Spring 2008 EPDs Now Available Online
The Spring 2008 Hereford expected progeny differences (EPDs) are now available on the Web. Visit Hereford.org to look up a specific animal’s EPDs. Click on “EPD Inquiry” on the home page. Printed sire summaries will be available in early February. Contact the American Hereford Association (AHA) to request a copy. For more information, contact Jack Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org or (816) 842-3757.
CHB LLC Launches Updated Marketing Web Site
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) LLC has re-launched a customer-focused Web site, HerefordBeef.net. The site is equipped with upgraded navigation software to make it more user friendly for CHB’s three publics — consumers, customers (retail/foodservice) and producers.
HerefordBeef.net provides users an opportunity to locate where they can purchase CHB® product at both the retail and foodservice level as well as being able to find distributors in their region. “This Web site is a key marketing tool for CHB and allows us to reach each of our key audiences with a fresh look at our quality CHB product,” says Arden Gremmert, CHB LLC interim general manager. “The new site not only tells visitors where they can purchase our product in their home state in supermarkets or restaurants, it offers them recipes, nutritional information, smart shopping techniques and other tips that help them better enjoy the great taste of Certified Hereford Beef.”
Gremmert adds that the new site shares information on the CHB producer including their stewardship of the land and care given to the animals they raise in providing consumers safe and nutritious beef. He said that they are planning several additional phases and additions to this Web site in the future including detailed information geared specifically toward chefs and cattle producers.
Spencer named Industry Leader of the Year
Dale Spencer, Brewster, Neb., cattleman and former AHA vice president, has been named the Record Stockman’s 2008 Livestock Industry Leader of the Year. Publisher Dan Green will present the award at the National Western rodeo performance on Friday, Jan. 18. Spencer has been active in many leadership roles in the beef industry and has served as director of the Nebraska Beef Council, executive committee of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the AHA Board of Directors.
Soules named Canadian Hereford Association Ambassador
Montie Soules of the Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla., was recognized as the 2007 Canadian Hereford Association (CHA) Ambassador. The CHA recognizes persons, family operations or businesses that are non-residents of Canada, and/or non-members, which have made a major contribution to the promotion of Canadian Hereford genetics.
2008 OXO World Traveler Scholarship Winners Named
Shellie Moore Collins, Chattanooga, Okla., and Stacia Berry, Cheyenne, Wyo., will both be awarded $4,500 scholarships at this year’s National Western Stock Show. These young women were chosen as recipients of the OXO World Traveler Ambassador Scholarship, which is to be used toward the air, hotel and land package to attend the 2008 World Hereford Conference to be held in Copenhagen, Denmark June 29-July 1.
National Western Hotel Update
The AHA room block at the Renaissance Denver Hotel is completely full. If you have a reservation and decide to cancel your reservation, please contact Mary Ellen Hummel at the AHA to handle your cancellation. We have a waiting list of Hereford breeders who would like a room at the Renaissance and if you cancel with the hotel or online we lose the room for those breeders. So please help us in retaining as many rooms as possible for this great Hereford event. For cancellation, call (816) 842-3757 and ask for Mary Ellen.
102nd National Western Stock Show (NWSS)
Denver • Hereford Schedule
Sunday, Jan. 13
- Process Yard and Hill cattle
Monday, Jan. 14
Wednesday, Jan. 16
- 2 p.m. - Junior Hereford Show, Stadium Arena on the Hill
- 4 p.m. - Queen orientation, Renaissance Denver Hotel, Room 301
- 7 p.m. - Herdsman Social, Pepsi Arena in the Yards
Thursday, Jan. 17
- 9 a.m. - Hereford Pen of Three Female Show in the Yards
- Noon - Hereford Pen and Carload Show, Livestock Center Arena in the Yards
- 7 p.m. – Social sponsored by Poll-ettes, Renaissance Denver Hotel, all are welcome
- 7:30 p.m. – NOP annual meeting, Renaissance Denver Hotel
Friday, Jan 18
- 8 a.m. National Hereford Female Show, Stadium Arena on the Hill
- 6 p.m. Mile High Night National Hereford Sale, Beef Palace Auction Arena on the Hill
Saturday, Jan 19
- 8:30 a.m. National Hereford Bull Show, Stadium Arena on the Hill
Mile High Night National Hereford Sale
The Mile High Night National Hereford Sale at the National Western will be Friday, Jan. 18 at 6 p.m. (MST) in the Beef Palace Auction Arena. The auction can be viewed live on the Internet at LiveAuctions.tv and online viewers may bid from this site. To register to bid over the Internet, contact Brad Fahrmeier at (816) 392-9241 or email@example.com.
