Breiner Elected AHA President, Directors Named
David Breiner, Alma, Kan., was announced as the new president of the American Hereford Association (AHA) during the Annual Membership Meeting in Kansas City, Mo., Oct. 29. Cliff Copeland, Nara Visa, N.M., was named the new vice president.
Delegates elected three new Directors during the membership meeting. Fred Larson, Spring Valley, Wis.; David Trowbridge, Tabor, Iowa; and Eric Walker, Morrison, Tenn., will serve four-year terms on the 12-member Board.
Completing their terms on the AHA Board were outgoing president, John Woolfolk, Columbia, Tenn.; Jerry Huth, Oakfield, Wis.; and Jim Milligan, Kings, Ill.
For more on the new leadership and issues discussed at Annual Meeting, check out the December Hereford World.
Hall of Fame, Merit Inductees Honored
Charlie Boyd, Mayslick, Ky.; Harold and Pat Carswell, Osborne, Kan.; Earl Forrest, Saluda, S.C.; Marvin and the late Ella Meek, Tazewell, Va., Gino Pedretti, El Nido, Calif.; Harold Sidwell, Carr, Colo., were inducted into the Hereford Hall of Fame Oct. 29 during the AHA Annual Meeting. Ed Meacham Norman Okla., was inducted into the Hereford Hall of Merit. Read all about the inductees in the December Hereford World.
American Royal Champions Named
Jeff Gooden of Iberia, Mo., evaluated the 187-head open show at the 2011 American Royal National Hereford Show Oct. 30 in Kansas City.
- Champion bull: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb., and OJJ Ranch, Shelley, Idaho, with H WCC/WB 668 Wyarno 9500 ET.
- Reserve champion bull: Chance Deppe, Maquoketa, Iowa, with DEP Good & Plenty ET.
- Champion female: Edy Brainard, Canadian, Texas, with KLD 3060 Penny Lane D105 ET.
- Reserve champion female: Korbin Collins, Flanagan, Ill., with Purple RRO Ruby 41X.
- Champion cow-calf pair: Jamie Brown, Kentwood, Mich., with BPH JLB Tyra 3P and a March heifer calf by BPH JLB 236G Everton 7S at side.
- Reserve champion cow-calf pair: Brianne Abramovitz, Columbia, Mo., with MHF 4S Willa 18U and an April bull calf by GO 3196 Advance S109 at side.
- Premier exhibitor: Brianne Abramovitz.
- Premier breeder: Purple Reign Cattle Co., Toulon, Ill.
Robert Alden of Hamilton, Mo., judged the 90-head junior show prior to the open show. KPH Purple Snooki 002 exhibited by Karey Howes, Taneytown, M.D., was slapped the grand champion heifer. Taking reserve honors in the junior show was Jessica Middleswarth, Torrington, Wyo., with TH 525 63N Fairview 84X.
Hereford Youth Awarded $26,250 in Scholarships
National Junior Hereford Association (NJHA) members were awarded more than $26,000 in scholarships from the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) Oct. 29, 2011, during the American Hereford Association Annual Meeting in Kansas City.
Cody Jensen, Courtland, Kan., and Brady Jensen, Courtland, Kan., won the $5,000 Bill and Jo Ellard Scholarships from HYFA. Another $5,000 scholarship awarded was the Bob and Dolores Call Scholarship to Danielle Starr, Manawa, Wis.
Four $2,500 scholarships were awarded. Rossie Blinson, Buies Creek, N.C., was presented the Bob & Lucy Kube Scholarship and Courtney Schultz, Haviland, Kan., was awarded the Whitehead Ranches/Rocking Chair Ranch Scholarship.
Matt Woolfolk, was chosen the recipient of the Owen Family/Tennessee River Music Scholarship. Also new this year is the Ball Foundation/Cottonwood Springs Ranch Scholarship that was awarded to Jake Metch, Afton, N.Y.
Also awarded were two $1,250 scholarships. Tamar Adcock, Assumption, Ill., was chosen this year's recipient of the Vanier Family Scholarship and the Blin Family Scholarship went to Cody Beck, Bainbridge, Ind.
Bid Now to Support Hereford Research Foundation
BuyHereford.com is hosting a fundraising auction for the Hereford Research Foundation (HRF). All proceeds will go to the HRF, which helps fund research to further the Hereford breed. There are more than 40 items to choose from thanks to many generous supporters. Bidding is now open, but will close Nov. 8. Log on to BuyHereford.com and help fund Hereford research!
Junior Advantage Newsletter Now Available
The fall Advantage Newsletter for junior members is now available on Hereford.org.
Hereford Christmas cards available
If you're planning to send Christmas greetings this year, consider Hereford-themed Christmas cards available through online ordering.
Information about the cards is now available on Hereford.org. Christmas card orders will be accepted and shipped through Boelte-Hall through mid-December, subject to availability. A portion of the card sales will benefit the Hereford Youth Foundation of America.
AHA Seeks Bulls for Circle A
To continue the heterosis research at Circle A Ranch, the performance department is seeking Hereford bulls to utilize as natural service sires. The bull must be at least 18 months old and will need to be delivered to Circle A by Dec. 1. Bulls will be turned out with cows for about 45 days in single-sire pastures. The progeny will be measured at all stages of production including harvest data on steers and possible feed intake information. Twenty to 25 bulls are needed. Contact Jack Ward at 816-842-3757 if you' are interested and would like to nominate a bull.
OXO World Traveler Scholarship deadline is Dec. 1
Hereford youth interested in attending the World Hereford Conference should apply for the OXO World Traveler Scholarship. Due Dec. 1, this scholarship enables a Hereford youth to attend the 2012 World Hereford Conference in Alberta, Canada.
Special activities and competitions for the youth are being planned July 14-18 in conjunction with Canada's Junior Bonanza Show in Olds, Alberta.
The scholarship winner will receive $4,500 cash to use toward the air, hotel and land package. Visit JrHereford.org to download an application.
Request for Blood Samples
Jack Ward, AHA director of breed improvement, requests that breeders collect blood samples on any cattle with issues such as cancer eye or prolapse. Contact Jack at 816-842-3757 or Jon Beever for more information.
"Like" CHB and Buy Hereford on Facebook
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) and Buy Hereford are new pages on Facebook promoting Hereford beef and Hereford genetics.
Like the CHB Facebook page to keep up-to-date on happenings with the CHB program. The Buy Hereford Facebook page will highlight upcoming BuyHereford.com sales, as well as Hereford production sales, Hereford events and other Hereford deadlines and announcements.
Advertise on Hereford.org
Fall sale season is just around the corner, and Hereford.org is a great place to promote your sale or consignments. Banner ads give potential customers a quick snapshot of your offering and then users can click to get more information.
One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNewsletters. For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Nov. 7, 2011 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- Nov. 16, 2011 - Montana Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock Auction, Three Forks, Mont., contact: Jerry Gereghty 406-662-3375 or email@example.com
- Jan. 3, 2012 - Great Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Carthage, Ill., contact: Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621 or John Meents 419-306-7480
- Jan. 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- April 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669