Sire Summary Now Online
The Spring 2010 Sire Summary is now online at Hereford.org.
Hard copies will be available by March 1 and can be requested by contacting American Hereford Association (AHA) staff at 816-842-3757.
The new summary includes detailed listings on sires from U.S., Canada, Uruguay and Argentina to help producers make informed buying, breeding and other management decisions. A total of 2,214 sires are listed in the summary. There are 938 proven sires, 796 young sires and 181 reference sires from the National Reference Sire Program. The balance of the sires can be found in the carcass section, which is a list of the 783 highest accuracy bulls for carcass traits.
Hain Honored as Hereford Herdsman of the Year
Kirk Hain, Seward, Neb., was selected as the 2010 Hereford Herdsman of the Year at the National Western Stock Show (NWSS) in Denver. Kirk was selected for the award by his peers — other Hereford herdsmen and breeders — and was honored prior to the selection of the supreme champion Hereford on Jan. 16.
Through the years Kirk has worked for several Hereford breeders including Jensen Bros., Dave Allan, Larry Hafer and Steve Osborne. Since 2004 he has helped Hoffman Herefords during the show season.
Jason Hoffman of Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb., says, “Kirk understands cattle and how to deal with them better than anyone I know. He’s very conscientious, level-headed, hard working and has a heart of gold.”
Dave Allan, Bar A Cattle Co., Schulenburg, Texas, says Kirk learned at a young age that showing cattle is more than fitting and that his work ethic, integrity and abilities are why fellow herdsman chose to recognize him as one of the best in the industry.
In recent years Kirk has started his own herd of Herefords and says he hopes to continue to build his herd. “It’s the people in this business who have kept me hooked on Herefords,” Kirk says. “It’s a great breed to be involved with and I look forward to many more years as a Hereford breeder.”
Shock & Awe, Gran Torino, Poetic Justice, Olivia Named Champions in Fort Worth
The National Hereford Show during the Fort Worth Stock Show was Feb. 1. Dan Hogue, Kewanee, Ill., judged the 214-head show. For complete results, visit Hereford.org.
- Champion Horned Bull: Williams/Ferguson Ranch, L.P., Decatur, Texas; Dennis Schock, Sherman, Texas; and Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, with C - S Gran Torino 8172 ET by DM BR L1 Domino 146.
- Champion Polled Bull: Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla.; TCF & Co., Petoskey, Mich.; Tennessee River Music Inc., Ft. Payne, Ala.; and Buffalo Bend Farm, Lawrenceburg, Tenn., with STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET by STAR Bright Future 533P ET.
- Reserve Champion Horned Bull: Rylee Barber, Channing, Texas, with BR Currency 8144 ET by DM BR Sooner.
- Reserve Champion Polled Bull: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb.; Ward Ranch, McAlester, Okla.; and Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont., with Golden Oak Outcross 18U by Golden-Oak Fusion 3S.
- Champion Horned Female: Karlee Osborne, Sheridan, Ill., with H Poetic Justice 8042 by TH JWR SOP 16G 57G Tundra 63N.
- Champion Polled Female: Kasey Herman, Skiatook, Okla.; Star Lake Cattle Ranch; and BJ Herman & Sons, Edgerton, Ohio, with STAR KKH SSF Olivia 15U ET by Remitall Online 122L.
- Reserve Champion Horned Female: Rachel Adkins, Canadian, Texas, with BR Zoey 8143 ET by DM BR Sooner.
- Reserve Champion Polled Female: Randa Owen, Ft. Payne, Ala.; and Purple Reign Cattle Co., Toulon, Ill., with Purple HCC Billie Jean 32V.
Ward to Speak at Iowa Beef Expo
Jack Ward, AHA chief operating officer and director of breed improvement, will speak at an open forum Wednesday, Feb. 17, at the Iowa Beef Expo in Des Moines. Ward will meet with breeders at 5 p.m. in the lower level of the Gammon Barn on the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
The free event, sponsored by the Iowa Hereford Breeders Association, is open to the public and attire is come-as-you-are. Ward will update attendees on new AHA programs and also answer questions from the audience.
Next BuyHereford.com Auction Feb. 23
Looking to market or purchase elite Hereford genetics? BuyHereford.com features regular online consignment auctions. Watch for a catalog to be posted soon.
Extension Beef Cattle Webinars Coming Up
The eXtension Beef Cattle Clearinghouse Community of Practice will conduct hour-long webinars Feb. 11 and Feb. 25. The seminars will start at noon Central time. Topics to be discussed will be managing genetics on Feb. 11 and the power of heterosis on Feb. 25. Speakers will be Bob Weaber, University of Missouri, and Matt Spangler, University of Nebraska.
For more on the webinars, visit the eXtension Web site.
National Western, Louisville, Reno Photos For Sale
Photos from the National Western and other national shows are available to purchase at HerefordPhotoshop.com.