Here is a brief listing of this year’s sale. The sale catalog can be found in the December Hereford World. The sale catalog is also available on Herfnet.com.
- Lot 1 – Foundation Heifer – STAR 29F Bethany 2T ET, P42815955
- Lot 2 – Bull – C Maui Jim, P42665787
- Lot 3 – Bull – C 146 Domino 7180 ET, P42791078
- Lot 4 – Calf Pick - Pick of the 2007 Fall-Born Bull and Heifer Colyer Hereford Calf Crop
- Lot 5 – Cow – LaGrand Angel 28T, P42813374
- Lot 6 – Cow – MH BP EF Miss Beyond 7650 ET, P42838904
- Lot 7 - Cow – CC Tuscan Anny 17T, P42840250
- Lot 8 – Flush – DCC 8006 lady 2233 ET, 42261359
- Lot 9 – Heifer Pick – BB Cattle Co.
- Lot 10 – Heifer Pick – Selling Pick of Fall 2007 Embryo Heifer Calves, Jensen Bros.
- Lot 11 – Bull – Certified Authentic Syndicate – KJ C&L BJ 204 Authentic 294S, 42733471
- Lot 12 – Flush – EKS Spirdge Taylor P606 513R ET, P42628492
- Lot 13 – Cow – Pick of 2008 Heifer calf Crop or any Female in the Herd Including Bred Heifers, Rausch Herefords
- Lot 14 – Heifer Pick – Pick of 2007 Heifer Crop, Holden Herefords
- Lot 15 – Bull – MSU TCF Titleist 2T ET, P42808673
- Lot 16 – Bull – MSU Target 3T, P42808486
- Lot 17 – MSU TCF Triumph 10T, P42808669
- Lot 18 – Flush – Right to Flush any Female in the Sandhill Farms Herd
- Lot 19 – Embryo – Four Frozen Embryos, Four Winds Farm
- Lot 20 – Bull - Churchill Dutch 738T, 42796069
- Lot 21 – Bull – Churchill Class 710T, P42790918
- Lot 22 – Bull – FFF Moeler’s Red Dog 711S, P42767709
- Lot 23 – Embryo – 3 Frozen Embryos, Bar 1 Ranch
- Lot 24 – Bull – Le Grand Domino 0601 ET, 42839981
- Lot 25 – Bull – NLC 146 Pistol Pete 717 ET, P42813044
- Lot 26 – Flush – Selling Right to Flush BR DM Geisha or DM BR Ariel 4130ET, M6 Ranch
- Lot 27 – Bull – GH Adams Tornado ET 40T, C02897324
- Lot 28 – Embryos – Choice of Embryos, Ned and Jan Ward
- Lot 29 – Heifer Pick – Pick of 2008 Heifer Calf Crop, Ned and Jan Ward
- Lot 30 – Embryo – Four No. 1 Embryos, Ned and Jan Ward
- Lot 31 – Flush – HH Miss Advance 9082J, 41114559
- Lot 32 – Bull - CH LI Moler 7008, 42790398
- Lot 33 – Bull – Harvie Dan T-Bone 196T, C02900184
- Lot 34 – Bull – BR DM CSF Wallace ET, P42828412
- Lot 35A – Cow – AH JDH MS 19D Violet 6T ET, P42828759
- Lot 35 B – Cow –AH JDH MS 19D Violet 9T ET, P42828776
- Lot 36 – Cow – Hanson 94K Lassie 3106 ET
Attention NWSS Exhibitors:
Move-In on the Hill
Denver personnel are striving to get Hereford exhibitors on the Hill quicker this year. Hereford exhibitors can start moving in on the Hill starting at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 15. Check with the beef superintendent office on Monday, Jan. 14 to find out when you can move in. Those exhibitors with junior cattle will move in first as the junior show has been moved up to Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m. Some of the move in will have to wait until the Limousin cattle have moved out on Tuesday evening.
