Hereford Champions Named in Fort Worth
The Southwestern Exposition National Hereford Show was Jan. 31 in Ft. Worth, Texas. Bill Biglieni, Douglas, Manitoba, judged the 222-head show.
- Champion polled bull: Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla.; TCF & Co., Petoskey, Mich.; and Turkey Feather Ranch, Ada, Okla., with STAR TCF Lock-N-Load 300W ET by LaGrand Reload 80P ET.
- Champion horned bull: DeLHawk Cattle, Earlville, Ill., and Happ Herefords, Mendota, Ill., with DeLHawk Kahuna 1009 ET by CH Enuff Prophet 2913.
- Reserve champion polled bull: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb., and OJJ Ranch, Shelley, Idaho, with H WCC/WB 668 Wyarno 9500 ET by TH JWR SOP 16G 57G Tundra 63N.
- Reserve champion horned bull: Rylee Barber, Channing, Texas, with BR Currency 8144 ET by DM BR Sooner.
- Champion horned female: Rope Stewart, Sterling, Texas, with H GH Belvakay 9014 ET by Go Excel L18.
- Champion polled female: Allyson Spears, Brentwood, Calif., with C Miss Nitro 9152 by UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Reserve champion horned female: Bailey Buck, Madill, Okla., with VH Miss Scholarship 103 by KAGS Scholarship S44 ET.
- Reserve champion polled female: Mallorie Phelps, Grandview, Texas, with Purple Vintage 25X ET by SR CG Hard Rock 5073.
For complete results, log on to Hereford.org.
2011 Sire Summary is Now Available
The Spring 2011 Sire Summary is available online and in print. Visit Hereford.org to view it online or call the office at 816-842-3757 to request a printed copy.
Annual Meeting Educational DVDs Are Ready
Hereford breeders can order a DVD of the Educational Forum presentations from the 2010 AHA Annual Meeting. Each DVD costs $25, which includes shipping and handling. For a list of available presentations and to order visit HerefordPhotoshop.com.
New Sire DNA Policy
The AHA will require all Hereford sires born after Jan. 1, 2011, to be DNA genotyped at the official AHA DNA laboratory before their progeny can be registered.
This policy has been adopted to improve the quality control of pedigrees. Numerous times during the year, AHA staff identifies pedigree mistakes, and the discovery comes at times when it is very difficult to make a determination of correct parentage of an animal. Genotyping walking herd sires will be very beneficial toward minimizing this issue in a cost-effective manner.
Download Policy FAQ (PDF)
Use Y for 2011
The year-letter code for 2011 is Y. This notice is for those producers who use the letter codes in their identification system. For more tattoo and identification tips, see Page 18 of the January 2010 Hereford World or visit Hereford.org.
Study Shows $30 Hereford Heterosis Advantage
Calves sired by Hereford bulls have a $30 per head documented advantage in feedlot profitability and 7% advantage in fertility when compared to Angus-sired calves, according to the final Harris Heterosis Research Project report.
Hereford breeders can order copies of the report (PDF), which was included with the January Hereford World and is available online at Hereford.org.
Various package sizes are available, including 10, 25, 50 and 100 copies. To place your order, contact Angie Denton at 785-363-7263.
National Hereford Show Photos Available for Purchase
All pictures taken by American Hereford Association (AHA) staff at the National Hereford Shows this fall and winter may be viewed and ordered at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
If you have any questions, contact Angie Stump Denton at email@example.com or 785-363-7263.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- April 11, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
- July 11, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Assn. Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Eldon, Mo., contact any MHA board member or sale barn at 573-392-5572
Advertise on Hereford.org
In one month, visitors to Hereford.org viewed 30 banner ads 94,961 times and clicked on them 870 times. Hereford.org is the perfect place for breeders to advertise their operations or businesses to offer services or products. Banner ads serve as direct links to the breeders’ or business’ Web site.
View banner advertising rates. To read how other Hereford breeders are utilizing the banner ads as a marketing tool read “Most Bang For your Banner” in the July Hereford World.
For more information about banner advertising options including bundling with Hereford World advertising and Creative Service packages, contact your AHA field staff member or Caryn Vaught 816-218-2282.