander, Anadarko, Okla.
- Polled Junior Show Champion Heifer: MCS 59N Romance 14R owned by Mark and Catie Sims, Elgin, Okla.
- Polled Junior Show Reserve Champion Heifer: STAR KKH Valedictorian 298S ET owned by Kasey Herman, Skiatook, Okla.
- Champion Carload: Star Lake Cattle Ranch
- Reserve Champion Carload: DeShazer Cattle Co., Hearne, Texas
- Champion Pen: Sandhill Farms, Haviland, Kan.
- Reserve Champion Pen: Jensen Bros., Courtland, Kan.
Schmidt Crowned National Polled Hereford Queen
Congratulations to Amber Schmidt of Pipestone, Minn., on her coronation as the 2007 National Polled Hereford Queen. Schmidt competed against nine other state queens for the national title, which was announced prior to the selection of the grand champion polled Hereford bull Jan. 13 at the NWSS.
First runner-up and Miss Congeniality went to Katlin Mulvaney, Opelika, Ala., and second runner-up to Kelliann Blazek, Bangor, Wis.
An article on these three ladies will be included in March’s Hereford World.
Herdsman of the Year Goes to Yoesel
Peers selected Don Yoesel, Falls City, Neb., as the 2007 Hereford Herdsman of the Year at the NWSS. Yoesel grew up showing Herefords in Nebraska and on the national level. He now farms and ranches with his family, but has always made time over the years to share with Hereford breeders his talents as a herdsman.
For the rest of the story, see March’s Hereford World.
Owen Named Poll-ette of the Year
Kelly Owen, Ft. Payne, Ala., was named the 2006 National Poll-ette of the Year on Jan. 13 at the NWSS National Hereford Bull Show. Owen is a past board member of the National Organization of Poll-ettes (NOP), and she and her husband, Randy, own Tennessee River Music Inc.
Second place went to Elizabeth Wissner, Mukwonago, Wis., and third to Eva Hamman, Jacksboro, Texas.
For the rest of the story, see March’s Hereford World.