Dave McMahon Family Purchases Foundation Female
During the Mile High Night Sale in Denver Jan. 15, the pick of Harrell Hereford Ranch’s 2010 heifer calf crop sold for $38,000 to the Dave and Mary Ann McMahon family of Belle Point Ranch, Ft. Smith, Ark. All of the proceeds will go to the Hereford Youth Foundation of America.
In addition to the pick of heifer calves, McMahon will receive one flush and three transfers on the foundation female from Trans Ova Genetics, Sioux Center, Iowa. Lathrop Trucking, Dundee, Ill., will offer transportation on the female from Harrell Hereford Ranch to Belle Point Ranch and American Live Stock Insurance Inc. Geneva, Ill., is donating one month of insurance on the heifer.
Herefords Shine in Denver
Hereford excitement abounded from the Yards to the Hill at the National Western Stock Show Jan. 13-16 in Denver. A total of 647 head were exhibited throughout the four-day event. There were 342 head in the open show, 89 in the junior show, 34 pens of bulls, 18 heifer pens and six carloads. Visit Hereford.org to see complete results of the junior show, carload and pen show and the Hereford bull and female shows.
Congratulations to these winners:
- Supreme Champion and Champion Polled Bull: STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET, owned by Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla., Buffalo Bend Farm, Lawrenceburg, Tenn., TCF & Co., Petoskey, Mich., and Tennessee River Music Inc., Fort Payne, Ala.
- Champion horned bull: BR Currency 8144 ET, owned by Rylee Barber, Channing, Texas
- Reserve champion polled bull: C New Era ET, owned by Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, and Albin Farms, Newman, Ill.
- Reserve champion horned bull: Churchill Frontier 9137W ET, owned by Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont., and Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb.
- Champion polled female: TCC Miss Shelby 82 ET, owned by Blake Tucker, North Platte, Neb.
- Champion horned female show: H Poetic Justice 8042, owned by Karlee Osborne, Sheridan, Ill.
- Reserve champion polled female: STAR KKH SSF Olivia 15U ET, by Kasey Herman, Skiatook, Okla., Star Lake Cattle Ranch and BJ Herman & Sons, Edgerton, Ohio
- Reserve champion horned female: C&M New Mexico Lady 8040, by Drew Perez, Nara Visa, N.M.
- First-place horned get-of-sire: C&M Herefords, Nara Visa, N.M., with a group sired by KJ BJ Bounty Hunter 741P.
- Horned premier exhibitor: Adams Hirsche, High River, Alberta, Canada
- Horned premier breeder: Colyer Herefords
- Polled premier breeder, premier exhibitor and best six head: Star Lake Cattle Ranch
- First-place polled get-of-sire: Star Lake Cattle Ranch with a group sired by STAR Bright Future 533P
Mile High Night Sale Grosses $455,150
It was an exciting night for the Hereford breed, during the Mile High Night sale Jan. 15 at the National Western Stock Show in Denver. The sale averaged $10,762 with 10.83 bulls averaging $11,985 and 26 females $10,252. Five flushes brought $4,760 per flush, and 52 embryos averaged $673. The embryo average was up more than $200 even with 21 more embryos sold.
The three high-selling lots were:
- ECR L18 Extra Deep 9279 sold for $38,750 for quarter interest
- Seller: Fawcett's Elm Creek Ranch, Ree Heights, S.D.
- Buyer: Fawcett Syndicate (a complete list of buyers will be printed in the March Hereford World)
- Pick of 2009 heifer calf crop sold for $26,000
- Seller: Cooper Hereford Ranch, Willow Creek, Mont.
- Buyer: Lohr Herefords, Peoria, Ill.
- NJW 78P 63N Ladysport 51W ET sold for $25,500
- Seller: Ned and Jan Ward, Sheridan, Wyo.
- Buyer: Buck Cattle Co. and Swanson Herefords, Madill, Okla.
Southwestern Exposition Hereford Activities Start Jan. 30
A weekend of Hereford activities is scheduled during the Southwestern Exposition in Ft. Worth next weekend. The National Hereford Show will be broadcast live by EDJECast.com. Visit the EDJECast Web site for more information.
Saturday, Jan. 30, 2010
- 9 a.m. Commercial Hereford and English Crossbred Heifer Show
- 4 p.m. Texas Hereford Assn. membership meeting and election of officers, Ft. Worth Community Arts Center (located on the west side of the west parking lot of the Will Rogers Complex between The Cowgirl Museum and The Amon Carter Museum)
- 5-7 p.m. Social hosted by The Texas Hereford Assn., Ft. Worth Community Arts Center
Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010
- 9 a.m. Pen of Three Hereford and Polled Hereford Bull Show, West Sale Arena, Justin Building
- Noon Sale cattle on display (north end of Moncrief Barn)
- 1 p.m. Commercial Hereford Heifer Sale, West Sale Arena, Justin Building
- 3 p.m. Ft. Worth National “Cowtown Select” Sale, featuring polled and horned cattle, West Sale Arena, Justin Building
- 5-7 p.m. Social hosted by The Texas Polled Hereford Assn. Cash bar and hors d’ouevres. Introduction of Jimmy and Claudia Atlas, 2010 Honorees. During the Social we will also auction off directory pages for the 2010-2011 annual TPHA Directory. To be held in The Cactus Room.
- 7 p.m. Texas Polled Hereford Assn. general membership meeting in The Cactus Room.
Monday, Feb. 1, 2010
- 9 a.m. National Horned and Polled Hereford Show
Use X for 2010
The year-letter code for 2010 is X. This notice is for those producers who use the letter codes in their identification system. For more tattoo and identification tips, see Page 18 of the January Hereford World or visit Hereford.org.
Plan to Attend Cattle Industry Convention
The 2010 National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) Cattle Industry Convention and Trade Show will be in San Antonio, Texas, Jan. 27-30. A schedule of events and more information is available at the NCBA Web site.
Reserve Your Space in the 2010 AI Book Today
The deadline for the 2010 AI Book is fast approaching. All ad materials are due Jan. 25. Contact your field representative, Joe Rickabaugh or Amy Myers, at 816-842-3757, for more information.
Hereford Exhibitors Take Note
Hereford exhibitors please make sure that all cattle planning to show at national shows are registered. Any entry that is pending or not registered 30 days prior to a national show will be scratched and not allowed to show. Also if you intend to have expected progeny differences (EPDs) printed in the show program, please make sure you are a compliant and a Whole Herd TPR breeder as EPDs will not be added to any animal upon arrival at the show. We appreciate your cooperation with getting all show animals registered 30 days prior to the show and any EPD problems worked out ahead of time.
To order the official AHA show vests visit the Shop Hereford Web site. The show vests are $30 and we appreciate all exhibitors wearing the official showring attire.
All cattle must have an EID tag in order to show at a national Hereford show. Visit Hereford.org to download an order form. All tags will be ordered in increments of 10 and cattle that have tags will be scanned at the stalls and will avoid standing in long lines at the chute. Those without EID tags will be tagged when cattle are checked in and charged $3 per tag.
Make Fort Worth Reservations Today
The Sheraton Fort Worth Hotel is the headquarters hotel for the Southwestern Exposition National Hereford Show in Ft. Worth Feb. 1. The AHA rate is $89.
Sheraton Fort Worth Hotel and Spa
1701 Commerce St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
National Western, Louisville, Reno Photos For Sale
Photos from the National Western and other national shows are available to purchase at HerefordPhotoShop.com.
Looking for elite Hereford genetics? BuyHereford.com features regular online consignment auctions. The next BuyHereford.com sale is scheduled forJan. 26 A catalog and video of Denver consignments is now online.