Watch JNHE Videos Online
Watch highlight videos from the 2010 VitaFerm Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) on Hereford.org.
BuyHereford.com Auction Raises $20,765 for Hereford Research
The first BuyHereford.com online fund-raising auction for the Hereford Research Foundation fetched more than $20,000 to benefit Hereford research projects July 13. Nineteen items were sold and more than 200 total bids were placed throughout the auction.
Thank you to these buyers:
- John and Mona Loewen, Waukomis, Okla.
- Steve Folkman, Ixonia, Wis.
- Alex Mih/MM Ranch, Indianapolis
- Craig Beran/B&D Herefords, Claflin, Kan.
- Stacy Sanders, Edgerton, Mo.
- Jonathan Beever, Mansfield, Ill.
- Jerry Huth/Huth Polled Herefords, Oakfield, Wis.
- Randy White, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Shane Prill, Wichita, Kan.
- John Woolfolk, Columbia, Tenn.
- Al Swanson, Peterson, Iowa
- Dayne Zimmerman, Houston, Texas
- Vern Rausch/Rausch Herefords, Hoven, S.D.
For more visit, Hereford.org.
AHA Releases New Heifer Calving Rate EPD,
Fall 2010 EPDs Now Online
The American Hereford Association (AHA) released its first heifer calving rate (HCR) expected progeny differences (EPDs) last week. Using Whole Herd Total Performance Records (TPR™) data submitted by AHA members since 2001, these values show genetic differences in Hereford sires for the likelihood of their daughters to calve as heifers.
Visit Hereford.org, for more information.
The Fall 2010 EPDs are now available. Visit Hereford.org to search the new EPDs. Trends, trait leaders and distribution information is also available.
PRIDE Details Now Online
The Program for Reaching Individuals Determined to Excel (PRIDE) Convention will be Aug. 2-4 in Boise, Idaho. More details are now available at JrHereford.org for those registered to attend, including a complete schedule and what to bring.
1,161 Entries at 2010 VitaFerm JNHE
July 3-10 more than 650 exhibitors from 40 states and Canada along with their families converged in Indianapolis for the 11th annual VitaFerm® JNHE. Below are some highlights. Watch for more complete results in the September Hereford World.
Complete results including class placings and division winners are available on Hereford.org.
Gebhart Named Junior Hereford Herdsman of the Year
At the conclusion of the 2010 JNHE it was announced that Roxane Gebhart, Claremore, Okla., was voted by her peers to win this year’s Herdsman of the Year title and coveted belt buckle. Read all about Roxane and the award in the September Hereford World.
NHW Heifer Drawing Winner
During the JNHE, NJHA member Shane Duhamel, Northford, Conn., was the lucky winner of the NHW heifer drawing. Mohican Farms, Glenmart, Ohio, and Mohican West, Laurel, Mont., generously donated this year’s heifer. Congratulations to Shane and thank you to Mohican Farms and Mohican West for their kind contribution to the future of the Hereford breed.
Hereford Youth Receive Scholarships
While at the 2010 JNHE in Indianapolis, more than $19,000 was awarded to NJHA members in scholarship monies. Congratulations to all the winners. For more information on the scholarships and winners, watch for the September Hereford World.
National Junior Merit Award
- First place – Thomas Smith, Hamlin, N.Y., $2,000 plus trip
- Second place – Heather Bradford, St. Marys, Ohio, $1,250
- Third place – Cody Crum, Rushville, Ill., $1,250
Joe and Walter Lewis Memorial Scholarship
- First place - Heather Bradford, St. Marys, Ohio, $1,000
- Second place - Reba Hurst, Nevada, Mo., $500
- Third place - Jae Van Horn, Franklin, Ind., $300
Wesley Rakestraw Hereford Enthusiast Award
- Emilee Kottkamp, Clayton, Ind., $500
John Wayne Memorial Scholarship
- Justin Bacon, Prairie Grove, Ark., $1,000
- Cody Crum, Rushville, Ill., $1,000
Ed Bible Memorial Scholarship
- First place – Cody Crum, Rushville, Ill., $1,000
- Second place – Seth Going, Lyons, Neb., $750
- Third place – Julie Wiechert, Cedarburg, Wis., $500
- Fourth place – Tamar Adcock, Assumption, Ill., $250
Future Cattleman Scholarship
- Heather Bradford, St. Marys, Ohio, $500
- Cody Crum, Rushville, Ill., $500
Hereford Herdsman Scholarship
- Heather Bradford, St. Marys, Ohio, $1,000
- Christopher Montross, Weedsport, N.Y., $1,000
Poll-ette Founders Scholarship
- Cody Crum, Rushville, Ill., $500
- Julie Wiechert, Cedarburg, Wis., $500
- Third grade - Lauren McMillan, Ohio, Ill.
