Check Out Hereford.org
This week, redesigned Hereford Web sites were launched, including Hereford.org, JrHereford.org, HerefordWorld.org and HerefordYouthFoundation.org.
New features include:
- Hereford Marketplace — the “place” to find Hereford genetics
- Searchable Event Central — listing of all Hereford events and deadlines
- Complete Hereford World issue posted in flip format
- Searchable archive of Hereford World features and columns
- Education Center — Hereford information at your fingertips
- Forms Library — find the resources you need
- PLUS a robust search function to help you find the Hereford information you need and so much more.
Take time to surf the new sites, visit Hereford.org today.
Western Nugget Champions Named
Golden Oak Outcross 18U and C -S Gran Torino ET won the grand champion bull titles at the 2009 Western Nugget National Hereford Show Dec. 4-5 in Reno, Nev. Brian Baragree, Absarokee, Mont., evaluated the 223-head show, which included 35 polled bulls, 27 horned bulls, 87 polled heifers and 74 horned heifers.
- Champion Polled Bull: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb.; Ward Ranch, McAlester, Okla.; and Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont., with Golden Oak Outcross 18U, a March 10, 2008, son of Golden-Oak Fusion 3S.
- Champion Horned Bull: Williams/Ferguson Ranch, L.P., Decatur, Texas; Dennis Schock, Sherman, Texas; and Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, with C -S Gran Torino ET, a March 1, 2008, son of DM BR L1 Domino 146.
- Champion Polled Female: Kari Brumley, Orovada, Nev., with CRR 4037 Delilia 877, a March 5, 2008, daughter of THM Durango 4037.
- Champion Horned Female: Drew Perez, Nara Visa, N.M., with C&M New Mexico Lady 8040, an April 9, 2008, daughter of KJ BJ Bounty Hunter.
- Reserve Polled Bull: Upstream Ranch, Taylor, Neb.; Adams Hirsche Herefords, High River, Alberta; Colyer Herefords; and South Mountain Ranch, Caldwell, Idaho, with UPS TCC Nitro 1ET, a March 15, 2007, son of GH Neon 17N.
- Reserve Horned Bull: Churchill Cattle Co., with Churchill Frontier 9137W ET, a Feb. 12, 2009, son of CRR About Time 743.
- Reserve Polled Female: Colyer Herefords with C Miss Nitro 9152, a Feb. 14, 2009, daughter of UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Reserve Horned Female: Amelia and Greg Stallings Jr., Eugene, Ore., with C Notice Me Nitro 9161 ET, a Feb. 27, 2009, daughter of UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Horned Get-of-Sire: Largent & Sons, Kaycee, Wyo., with a group sired by GH Rambo 279R
- Horned Premier Exhibitor: Brandt Downing, Butte Falls, Ore.
- Horned Premier Breeder: Colyer Herefords
- Polled Best Six Head, Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor: Weimer Cattle Co., Susanville, Calif.
Junior Show Results
- Champion Female: Rope Stewart, Sterling City, Texas, with H GH Belvakay 9014 ET, a March 1, 2009, daughter of GO Excel L18.
- Reserve Female: Greg and Amelia Stallings, with C Notice ME Nitro 9161 ET, a Feb. 27, 2009, daughter of UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Champion Bred-and-Owned Female: KF Jewel 901W, a Jan. 1, 2009, daughter of KJ BJ Bounty Hunter 741P.
- Champion Bred-and-Owned Bull: Amelia Stallings with SPH Durango 909W ET, a March 7, 2009, son of STAR Bright Future 533P ET.
- Reserve Bred-and-Owned Bull: Allyson Spears, Brentwood, Calif., with SS S Cody Koda 8S54, a May 4, 2008, son of UPS Domino 5271.
To view complete results of the 2009 Western Nugget National Hereford Show visit Hereford.org.
Suite Sponsorship Available
Hereford breeders and the AHA will again be hosting a Hereford hospitality suite in Denver during the National Western Stock Show (NWSS). Again this year the suite will be on the first floor of the Livestock Exchange Building in the Yards. The suite is a great place for Hereford breeders to relax and visit with other Hereford enthusiasts. Booth spaces in the suite are going fast! If you are interested in helping sponsor the suite, contact Amy Cowan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (816) 842-3757.
ShopHereford.com This Christmas
There is something for everyone on your Christmas list at ShopHereford.com. Visit this site to see the new inventory of Hereford fleece and hooded pullovers. To guarantee your Internet orders arrive in time for Christmas, please place all orders by Dec. 15. If you have questions, contact Becky Allan at email@example.com.
Frank Rodgers Inducted into Hereford Hall of Fame
Frank Rodgers of Frank Rodgers & Sons Polled Herefords, Buhl, Idaho, was inducted into the Hereford Hall of Fame Nov. 2 in Kansas City during the American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Membership Meeting. The Hall of Fame honor annually recognizes breeders who’ve dynamically influenced the direction and advancement of the Hereford breed.
Frank got started in the Hereford seedstock business in 1948 near Denver. He and his wife Margaret would raise cattle there until moving to southern Idaho in 1973. In 2008, Frank and Margaret sold their last set of bulls in February and dispersed their herd in December.
In addition to showing in the National Western Stock Show’s pen show, the Rodgerses collected carcass data every year to prove their herd. Until 2000, Frank fed out one-third of their calves to study each animal’s carcass data. After 2000, they began utilizing ultrasound. Frank made the carcass data available to buyers because he felt it was important.
Frank and Margaret are active in their community, as well as breed and industry events. They support 4-H and FFA programs and the Idaho Junior Hereford Association. They have raised two sons, two daughters and countless Hereford calves during their 56 years of marriage.
Louisville, Reno Photos For Sale
Photos from the North American International Livestock Expo and the Western Nugget National Hereford Show are available to purchase at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
Herefords Headin’ to Denver
Plan now to attend the Hereford activities scheduled during the 2010 NWSS in Denver, Jan. 13-16. For a complete schedule, visit Hereford.org and the December Hereford World.
Make reservations now at the AHA headquarters hotel:
Renaissance Denver Hotel
3801 Quebec St.
Denver, CO 80207
(888) 238-6762 or (303) 399-7500
Rate: $99 • Cutoff date: Dec. 10
Ask for “American Hereford Association” block. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Denver International Airport and the National Western Stock Show.
Harrell Hereford Ranch, Baker City, Ore., has donated a pick of its 2010 heifer calf crop as the 2010 Foundation Female that will sell as Lot 1 in the Mile High Night Sale, Jan. 15 during the National Western Stock Show. All proceeds from the sale will go to the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) $5 million capital endowment campaign. For more information about the heifer, log on to Hereford.org.
Looking for elite Hereford genetics? BuyHereford.com features regular online consignment auctions.
The next BuyHereford.com sale is scheduled for Dec. 29, 2009, watch for a catalog of consignments to be posted soon.
Maxxam Test Profile Now Includes HY
Maxxam Analytical, AHA's official DNA laboratory now has Hypotrichosis (HY) as part of its DNA profile test. The cost for the DNA test continues to be $32 per sample for up to 50 samples and then discounted to $19 per sample for more than 50. To receive the discount, the 50 samples or more must be submitted at the same time. Contact AHA for DNA test kits. Note: all tests done by Maxxam will have results listed on pedigrees.