Promotion Tools Available
Hereford Publications Inc. (HPI) would like to help you promote your bulls, females or farm through display banner advertisement and business cards in four color. HPI is offering single purchases along with package opportunities. Many options are available. Contact Heather Yoho to place your order today at 816-218-2283.
Give the Gift of Hereford Knowledge for Christmas
Consider giving a subscription to the Hereford World magazine this year to your friends or family members. The Hereford World is the communication link between the American Hereford Association and its members and it provides comprehensive breed news and features. The magazine also serves as a beef industry reference and reports trends and developments affecting cattlemen. The Hereford World is the primary marketplace and advertising medium for Hereford seedstock. Visit Hereford.org for more information, subscription rates and form.
Reno Showcases Hereford Champions
A 200-head open show and 129-head junior show made up the Western Nugget National Hereford Show in Reno, Nev., Dec. 2-4. Willard and Patty Wolf, Spokane, Wash., were honored with the 2010 Lifetime Cattlemen Award.
Show winners include:
- Champion horned bull: Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont.; Jason Hoffman, Thedford, Neb., and W4 Ranch, Morgan, Texas, with CL 1 Domino 955W by CL 1 Domino 637S 1ET.
- Champion polled bull: Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, and Albin Farms, Newman, Ill., with C New Era ET by UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Champion horned female: Amelia Stallings, Eugene, Ore., with C Notice Me Nitro 9161 ET by UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Champion polled female: Bailey Buck, Madill, Okla., with 78P 63N Ladysport 51W ET by TH JWR SOP 16G 57G Tundra 63N.
- Premier horned breeder and exhibitor and premier polled breeder: Colyer Herefords
- Premier polled exhibitor: Weimer Cattle Co., Susanville, Calif.
- Junior show champion bred-and-owned female: James and Lane Downing, Terrebonne, Ore., with DCC Sweet Dreams 921 by GO 3196 Advance S109.
- Junior show champion owned female: Rope Stewart, Sterling City, Texas, with H GH Belvakay 9014 ET by GO Excel L18.
- Junior show champion bull: Amelia Stallings with SPH Kaboom 912W ET by SB 122L Git-R-Done 19R ET.
View the complete results on Hereford.org.
Success Continues at Fall Hereford Feeder Calf Sales Across the Country
On Oct. 22 the Kansas Hereford Association (KHA) hosted its 14th annual stocker and feeder calf sale at Manhattan Commission Co., Manhattan, Kan. Nine consignors earned from $130 to $134 per hundredweight (cwt.) on 400 to 500 lb. steers and $124 to $127.50 on 500 to 600 lb. steers. Heavier 600 to 700 lb. steers brought $115 to $117 per cwt. Heifers brought from $110 to a sale top $124 on replacement quality Hereford heifers weighing 597 lb.
Buyers and sellers gathered for the annual Tennessee Hereford Marketing Program (THMP) feeder calf sale Oct. 25. At the Tennessee Livestock Producers' facility in Columbia, 42 consignors sold 605 head of age-, source- and health-verified Hereford and Hereford-cross calves for approximately $48.50 and $53 per head more on average than the reported weekly average, for steers and heifers respectively. The premium for steer calves rose about $13 above last year's premium.
The Kentucky Certified Hereford Influenced Sale continues to grow and earn premiums for sellers. On Oct. 26 sellers earned premiums of more than $4.50 per hundredweight (cwt.) for heifers and nearly $6 per cwt. for steers compared to the weekly average price for each weight range, according to Tim Dietrich, Kentucky Department of Agriculture beef marketing specialist. The 1,035 head of Hereford and Hereford-influenced calves were sold at the Bluegrass South Livestock Market in Stanford, Ky.
More than $750,000 worth of Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves sold Nov. 17 at the second-annual Montana Hereford Association (MHA) sponsored feeder calf sale. Twenty-seven consignors brought the 1,091 head to Headwaters Livestock Auction Yard, Three Forks, Mont. MHA Director Della Ehlke compared the prices paid with the U.S. Department of Agriculture weekly averages and other local sales. "In comparing the results of the MHA sale to feeder calves sold the same day at an auction in Billings, the price ranges for the 500, 600 and 700 weight steers and 500 and 700 weight heifers sold through the MHA sale exceeded those of the cattle sold in the other known Montana sale the same date."
