BuyHereford.com Entry Deadline: Sept. 13
The September BuyHereford.com entry deadline is Sept. 13. This is an excellent marketing opportunity; consignments can include females, bulls, steers, pairs, donor dams, show prospects, embryos, semen, picks of herd or flush rights; commercial female lots, recipient cows or groups of feeder calves. Additional consignments could include ranch or show equipment. You can consign directly on the BuyHereford.com website or contact your AHA field representative or Dennis Schock, 903-815-2004, or Joe Rickabaugh, 816-218-2280.
Tune in to “American Rancher”
American Hereford Association (AHA) will be featured in a segment of “American Rancher” on RFD-TV. The show airs at 9 p.m. EST Monday Sept. 12, 11 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13 and 12 noon Sunday Sept. 18. The show will include a summary of AHA heterosis research featuring Harris Ranch and Circle A Ranch results.
"Like" CHB and Buy Hereford on Facebook
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) and Buy Hereford are new pages on Facebook promoting Hereford beef and Hereford genetics.
Like the CHB page to keep up-to-date on happenings with the CHB program. The Buy Hereford page will highlight upcoming BuyHereford.com sales, as well as Hereford production sales, Hereford events and other Hereford deadlines and announcements.
Churchill Offers Bred Heifer to Support Foundation
Dale and Nancy Venhuizen at Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan, Mont., have graciously offered a bred heifer to benefit the Hereford Research Foundation. She will sell Friday, Sept. 16, as lot 79 in their “Pick of the Pasture Female Sale” in the new sale barn at the ranch. Lot 79 is Churchill Lady 094X, a January 2010 heifer by CJH Harland 408. She is bred to Churchill’s most exciting young bull Churchill Sensation 028X to calve Jan. 27. She is a very nice, complete heifer that will make an excellent cow for anyone, Venhuizen says.
The entire sale price will go directly to the foundation. For more information on her, log on the Churchill website for more on the HRF, go to Hereford.org.
NRSP Open House Planned
Hereford breeders are invited to an open house at the Olsen Ranch on Wednesday, Sept. 21. Located near Harrisburg, Neb., the Olsens have been a test herd for the National Reference Sire Program (NRSP) for more than 10 years.
Beginning at 10 a.m. attendees will have a chance to tour the facility and view cattle as well as hear updates from American Hereford Association staff and advisors regarding Hereford genomic and research efforts.
Olsens are located three hours from Denver, one hour from Cheyenne, Wyo., and 45 minutes from Scottsbluff, Neb. Guests flying into Denver are encouraged to contact Douglas Olsen at 308-641-1273 to coordinate travel arrangements.
For more information, contact Olsen or Jack Ward at 816-842-3757.
Wisconsin Hereford Tour is Sept. 10-11
Make plans to attend the Wisconsin Hereford Association tour Sept. 10 and 11. The tour will kick off Saturday morning at Maple Crest Farm, Cedarburg, Wis., with breakfast and a judging class. Eight other farms will be stops on the tour which continues on Sunday. Other tour highlights include presentations from embryologist Dr. Dan Lapin, and the AHA’s Jack Ward along with a Certified Hereford Beef® steak dinner. Door prizes and awards for judging contest winners will be given away, along with a hot pink blower donated by Kegley Show Supplies. Download the event brochure (PDF) or log on to WisconsinHerefords.org.
Extra meals were ordered so all are welcome!
Make Plans to Attend Western Nugget
Mark your calendars for the Western Nugget National Hereford Show and Sale Dec. 1-3. This is a great show and sale for all Hereford enthusiasts. Visit Hereford.org for more information on the Nugget and other national shows.
Note Annual Meeting Schedule Changes
Make plans now to attend the 2011 American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Meeting Oct. 28-30 in Kansas City, Mo. Hyatt Regency Crown Center, located at 2345 McGee St., will host the event. The hotel is conveniently connected via a glass-enclosed skywalk to the Crown Center Complex, which is home to more than 60 shops and restaurants.
To reserve rooms, call 816-421-1234 or 800-233-1234.
Below is a tentative schedule of events.
Friday, October 28
- 9 a.m. — New member orientation, AHA Headquarters
(to reserve your space at the orientation, contact Mary Ellen Hummel)
- 1 p.m. — Educational Forum, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- Hereford Genomics Update — Dorian Garrick
- EPD Basics — Matt Spangler
- Getting ’em Bred — Bill Beal
- 4 p.m. — National Hereford Women board meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 6 p.m. — Hereford Homecoming reception, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
Saturday, October 29
- 9 a.m. — Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 1 p.m. — NHW Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 3:30 p.m. — Ladies of the Royal Sale, American Royal Complex Wagstaff Sale Arena
- 7:30 p.m. — American Royal Rodeo and Reba, Sprint Center
Sunday, October 30
- 8 a.m. — National Hereford Show, American Royal Complex
- 9 a.m. — Board Q&A Session, American Royal Complex Governors's Room
AHA has reserved a block of tickets for the rodeo and Reba concert. To reserve tickets in the block, contact Mary Ellen Hummel at 816-842-3757.
These are the candidates for the Board. In future eNews issues we will give biographical information about each.
- David DeLong, Earlville, Ill.
- Fred Larson, Spring Valley, Wis.
- Les Midla, Marianna, Pa.
- David Schubel, Medina, N.Y.
- David Trowbridge, Tabor, Iowa
- Eric Walker, Morrison, Tenn.
Advertise on Hereford.org
Fall sale season is just around the corner, and Hereford.org is a great place to promote your sale or consignments. Banner ads give potential customers a quick snapshot of your offering and then users can click to get more information.
One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNewsletters. For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Take Advantage of Unique Opportunity to Own Superior Genetics, Support Foundation
John and Mona Loewen have graciously donated a young sire, Loewen Foundation 34X, 43074983 (PDF), to the Hereford Research Foundation (HRF). Additionally, this young sire has been leased by ABS Global and both the proceeds from the sale of the bull and the semen sale royalties will go to the HRF. Here is an outline of how we will offer this exciting young sire:
- Selling 20 shares at $2,500/share, buyers will receive 100 straws of semen over the next three years. (Semen shipment at buyer's expense).
- All shareholders will be entered into a drawing for three frozen embryos from the dam of “Foundation.”
- The AHA will designate a spot in the young sire test program to test his progeny, including feed intake information.
- “Foundation” will be in the non-certificate AI program.
Special thanks to John and Mona and ABS for this very gracious donation and exciting opportunity. To find out more on how to become a stockholder in this great young bull, please contact Craig Huffhines, Stacy Sanders or Jack Ward at the AHA office at 816-842-3757.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
Oct. 21, 2011 - Kansas Hereford Feeder Calf Sale, Manhattan Commission Co., Manhattan, Kan., contact: Gus Gustafson 785-238-7306, Tom Granzow 785-466-2247 or John Cline 785-776-4815
- Oct. 24, 2011 - Tennessee Hereford Marketing Program Sale, Columbia, Tenn., contact: John Woolfolk, 731-225-2620 or Darrell Ailshie, 931-212-8512.
- Oct. 25, 2011 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Stanford, Ky., contact: Lowell Atwood 606-669-1455 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- Nov. 16, 2011 - Montana Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock Auction, Three Forks, Mont., contact: Jerry Gereghty 406-662-3375 or email@example.com
- Jan. 3, 2012 - Great Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill., contact: Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621 or John Meents 419-306-7480