- Fourth grade – Kate Mead, Concord, Ark.
- Fifth grade – Justin Hurst, Nevada, Mo.
- Sixth grade – Braden Mead, Concord, Ark.
- Seventh grade – Bailey Jones, Darlington, Wis.
- Eighth grade – Koby Rogers, Hamilton, Texas
Junior Golden Bull Award
- Ninth grade – Cooper Alexander, Redmond, Ore.
- 10th grade – Taryn Adcock, Assumption, Ill.
- 11th grade – Cody Beck, Bainbridge, Ind.
Golden Bull Achievement Award
- Tamar Adcock, Assumption, Ill., $1,875
- Cody Crum, Rushville, Ill., $1,875
- Reba Hurst, Nevada, Mo., $1,875
- Cameron Curry, McAlester, Okla., $1,875
State Basket Auction Grosses $13,500
The state basket auction at this year’s JNHE was extremely successful! Approximately $13,500 was made, with half of that going to the NJHA board of directors for travel expenses. The other half goes back to the states that donated the baskets. The three top-selling baskets were donated by the National Hereford Women, Wisconsin and Texas. A big thank you goes out to those who purchased all of the baskets:
- Ashby Family
- Bob and Lisa Norton
- Bryan Blinson
- Dorrell Cattle Co.
- Edy Brainard
- F & M Cattle Co
- Gene Stumpf
- Grand Meadows Farms
- Grant Brescher
- Hannah Everhart
- Jeff Reininger
- Kathy Timberlake
- Linda Epling
- Liz Via
- Marlene Mowry
- Mike Firestine
- Payne Farms
- Rockin Shamrock Ranch
- Sarah and Marsha Farno
- Sinnamon Show Supply
- Wiswell Family
Headquarter Hotel Feedback Please
If you were a guest at the Sheraton at Keystone at the Crossings in Indianapolis for the recent 2010 JNHE we need your input on your hotel stay. Please take a few minutes and send a short e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with some feedback on your accommodations at the headquarters hotel.
We appreciate your help with this informal survey that has been requested by the sales staff at the Sheraton. We will compile information and provide it to the hotel.
If you chose not to stay at the headquarters hotel and would care to forward a quick e-mail as to why you choose to stay out side of the Junior National Hereford Expo headquarters block we would appreciate that feedback as well we we plan hotel blocks for future years. Thank you very much.
Visit the Gammon Barn during Iowa State Fair
Hereford enthusiasts are invited to visit the Gammon Barn Aug. 12-22 during the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines. Member volunteers of the Iowa Hereford Breeders Association will welcome guests to the museum from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day of the fair.
Named for Polled Hereford founder Warren Gammon, the barn is known as the birthplace of Polled Herefords. In 1991 it was moved to the Iowa Sate Fairgrounds, just east of the livestock pavilion. The barn serves as a museum to the breed and its leaders. The museum houses memorabilia and history, most notably the Polled Hereford Hall of Fame.
The museum is open to all visitors during the Iowa State Fair and can also be visited by special appointment by contacting Grant Seuferer at 515-979-2846 or Rande Seuferer at 515-971-5135.
JNHE Photos Available for Purchase
All pictures taken by American Hereford Association (AHA) staff at the JNHE may be viewed and ordered at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
If you have any questions, contact Angie Stump Denton at email@example.com or 785-363-7263.