Annual Meeting Resources Now Available
Hereford enthusiasts from across the U.S. and Canada were in Kansas City Oct. 30 to Nov. 1 to participate in the 2010 American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Meeting activities. The fiscal year 2010 year-in-review video is now available at Hereford.org. Also available is the Powerpoint presentation shown at the Annual Meeting and the Annual Report.
Order JNHE Videos
Just in time for Christmas, Hereford enthusiasts can now order a DVD of 2010 VitaFerm Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) highlights.
Included are clips from the championship drives of the owned horned and polled females, bred-and-owned females and bulls, cow-calf pairs and steers. Also included are highlights of the four showmanship championships, the fitting contest and opening ceremonies.
You can order your copy at HerefordPhotoshop.com for $25 plus $5 shipping.
You can also watch highlight videos on Hereford.org.
Reno, American Royal, Keystone Photos Available for Purchase
All pictures taken by American Hereford Association (AHA) staff at the American Royal, Annual Meeting and Keystone may be viewed and ordered at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
If you have any questions, contact Angie Stump Denton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-363-7263.
Herefords Headin’ to Denver
Plan now to attend the Hereford activities scheduled during the 2011 NWSS in Denver, Jan. 13-15. For a complete schedule, visit Hereford.org and the December Hereford World.
Make reservations now at the AHA headquarters hotel:
Renaissance Denver Hotel
3801 Quebec St.
Denver, CO 80207
(888) 238-6762 or (303) 399-7500
Rate: $109 • Cutoff date: Dec. 9
Ask for “American Hereford Association” block. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Denver International Airport and the National Western Stock Show.
NWSS exhibitors: Health Regulations and Testing Requirements are now available.
Foundation Female Offered as Embryo Package
The Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) is excited to announce The 2011 Foundation Female Offering selling as Lot 1 in the 2011 National Western Mile High Night Sale Friday, Jan. 14.
Lot 1 will be 40 Grade 1 Embryos from the heart of Hoffman Ranch LLC and Hoffman/W4 LLC’s elite donor program.
This year’s foundation female lot is taking a new shape as Hoffman Ranch LLC and Hoffman/W4 are offering you the opportunity to purchase an embryo package that is based around proven genetics will take your Hereford operation to new levels. Hoffman Ranch is home to numerous national champions that are leaving their mark in the Hereford industry. These champions have left the show ring to become donor dams. Watch for more information including terms and conditions.
For more information about the offering visit Hereford.org.
Collect Feed Efficiency Data At Olsens’
Art and Douglas Olsen are looking for cattle to test for feed efficiency at their new state-of-the-art facility with GrowSafe system at Harrisburg, Neb. Bulls, steers or replacement heifers can be tested. Olsens can also collect ultrasound data and even artificially inseminate your heifers for you.
Stop by the ranch or give Art or Douglas a call to discuss the options for your cattle. Office - 308-673-5597; Douglas’ cell - 308-641-1273 or email@example.com.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Jan. 4, 2011 - Greater Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill., contact Jerry Huth 920-583-3223
- Jan. 10, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
- Jan. 17, 2011 - Special Hereford Influenced Feeder Cattle Sale, Beatrice 77 Livestock Sales, Beatrice, Neb., contact Dennis Henrichs 402-239-8741 or Russ Tegtmeier 402-865-5805
- Jan. 22, 2011 - Iowa Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Anita Livestock Auction, Anita, Iowa, contact Bernard Vais, 712-762-3330 or Charles Anstey 712-779-0469
- April 11, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
- July 11, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
Advertise on Hereford.org
In one month, visitors to Hereford.org viewed 30 banner ads 94,961 times and clicked on them 870 times. Hereford.org is the perfect place for breeders to advertise their operations or businesses to offer services or products. Banner ads serve as direct links to the breeders’ or business’ Web site.
View banner advertising rates. To read how other Hereford breeders are utilizing the banner ads as a marketing tool read “Most Bang For your Banner” in the July Hereford World.
For more information about banner advertising options including bundling with Hereford World advertising and Creative Service packages, contact your AHA field staff member or Caryn Vaught 816-218-2282.