Read the Whiteface
A special edition of the Whiteface was created for the October issue of the Florida Cattleman and Livestock Journal. It includes a feature on the advantages of the tigerstripe female and other stories directed toward southern commercial producers. You can read it by downloading the PDF.
Make Plans to Attend Annual Meeting;
Hotel Block Deadline is Today
The 2011 American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Meeting will be Oct. 28-30 in Kansas City, Mo. The Hyatt Regency Crown Center, located at 2345 McGee St., will host the event. The hotel is conveniently connected via a glass-enclosed skywalk to the Crown Center Complex, which is home to more than 60 shops and restaurants.
To reserve rooms, call 816-421-1234 or 800-233-1234. The deadline for the room block at the Hyatt Crown Center is Friday, Oct. 7.
Below is a tentative schedule of events.
Friday, October 28
- 9 a.m. — New member orientation, AHA Headquarters
(to reserve your space at the orientation, contact Mary Ellen Hummel)
- 1 p.m. — Educational Forum, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- Hereford Genomics Update — Dorian Garrick
- EPD Basics — Matt Spangler
- Getting ’em Bred — Bill Beal
- 4 p.m. — National Hereford Women board meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 6 p.m. — Hereford Homecoming reception, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
Saturday, October 29
- 9 a.m. — Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 1 p.m. — NHW Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 3 p.m. — Ladies of the Royal Sale, American Royal Complex Wagstaff Sale Arena
- 7:30 p.m. — American Royal Rodeo and Reba, Sprint Center
Sunday, October 30
- 8 a.m. — National Hereford Show, American Royal Complex
- 9 a.m. — Board Q&A Session, American Royal Complex Governors's Room
AHA has reserved a block of tickets for the rodeo and Reba concert. To reserve tickets in the block, contact Mary Ellen Hummel at 816-842-3757.
The AHA nominating committee has announced six Hereford breeders vying for positions on the AHA Board. Each week we will feature one or more candidates.
David Schubel, Medina, N.Y., is a partner in SK Herefords LLC with Phil and Dawn Keppler. The SK herd includes 300 cows, with approximately 100 registered Herefords. Their commercial cows are Herefords and red and black baldies. Prior to forming the partnership with the Kepplers, David had his own herd - Schubel Herefords - from 1986-1996.
Today, David and the Kepplers retain ownership of their calf crop not sold for breeding stock and feed the calves out in their own facility. They also produce corn and forge sufficient for their herd's needs.
David has been a member of AHA and the New York Hereford Association since 1986. He's also a member of the New York Beef Producers Association, having held numerous offices, and the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA). He's been a member of the NCBA beef production research committee and the New York Beef Industry Council, serving as secretary/treasurer and vice president. He has been a member of the Cattlemen's Beef Board (CBB), serving on the joint human nutrition research committee and joint evaluation committee, which he chaired in 2010.
He is also involved in his church, Trinity Lutheran Church, and with various local charities.
Ladies of the Royal Sale Catalog is Online
The sale catalog for the Ladies of the Royal sale is now available at Hereford Marketplace. The sale will start at 3 p.m. Saturday, October 29, at Wagstaff Auction Arena on the American Royal grounds in Kansas City. The sale will feature 27 show heifer/brood cow prospects, seven steers, four embryo packages, one semen package and one flush. Anyone wishing to receive a sale catalog may contact Joe Rickabaugh 785-633-3188 or Heather Yoho 816-218-2283.
AHA Seeks Bulls for Circle A
To continue the heterosis research at Circle A Ranch, the performance department is seeking Hereford bulls to utilize as natural service sires. The bull must be at least 18 months old and will need to be delivered to Circle A by Dec. 1. Bulls will be turned out with cows for about 45 days in single-sire pastures. The progeny will be measured at all stages of production including harvest data on steers and possible feed intake information. Twenty to 25 bulls are needed. Contact Jack Ward at 816-842-3757 if you' are interested and would like to nominate a bull.
Reno Entry Information is Now Available
Mark your calendars for the Western Nugget National Hereford Show and Sale Dec. 1-3. This is a great show and sale for all Hereford enthusiasts. The open show entry form, junior show entry letter and form are now available at Hereford.org.
Rossie Blinson Makes 2012 Beef Ambassador Team
Former National Junior Hereford Association (NJHA) Chairman Rossie Blinson, Buies Creek, N.C., was chosen as one of five members of the 2012 National Beef Ambassador Team at the annual competition. The competition, funded in part by the Beef Checkoff, was Sept. 30-Oct. 2 in Wooster, Ohio. Eighteen senior contestants, ages 17-20, were judged in the areas of consumer promotion, classroom presentation, media interview technique and issues response. Read more about the competition and the responsibilities of the team on the Beef Checkoff website.
Interested in Hereford Magazine Collection?
Myron Danielson has a collection of magazines from 1974 to the present he would like to give away. Please contact Myron at 507-365-8949 if you are interested in this collection.
