Hereford Research Foundation Fundraiser Set for Nov. 8
Check out the unique offerings in the Hereford Research Foundation (HRF) fundraiser auction. The auction will be online at BuyHereford.com Nov. 8. Items include semen, embryos, advertising packages, hunting and fishing opportunities and much more.
October BuyHereford.com Online Auction next Tuesday
Bidding opens 8 a.m. EDT Tuesday, Oct. 25, on a great set of Hereford genetics. For more information, check out the catalog at BuyHereford.com.
Annual Meeting Starts Next Weekend
The 2011 American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Meeting will be Oct. 28-30 in Kansas City, Mo. The Hyatt Regency Crown Center, located at 2345 McGee St., will host the event. The hotel is conveniently connected via a glass-enclosed skywalk to the Crown Center Complex, which is home to more than 60 shops and restaurants.
Below is a tentative schedule of events.
Friday, October 28
- 9 a.m. — New member orientation, AHA Headquarters
(to reserve your space at the orientation, contact Mary Ellen Hummel)
- 1 p.m. — Educational Forum, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- Hereford Genomics Update — Dorian Garrick
- EPD Basics — Matt Spangler
- Getting ’em Bred — Bill Beal
- 4 p.m. — National Hereford Women board meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 6 p.m. — Hereford Homecoming reception, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
Saturday, October 29
- 9 a.m. — Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 1 p.m. — NHW Annual Meeting, Hyatt Regency Crown Center
- 3 p.m. — Ladies of the Royal Sale, American Royal Complex Wagstaff Sale Arena
- 7:30 p.m. — American Royal Rodeo and Reba, Sprint Center
Sunday, October 30
- 8 a.m. — National Hereford Show, American Royal Complex
- 9 a.m. — Board Q&A Session, American Royal Complex Governors's Room
AHA has reserved a block of tickets for the rodeo and Reba concert. To reserve tickets in the block, contact Mary Ellen Hummel at 816-842-3757.
The AHA nominating committee has announced six Hereford breeders vying for positions on the AHA Board. Each week we will feature one or more candidates.
Eric Walker of Morrison, Tenn., inherited the love of the Hereford breed from his father, Sam Walker, who was a weighmaster at the local stockyard and raised commercial Hereford cattle.
In 1981 Eric purchased his first registered Hereford, and now, 30 years later, he owns and manages a herd of 125 registered Hereford cows.
He has utilized AI since 1982 and ET since 1989. He has collected ultrasound data since 1999. His farm has hosted 16 production sales since 1986. The Walker program has bred class winners and champions at shows on a local, state and national level. Walker genetics have been sold in 32 states, as well as Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom.
The Walker cow herd utilizes approximately 500 acres of his total 1,100-acre farming operation. The remaining 600 acres are used for the production of shade and ornamental trees and shrubs that supply products for Walker Nursery Co. Eric is the sole proprietor of Walker Nursery Co., and he sells and markets his products to the landscape and retail green industry, shipping to 35 different states.
Eric is a member of the Middle and East Tennessee Hereford Associations, as well as a member of the Tennessee and Warren County Cattlemen's Associations. He has been a director and president of the Tennessee Polled Hereford Association. He has served twice on the AHA nominating committee and has been a delegate to the AHA Annual Membership Meeting for several years. He is also a past president of the Tennessee Nursery and Landscape Association and currently serves as secretary for the Regional Planning Commission Board for the town of Morrison.
Eric and his family — wife, Rhonda; son, Cody; and a stepson, Casey — are members of the Central Church of Christ in McMinnville.
Ladies of the Royal Sale Catalog is Online
The sale catalog for the Ladies of the Royal sale is now available at Hereford Marketplace. The sale will start at 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at Wagstaff Auction Arena on the American Royal grounds in Kansas City. The sale will feature 27 show heifer/brood cow prospects, seven steers, four embryo packages, one semen package and one flush. Anyone wishing to receive a sale catalog may contact Joe Rickabaugh 785-633-3188 or Heather Yoho 816-218-2283.
In the Sept. 30 edition of eNews, MCR B Pure Prophet 9148ET was correctly congratulated for winning supreme grand champion bull of all breeds at the Kansas State Fair. Unfortunately Douthit-Downey Land & Cattle, St. Francis, Kan., was not reported as an owner. We apologize for the error.
