Woolfolk Elected President
John Woolfolk, Jackson, Tenn., was announced as the new president of the American Hereford Association (AHA) during the Annual Membership Meeting in Kansas City, Mo., Nov. 1.
This past year John served as AHA vice president, was chairman of the finance/audit committee, and served on the executive, member service, marketing and building committees and the Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) LLC board.
David Breiner, Alma, Kan., was selected to serve as the 2011 AHA vice president. This past year David served as chairman of the show and sale committee and was a member of the breed improvement and Hall of Fame/Merit committees.
Completing their terms on the AHA Board were outgoing president, Bob Harrell, Baker City, Ore.; Marshall Ernst, Windsor, Colo.; and Denny Hoffman, McArthur, Calif.
Delegates elected three new Directors during the membership meeting. Keith Fawcett, Ree Heights, S.D.; Steve Lambert, Oroville, Calif.; and Dale Venhuizen, Manhattan, Mont., will serve four-year terms on the 12-member Board.
Hall of Fame, Merit Inductees Announced
Marvin D. Berry, Tom Dashiell and George Ochsner were inducted into the Hereford Hall of Fame and Bob Call and Lovell Kuykendall were inducted into the Hereford Hall of Merit. Visit Hereford.org for bios on the five recipients.
American Royal Hereford Champions Named
CRR Helton 980 and NJW 78P 63N Ladysport 51W ET won the grand champion bull and female titles at the 2010 American Royal National Hereford Show, Oct. 31 in Kansas City. Winners include:
- Champion bull: Coyote Ridge Ranch, LaSalle, Colo.; Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont.; and Iron Lake Ranch, Athens, Texas, with CRR Helton 980 by Go L18 Excel T31.
- Reserve champion bull: Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont.; Gerald Jason Hoffman, Thedford, Neb.; and W4 Ranch, Morgan, Texas, with CL 1 Domino 955W by CL 1 Domino 637S 1ET.
- Champion female: Bailey Buck, Madill, Okla., with NJW 78P 63N Ladysport 51W ET by TH JWR SOP 16G 57G Tundra 63N.
- Reserve champion female: Nicole and Danielle Starr, Manawa, Wis., with MSU Keepsake 24W ET by BR Moler ET.
- Junior show champion female: Bailey Buck with NJW 78P 63N Ladysport 51W.
- Junior show reserve champion female: Shayne Meyers, Colusa, Calif., with TH 525 63N Fairview 84X by TH JWR SOP 16G 57G Tundra 63N.
Boots and Brew II Generates $123,000 for Youth
Hereford enthusiasts celebrated Hereford youth on Oct. 30 in Kansas City at the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) Boots and Brew II reception during the American Royal.
During the event it was announced that a $100,000 gift has been given to the capital
endowment campaign and this generous gift brings HYFA one step closer to reaching the $5 million goal. A $50,000 gift to the Hereford Ball Foundation. A scholarship will be established in Ed and Virginia Ball's name to honor the philosophies of the Ball's as they pertained to conservation and sustaining the family ranch lands.
HYFA will perpetually fund a scholarship in the Ball family name for Hereford youth who are continuing their education with plans to return back to production agriculture. This grant is possible because of HYFA board member, Nancy Ball Keilty. It was Nancy's wish to honor her mother and father's legacy with this scholarship.
In addition to the $50,000 grant from the Edmund F. and Virginia B. Ball Foundation, Nancy and her husband Tim, owners of Cottonwood Springs Farm in Michigan, have so generously pledged to match the $50,000 initial grant for a grand total of $100,000.
Hereford Youth Awarded $26,250 in Scholarships
National Junior Hereford Association (NJHA) members were awarded more than $26,000 in scholarships from the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) during the Boots and Brew II reception. Recipients included:
- Bill and Jo Ellard Scholarship: Rossie Blinson and Colt Keffer
- Bob and Dolores Call Scholarship: Jake Metch
- Whitehead Ranches and Rocking Chair Ranch Scholarship: Tamar Adcock
- Bob Kube Scholarship: Cameron Kolinski
- Owen Family/Tennessee River Music Inc.: Brady Jensen
- Vanier Family Scholarship: Devann Gregory
- Blin Family Scholarship: Taylor Sidwell
- Gary Bishop Memorial Scholarship: Brady Jensen
Order JNHE Videos
Just in time for Christmas, Hereford enthusiasts can now order a DVD of 2010 VitaFerm Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) highlights.
