Don't Miss “The Harvest” Auction Online
Hereford enthusiasts are in California this weekend for the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) “The Harvest” fundraiser event at Kunde Family Estate in Sonoma, Calif.
If you can't be in California you can still participate and bid online at LiveAuctions.tv. "The Harvest" auction will be Saturday, Aug. 20 at 7:45 p.m. (Pacific) or 9:45 p.m. (Central). All proceeds support Hereford youth through scholarships and education.
"The Harvest" sale catalog is available online and was included with the July Hereford World.
Bred Heifer Contract Offered for Shipment to Kazakhstan
A contract for registered Hereford heifers bred to calve in March and April 2012 has been offered by Decotah Cattle Growers, Center, N.D. This contract is to assemble a large group of bred heifers for shipment to the country of Kazakhstan.
Heifers must be registered, bred to a registered Hereford bull, calfhood vaccinated for brucellosis, and test negative for Leukosis and Johnes. Download full contract details and pricing.
With drought conditions in several parts of the country this contract might offer another marketing opportunity to producers faced with the decision of reducing their cowherd.
This contract needs to be fulfilled by Sept. 5, 2011. Questions concerning this contract may be directed to Ryan Topp at 701-674-3152 or Tom Biglieni 417-827-8482.
Iowa Hereford Tour Scheduled for Aug. 28
The 2011 Iowa Hereford Tour, sponsored by the Iowa Hereford Breeders Association (IHBA), will be Sunday, Aug. 28, in southeast Iowa. Tour stops include Goehring Herefords, Libertyville; K7 Herefords, Lockridge; and Sunrise Polled Herefords, Sperry. IHBA will have its annual meeting during a lunch stop at Lacey State Park, Keosauqua, where four new directors will be elected and the late Keith Hoelzen, Burlington, will be inducted into the Iowa Hereford Hall of Fame.
The public is invited to attend all or part of the tour. Door prizes will be awarded at each stop. For more directions, additional information or lunch reservations, contact tour chairmen Tom Heidt, 608-574-2309, or Bill Goehring, 641-919-8951. Lunch reservations should be made by Aug. 22.
Farmer Wins Reserve Supreme
Payton Farmer, Brownstown, Ind., exhibited the reserve supreme champion female at the 2011 Indiana State Fair Junior Show. EF Louise 195P 0523 ET is a March 25, 2010, daughter of WS Intense Duke 5R. Congrats Payton!
Advertise on Hereford.org
Fall sale season is just around the corner, and Hereford.org is a great place to promote your sale or consignments. Banner ads give potential customers a quick snapshot of your offering and then users can click to get more information.
One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNewsletters. For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Note Annual Meeting Schedule Changes
Make plans now to attend the 2011 American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Meeting Oct. 28-30 in Kansas City, Mo. Hyatt Regency Crown Center, located at 2345 McGee St., will host the event. The hotel is conveniently connected via a glass-enclosed skywalk to the Crown Center Complex, which is home to more than 60 shops and restaurants.
To reserve rooms contact: 816-421-1234 or 800-233-1234.
Below is a tentative schedule of events.
Friday, October 28
- 9 a.m. — New member orientation, AHA Headquarters
(to reserve your space at the orientation, contact Mary Ellen Hummel)
- 1 p.m. — Educational Forum, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- Hereford Genomics Update — Dorian Garrick
- EPD Basics — Matt Spangler
- Getting ’em Bred — Bill Beal
- 4 p.m. — National Hereford Women board meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 6 p.m. — Hereford Homecoming reception, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
Saturday, October 29
- 9 a.m. — Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 1 p.m. — NHW Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 3:30 p.m. — Ladies of the Royal Sale, American Royal Complex Wagstaff Sale Arena
- 7:30 p.m. — American Royal Rodeo and Reba, Sprint Center
Sunday, October 30
- 8 a.m. — National Hereford Show, American Royal Complex
- 9 a.m. — Board Q&A Session, American Royal Complex Governors's Room
These are the candidates for the Board. In future eNews issues we will give biographical information about each.
- David DeLong, Earlville, Ill.
- Fred Larson, Spring Valley, Wis.
- Les Midla, Marianna, Pa.
- David Schubel, Medina, N.Y.
- David Trowbridge, Tabor, Iowa
- Eric Walker, Morrison, Tenn.
Fall Scholarship Applications Due
HYFA, Bud Snidow and Gary Bishop Memorial Scholarship applications need to be emailed to Amy Cowan by Sept. 1.
Also, the OXO World Traveler Scholarship will be awarded this year and is due Dec. 1. This scholarship enables a Hereford youth to attend a World Hereford Conference held every four years, and be a member of the American tour group traveling throughout the host country. The scholarship winner receives $3,500 cash toward the air, hotel and land package of the World Hereford Conference.
Visit the Scholarship page at JrHereford.org to download applications and more information. Winners will be announced during the Annual Meeting in Kansas City.
Fall 2011 EPDs Online
The Fall 2011 Hereford expected progeny differences (EPDs) are now online. Click here to search the new data. Updated Trends, Trait Leaders and Distributions are also posted.
Take Advantage of Unique Opportunity to Own Superior Genetics, Support Foundation
John and Mona Loewen have graciously donated a young sire, Loewen Foundation 34X, 43074983 (PDF), to the Hereford Research Foundation (HRF). Additionally, this young sire has been leased by ABS Global and both the proceeds from the sale of the bull and the semen sale royalties will go to the HRF. Here is an outline of how we will offer this exciting young sire:
- Selling 20 shares at $2,500/share, buyers will receive 100 straws of semen over the next three years. (Semen shipment at buyer's expense).
- All shareholders will be entered into a drawing for three frozen embryos from the dam of “Foundation.”
- The AHA will designate a spot in the young sire test program to test his progeny, including feed intake information.
- “Foundation” will be in the non-certificate AI program.
Special thanks to John and Mona and ABS for this very gracious donation and exciting opportunity. To find out more on how to become a stockholder in this great young bull, please contact Craig Huffhines, Stacy Sanders or Jack Ward at the AHA office at 816-842-3757.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- October 24, 2011 - Tennessee Hereford Marketing Program Sale, Columbia, Tenn., contact John Woolfolk, 731-225-2620 or Darrell Ailshie, 931-212-8512.
- October 25, 2011 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Stanford, Ky. Contact: Lowell Atwood 606-669-1455 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- January 3, 2012 - Great Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill. Contact - Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621 or John Meents 419-306-7480