Hereford Christmas cards available
If you're planning to send Christmas greetings this year, consider Hereford-themed Christmas cards available through online ordering.
Information about the cards is now available on Hereford.org. Christmas card orders will be accepted and shipped through Boelte-Hall through mid-December, subject to availability. A portion of the card sales will benefit the Hereford Youth Foundation of America.
AHA Seeks Bulls for Circle A
To continue the heterosis research at Circle A Ranch, the performance department is seeking Hereford bulls to utilize as natural service sires. The bull must be at least 18 months old and will need to be delivered to Circle A by Dec. 1. Bulls will be turned out with cows for about 45 days in single-sire pastures. The progeny will be measured at all stages of production including harvest data on steers and possible feed intake information. Twenty to 25 bulls are needed. Contact Jack Ward at 816-842-3757 if you' are interested and would like to nominate a bull.
OXO World Traveler Scholarship deadline is Dec. 1
Hereford youth interested in attending the World Hereford Conference should apply for the OXO World Traveler Scholarship. Due Dec. 1, this scholarship enables a Hereford youth to attend the 2012 World Hereford Conference in Alberta, Canada.
Special activities and competitions for the youth are being planned July 14-18 in conjunction with Canada's Junior Bonanza Show in Olds, Alberta.
The scholarship winner will receive $4,500 cash to use toward the air, hotel and land package. Visit JrHereford.org to download an application.
Reno Entry Information is Now Available
Mark your calendars for the Western Nugget National Hereford Show and Sale Dec. 1-3. This is a great show and sale for all Hereford enthusiasts. The open show entry form, junior show entry letter and form are now available at Hereford.org.
Interested in Hereford Magazine Collection?
Myron Danielson has a collection of magazines from 1974 to the present he would like to give away. Please contact Myron at 507-365-8949 if you are interested in this collection.
Spring Analysis Data Deadline Nov. 1
All data need to be submitted prior to Nov. 1 in order to be included in the next genetic evaluation. The AHA performance department requests all breeders submit cow weights and body condition scores when sending weaning weights. These weights and scores are imperative to the development of longevity and fertility genetic selection traits. Please remember to include chute scores as well. Contact Jack Ward, 816-842-3757, with questions.
Request for Blood Samples
Jack Ward, AHA director of breed improvement, requests that breeders collect blood samples on any cattle with issues such as cancer eye or prolapse. Contact Jack at 816-842-3757 or Jon Beever for more information.
NHW To Elect New Directors
The National Hereford Women (NHW) announced its nominees for new directors. Colleen Chaffin, Texas, Lauren Echols, Virginia and Catie Sims, Oklahoma, will vie for positions on the NHW board of directors.
The vote will take place during the NHW’s annual meeting at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center in Kansas City, Mo.
If you are unable to attend, you may download the absentee ballot and mail or e-mail it by Oct. 25.
"Like" CHB and Buy Hereford on Facebook
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) and Buy Hereford are new pages on Facebook promoting Hereford beef and Hereford genetics.
Like the CHB Facebook page to keep up-to-date on happenings with the CHB program. The Buy Hereford Facebook page will highlight upcoming BuyHereford.com sales, as well as Hereford production sales, Hereford events and other Hereford deadlines and announcements.
Advertise on Hereford.org
Fall sale season is just around the corner, and Hereford.org is a great place to promote your sale or consignments. Banner ads give potential customers a quick snapshot of your offering and then users can click to get more information.
One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNewsletters. For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Oct. 21, 2011 - Kansas Hereford Feeder Calf Sale, Manhattan Commission Co., Manhattan, Kan., contact: Gus Gustafson 785-238-7306, Tom Granzow 785-466-2247 or John Cline 785-776-4815
- Oct. 25, 2011 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Stanford, Ky., contact: Lowell Atwood 606-669-1455 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- Nov. 7, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- Nov. 16, 2011 - Montana Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock Auction, Three Forks, Mont., contact: Jerry Gereghty 406-662-3375 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jan. 3, 2012 - Great Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill., contact: Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- Jan. 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- April 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669