New Tie Outs
In order to accomplish check-in in a timely manner we will need to know where Hereford cattle are tied out. Please let AHA staff know if you will be using tie outs in the Yards, on the Hill, at Adams County Fairgrounds or in another area. It is important that we know this so we can get all cattle checked in on Sunday and Monday. Please e-mail or call Amy Cowan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Joe Rickabaugh at email@example.com with this information. E-mail would be greatly appreciated, but we understand if you need to call us with this information.
Note: The tie outs that many exhibitors are familiar tying in are no longer available, (these are the tie outs west of the Yards by the old packing plant). There is a new tie-out area that is located on the far north end of the Yards, north of the Stockyard Arena (Pepsi Arena). Our plan is to check-in cattle in this new tie out area on Sunday afternoon.
Please share this information with your crew so that they know when check-in will occur. It helps greatly if everyone is on the same page for check-in.
This year Herefords will not be scanned fat or REA. Only scrotal measurements will be collected on bulls. Dr. Cleon Kimberling will again be doing the scrotal measurements.
Check in of Hereford cattle for both the Yard and Hill shows will be Sunday, Jan. 13 and Monday, Jan. 14. Our plan is to do the Yard cattle first and we will be coming to the pens to check these cattle in. We will scan the cattle with EID tags and take scrotal measurements in the pens. We will need your help in providing a chute for cattle that don’t have EID tags and cattle that will require a chute to take scrotal measurements. It will help greatly if you have your registration papers in hand when we come to check the cattle.
ALL HEREFORDS SHOWING AT THE 2008 NWSS MUST BE PROCESSED BY 5 P.M. ON MONDAY, JAN. 14.
The Hereford Herdsman party will be Wednesday evening, Jan. 16, starting at 6 p.m. It will again be located in the Stockyard Arena. Bobby Singleton will be in charge of hospitality recruitment. This has proven to be a fun event and we hope all Hereford enthusiasts will be able to make this event.
Pen of Three Heifer Show
New to the Hereford events in Denver this year is the pen of three female show. This show will take place at 8 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 17 in Livestock Center Auction Arena. There will not be a sale this year for the pen of three heifers, but the heifers will be available for sale private treaty.
Come on Up for Some Hereford Hospitality
During your visit to the National Western Stock Show (NWSS) plan on dropping by the Hereford hospitality suite on the second floor of the Livestock Exchange Building in the Yards. The suite will be open Jan. 16-18 from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., and Jan. 19 from 9-11 a.m. The suite is a great place where Hereford breeders and guests may come to congregate and relax while enjoying light refreshments during their visit to the NWSS.
Some of this year’s sponsors will have promotional booths on display and the suite will be filled with unique Hereford items and AHA apparel you won’t find anywhere else in the Yards.
Foundation Female Package to Sell in Denver
Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla., has donated the inaugural heifer package to sell as Lot 1 in the 2008 Mile High Night National Hereford Sale, Jan. 18 in Denver. All proceeds from the sale will go to the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) $5 million capital endowment campaign.
The heifer, STAR 29F Bethany 2T ET, is a Jan. 1, 2007, daughter of CS Boomer 29F. Her dam, STAR Bright Ogina 239P, is a full sister to the past national champion Bright Future. For more information about the foundation female package, contact Chris Stephens at (816) 842-3757 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact Montie Soules, Star Lake Cattle Ranch, at (918) 396-4322.
A very special thanks to Jim and Randy Blin and the entire team at Star Lake for donating this heifer to the HYFA and their continued support and enthusiasm for the youth of the Hereford breed.