Fall 2008 EPDs Are Online
The fall 2008 expected progeny differences (EPDs) are now available at Hereford.org.
Fall 2008 Gold TPR Breeders Announced
Established in 2005, the Gold TPR™ (Total Performance Records) Breeder recognition is presented to progressive Hereford breeders who have measured traits, collected and promptly submitted performance data at all levels of production including calving, weaning weight, yearling weight, scrotal circumference and carcass.
The following Hereford breeders have been named Fall 2008 Gold TPR Breeders:
- Deer Track Farm, Spotsylvania, Va.
- Bay Brook Farm, Dabneys, Va.
- Knoll Crest Farm, Red House, Va.
- Judson Lester, Axton, Va.
- Evergreen, Old Town, Fla.
- NS Polled Herefords, Shaker Heights, Ohio
- Douglas Banks, Hamilton, Ohio
- Mill Creek Ranch, Alma, Kan.
- Frank Hug & Sons, Scranton, Kan.
- Oleen Bros., Dwight, Kan.
- Monahan Cattle Co., Hyannis, Neb.
- David or Juanita Jennings, Rogers, Ark.
- Kinnear Polled Herefords, Joshua, Texas
- P&J Polled Herefords, La Vernia, Texas
- Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho
- Shaw Cattle Co. Inc., Caldwell, Idaho
- Gino Pedretti, El Nido, Calif.
Hereford Youth Win Awards, Scholarships
During the 2008 VitaFerm Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) in Kansas City July 12-19 more than $25,000 was awarded in scholarships. More than 2,000 attendees celebrated “Herefords, the Heart of America” at the American Royal complex and more than 600 junior members ranging in age from 7 to 22, representing 40 states and Canada, exhibited 1,100 head of cattle making the event one of the largest junior breed shows in the U.S. The scholarships and award winners are listed below. Congratulations to all winners.
National Junior Merit Scholarship
- First place – Roxane Gebhart, Claremore, Okla., $1,500 plus trip
- First place – Nicole Starr, Manawa, Wis., $1,500 plus trip
- Second place – Joshua VanDeWalle, Cedar Rapids, Neb., $1,500
John Wayne Memorial Scholarship
- Cassie Bacon – Prairie Grove, Ark., $1,000
- Katlin Mulvaney, Opelika, Ala., $1,000
Ed Bible Memorial Scholarship
- First place – Joshua VanDeWalle, Cedar Rapids, Neb., $1,000
- Second place - Drew Perez, Nara Visa, N.M., $750
- Third place - Katlin Mulvaney, Opelika, Ala., $500
- Fourth place – Nicole Starr, Manawa, Wis., $250
Joe and Walter Lewis Memorial Scholarship
- First place – Cassie Bacon, Prairie Grove, Ark., $500
- Second place – Morgan Firestine, Womelsdorf, Pa., $375
Hereford Herdsman Scholarship
- Jena Dimberg, Charleston, Miss., $500
- Drew Perez, Nara Visa, N.M., $500
Poll-ette Founders Scholarship
- Audrey Hambright, Chapman, Kan., $750
- Drew Perez, Nara Visa, N.M., $750
Prospect and Junior Golden Bull Awards
- Prospect Award
- Third grade – Peyton Schmitt, Nichols, Iowa
- Fourth grade – Rylee Barber, Channing, Texas
- Fifth grade – Brett Jones, Darlington, Wis.
- Sixth grade – Koby Rogers, Hamilton, Texas
- Seventh grade – Karly Biddle, Walcott, Iowa
- Eighth grade – Shelby Rogers, Hamilton, Texas
- Junior Golden Bull Award
- Ninth grade – Katie Shultz, Dillsburg, Pa.
- 10th grade – Tamar Adcock, Assumption, Ill.
- 11th grade – Reba Hurst, Nevada, Mo.
- 12th grade – Jamie Mickelson, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Future Cattleman Scholarship
- Roxane Gebhart, Claremore, Okla., $1,000
- Audrey Hambright, Chapman, Kan., $1,000
American Hereford Queen Scholarship
- Katie Killian, Stratford, Texas., $250
Golden Bull Awards
- Audrey Hambright, Chapman, Kan., $1,875
- Bobby Mickelson, Santa Rosa, Calif., $1,875
- Shelly Patton, Danielsville, Ga., $1,875
- Joshua VanDeWalle, Cedar Rapids, Neb., $1,875
Herdsman of the Year
- Drew Perez, Nara Visa, N.M.
Advisors of the Year
- Don and Kathy Sissel, Billings, Mo.
Special Thanks to JNHE Sponsors
The 2008 VitaFerm JNHE was sponsored in part by Biozyme Inc., St. Joseph, Mo.; Fort Dodge Animal Health, Overland Park, Kan.; and UMB Bank and the RC Kemper Charitable Trust, Kansas City, Mo.
Please take the time to thank these organizations for their generous support.
Order Your JNHE Pictures Online
To view and purchase JNHE photos taken by American Hereford Association (AHA) and Hereford Publications Inc. (HPI) staff, visit the Hereford Photo Shop Web site. Here you’ll find pictures of show and award winners taken at JNHE events throughout the week.
AHA Prominent at Ag Media Summit
Ag media professionals met in Tampa, Fla., earlier this week for the 10th Annual Ag Media Summit (AMS). During the Awards Ceremony Tuesday evening, Bud Snidow was honored as the Livestock Publication Council (LPC) Headliner. The Headliner Award salutes an individual for meritorious service to the livestock industry.
Snidow served the American Hereford Association (AHA) for more than 30 years and at the age of 90 is serving as the organization’s historian. Craig Huffhines, AHA executive vice president, accepted the award on Bud’s behalf.
Also during the event, Hereford World editor Angie Stump Denton was elected to serve a second term on the LPC board of directors.
HPI Wins Awards
During the summit, Hereford World staff was recognized in the LPC Critique Contest.
Congratulations to HPI for the following awards:
- First place newspaper — Hereford World tabloid
- Second place ad — Hereford Youth Foundation of America “He Holds the Future of the Hereford Industry in His Hands”
- Honorable mention instructional story — “Scoring Momma” by Angie Stump Denton