Included are clips from the championship drives of the owned horned and polled females, bred-and-owned females and bulls, cow-calf pairs and steers. Also included are highlights of the four showmanship championships, the fitting contest and opening ceremonies.
You can order your copy at HerefordPhotoshop.com for $25 plus $5 shipping.
You can also watch highlight videos on Hereford.org.
American Royal, Keystone Photos Available for Purchase
All pictures taken by American Hereford Association (AHA) staff at the JNHE and Keystone may be viewed and ordered at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
If you have any questions, contact Angie Stump Denton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-363-7263.
National Show Season Underway
The North American show date is Nov. 18 in Louisville. A block of rooms have been reserved at the Spring Hill Suites. Block rate is $99. Refer to American Hereford Association.
The Western Nugget National Hereford Show is Dec. 2-4. The final entry deadline is Oct. 30.
Download Entry Form and Entry Letter
The Western Nugget National Junior Hereford Show is Dec. 2. Cody Helms, New Enterprise, Pa., is the judge.
Download Junior Entry Form and Junior Entry Letter
For more information on all the national shows visit Hereford.org.
Herefords Headin’ to Denver
Plan now to attend the Hereford activities scheduled during the 2011 NWSS in Denver, Jan. 13-15. For a complete schedule, visit Hereford.org and the December Hereford World.
Make reservations now at the AHA headquarters hotel:
Renaissance Denver Hotel
3801 Quebec St.
Denver, CO 80207
(888) 238-6762 or (303) 399-7500
Rate: $109 • Cutoff date: Dec. 9
Ask for “American Hereford Association” block. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Denver International Airport and the National Western Stock Show.
Foundation Female Offered as Embryo Package
The Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) is excited to announce The 2011 Foundation Female Offering selling as Lot 1 in the 2011 National Western Mile High Night Sale Friday, Jan. 14.
Lot 1 will be 40 Grade 1 Embryos from the heart of Hoffman Ranch LLC and Hoffman/W4 LLC’s elite donor program.
This year’s foundation female lot is taking a new shape as Hoffman Ranch LLC and Hoffman/W4 are offering you the opportunity to purchase an embryo package that is based around proven genetics will take your Hereford operation to new levels. Hoffman Ranch is home to numerous national champions that are leaving their mark in the Hereford industry. These champions have left the show ring to become donor dams. Watch for more information including terms and conditions.
For more information about the offering visit Hereford.org.
Collect Feed Efficiency Data At Olsens’
Art and Douglas Olsen are looking for cattle to test for feed efficiency at their new state-of-the-art facility with GrowSafe system at Harrisburg, Neb. Bulls, steers or replacement heifers can be tested. Olsens can also collect ultrasound data and even artificially inseminate your heifers for you.
Stop by the ranch or give Art or Douglas a call to discuss the options for your cattle. Office - 308-673-5597; Douglas’ cell - 308-641-1273 or email@example.com.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Nov. 8 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
- Nov. 17 - Montana Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Three Forks, Mont., contact Jerry Gereghty 406-662-3375
- Jan. 4, 2011 - Greater Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill., contact Jerry Huth 920-583-3223
- Jan. 10, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
- April 11, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
- July 11, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
Advertise on Hereford.org
In one month, visitors to Hereford.org viewed 30 banner ads 94,961 times and clicked on them 870 times. Hereford.org is the perfect place for breeders to advertise their operations or businesses to offer services or products. Banner ads serve as direct links to the breeders’ or business’ Web site.
View banner advertising rates. To read how other Hereford breeders are utilizing the banner ads as a marketing tool read “Most Bang For your Banner” in the July Hereford World.
For more information about banner advertising options including bundling with Hereford World advertising and Creative Service packages, contact your AHA field staff member or Caryn Vaught 816-218-2282.
Don’t Forget Chute Scores
The American Hereford Association (AHA) is asking breeders to begin collecting data on dispositions this fall by using chute scores. There is a column on the new weaning sheet or if you have already registered your calves and have a weaning sheet, contact the AHA customer service department to request a new form with the chute score column.
If you use the online system, download the updated forms for use this fall. The information is needed to prove Herefords’ superiority in good disposition and to identify genetic differences within the breed. For more information read the “Performance Matters: Focus on Disposition” column in the August Hereford World.