Spring Analysis Data Deadline Nov. 1
All data need to be submitted prior to Nov. 1 in order to be included in the next genetic evaluation. The AHA performance department requests all breeders submit cow weights and body condition scores when sending weaning weights. These weights and scores are imperative to the development of longevity and fertility genetic selection traits. Please remember to include chute scores as well. Contact Jack Ward, 816-842-3757, with questions.
Stallings Polled Herefords Donates to HYFA
in Honor of Ken Tracy
In honor of the late Ken Tracy, Stallings Polled Herefords, Eugene, Ore., will donate 10% of all gross sales from its “On the Horizon” production sale Oct. 8. The money will go to the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) to be distributed through a scholarship in Ken’s name.
The sale, which includes several guest consignors, is at 1 p.m. Oct. 8 at the ranch, and will also be broadcast at LiveAuctions.tv. For more information, visit the Stallings Polled Herefords website.
North Dakota Hereford Tour Oct. 8
The 2011 North Dakota Hereford Tour will be Saturday, Oct. 8. The tour will headquarter at Belfield, N.D., with six stops featuring seven Hereford breeders in the southwestern area of the state. A social and banquet will follow the event, during which the state Hereford Breeder of the Year, and the state Commercial Hereford Breeder of the Year will be honored.
For bus reservations or more information, contact Rollie and Tama Baumgarten at 701-575-8292 or 701-290-3469
HRF Auction Scheduled for Nov. 8
There will be a BuyHereford.com online auction to benefit the Hereford Research Foundation (HRF) Nov. 8. Equipment, embryos, semen, flushes, hunting trips and other items will be offered to raise funds for HRF in order to fund special research. Watch for more information in future issues of Hereford eNews.
CHB LLC Foodservice Marketing Experiences Tremendous Growth in 2011
Fiscal year 2011 was excellent for Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) LLC, posting the second highest year in volume at 40.5 million lb. sold. Foodservice was the big winner with 47% growth and a total of 11 million lb. sold.
“2011 proved to be a very successful year in both growth and exposure for the brand,” says Craig Huffhines, American Hereford Association (AHA) executive vice president. CHB LLC is a subsidiary of the AHA with its fiscal year ending Aug. 31. For more fiscal year highlights, download the year-end press release.
Request for Blood Samples
Jack Ward, AHA director of breed improvement, requests that breeders collect blood samples on any cattle with issues such as cancer eye or prolapse. Contact Jack at 816-842-3757 or Jon Beever for more information.
NHW To Elect New Directors
The National Hereford Women (NHW) announced its nominees for new directors. Colleen Chaffin, Texas, Lauren Echols, Virginia and Catie Sims, Oklahoma, will vie for positions on the NHW board of directors.
The vote will take place during the NHW’s annual meeting at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center in Kansas City, Mo.
If you are unable to attend, you may download the absentee ballot and mail or e-mail it by Oct. 25.
"Like" CHB and Buy Hereford on Facebook
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) and Buy Hereford are new pages on Facebook promoting Hereford beef and Hereford genetics.
Like the CHB Facebook page to keep up-to-date on happenings with the CHB program. The Buy Hereford Facebook page will highlight upcoming BuyHereford.com sales, as well as Hereford production sales, Hereford events and other Hereford deadlines and announcements.
Advertise on Hereford.org
Fall sale season is just around the corner, and Hereford.org is a great place to promote your sale or consignments. Banner ads give potential customers a quick snapshot of your offering and then users can click to get more information.
One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNewsletters. For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Take Advantage of Unique Opportunity to Own Superior Genetics, Support Foundation
John and Mona Loewen have graciously donated a young sire, Loewen Foundation 34X, 43074983 (PDF), to the Hereford Research Foundation (HRF). Additionally, this young sire has been leased by ABS Global and both the proceeds from the sale of the bull and the semen sale royalties will go to the HRF. Here is an outline of how we will offer this exciting young sire:
- Selling 20 shares at $2,500/share, buyers will receive 100 straws of semen over the next three years. (Semen shipment at buyer's expense).
- All shareholders will be entered into a drawing for three frozen embryos from the dam of “Foundation.”
- The AHA will designate a spot in the young sire test program to test his progeny, including feed intake information.
- “Foundation” will be in the non-certificate AI program.
Special thanks to John and Mona and ABS for this very gracious donation and exciting opportunity. To find out more on how to become a stockholder in this great young bull, please contact Craig Huffhines, Stacy Sanders or Jack Ward at the AHA office at 816-842-3757.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Oct. 21, 2011 - Kansas Hereford Feeder Calf Sale, Manhattan Commission Co., Manhattan, Kan., contact: Gus Gustafson 785-238-7306, Tom Granzow 785-466-2247 or John Cline 785-776-4815
- Oct. 24, 2011 - Tennessee Hereford Marketing Program Sale, Columbia, Tenn., contact: John Woolfolk, 731-225-2620 or Darrell Ailshie, 931-212-8512.
- Oct. 25, 2011 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Stanford, Ky., contact: Lowell Atwood 606-669-1455 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- Nov. 7, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- Nov. 16, 2011 - Montana Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock Auction, Three Forks, Mont., contact: Jerry Gereghty 406-662-3375 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jan. 3, 2012 - Great Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill., contact: Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- Jan. 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- April 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669