Trust Named Supreme Hereford in Denver
Hereford excitement abounded in Denver last week during the 2012 National Western Stock Show (NWSS). A total of 738 Herefords were exhibited throughout the three-day event, which is about 100 more than last year. There was 408 head in the open show, 133 in the junior show, 32 pens of bulls, 17 heifer pens and five carloads.
The winners were:
- Supreme Hereford and Champion Polled Bull: Ned and Jan Ward, Sheridan, Wyo., and River Valley Polled Herefords, Newburg, Ont., with NJW 73S M326 Trust 100W ET by KCF Bennett 3008.
- Champion Horned Bull: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb., and OJJ Ranch, Shelley, Idaho, with H W4 Grizzly 0146 ET by Golden Oak Outcross 18U.
- Reserve Champion Polled Bull: Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla.; DeLHawk Cattle, Earlville, Ill.; Moss Land & Cattle, Powell Butte, Ore.; and Shock Wave Group, Skiatook, Okla., with STAR Shock Wave 13Y ET by STAR Shock & Awe 158W ET.
- Reserve Champion Horned Bull: Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, and Curtis & Jackie Castle, Crawford, Okla., with C Chanel's Nitro 1027 ET by UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Champion Polled Female and Junior Show Champion Polled Female: Blake Tucker, North Platte, Neb., with TCC Ms Diana 01 by CRR About Time 743.
- Champion Horned Female: Haley Hudson, Harrison, Ark., with Churchill Lady 0230X ET by Golden Oak Outcross 18U.
- Reserve Champion Polled Female and Junior Show Reserve Champion Polled Female: Bailey Buck, Madill, Okla., with Blacktop Vicky 028 ET by BR Moler ET.
- Reserve Champion Horned Female: Elizabeth Nessler, Sherman, Ill., with GKB TMH 158W Breeze 113 ET by STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET.
- Polled Premier Breeder, Premier Exhibitor, Best Six Head: Star Lake Cattle Ranch
- Polled Get-of-Sire: Star Lake Cattle Ranch with group sired by STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET.
- Horned Premier Exhibitor, Co-Premier Breeder, Best Six Head: Four L Hereford Farm, Atwood, Tenn.
- Horned Co-Premier Breeder: Barber Ranch, Channing, Texas
- Horned Get of Sire: Four L Hereford Farm with group sired by GH Rambo 279R.
- Junior Show Champion Horned Female: Korbin Collins, Flanagan, Ill., with Purple RRO Ruby 41X by JCS Showtime.
- Junior Show Reserve Champion Horned Female: Kari Brumley, Orovada, Nev., with BF 743 Burlesque 092X ET by CRR About Time 743.
- Champion Carload: Star Lake Cattle Ranch.
- Reserve Champion Carload: Delaney Herefords, Benton, Minn.
- Champion Bull Pen: Colyer Herefords.
- Reserve Bull Pen: Sandhill Farms, Haviland, Kan.
- Champion Female Pen: Grandview/CMR, Como, Miss.
- Reserve champion female pen: Perks Ranch, Rockford, Ill.
Mile High Night Sale = Really Strong
Joe Rickabaugh, AHA director of seedstock marketing, reports the Mile High Night National Hereford Sale during the National Western Stock Show was extremely strong this year. The total gross for the sale was $372,025. This sale gross included the HYFA lot ,which brought $20,000 from Belle Point Ranch in Arkansas. Leading the averages at $41,213 was 4.41 lots of bulls grossing $181,750. Twelve females paced the ring at a gross of $102,250 or an average of $8,521 while 5 flushes gathered $46,000 to average $9,200. Rounding out the averages were 33 embryos averaging $667 per egg for a gross of $22,025. As usual a standing-room-only crowd was present to witness this solid sale.
McMahon Family Purchases Embryo Package for $20,000 to Benefit Hereford Youth
Hereford enthusiasts once again came together to support youth during the NWSS Mile High Night Sale. Belle Point Ranch and the Dave and Mary Ann McMahon family of Ft. Smith, Ark., generously supported the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) by purchasing the embryo package for $20,000.
With the purchase of Lot 1, Belle Point and the McMahons have acquired six exciting matings, 20 embryos in all, and some of the top Hereford genetics in the country.
These generous donors contributed to the embryo package:
- Sunset Ridge Herefords, Billy Martin, Cumming, Ga.
- Mill Creek Ranch/Pied Piper Farms, Alma, Kan., and Hamlin, Texas
- Jensen Bros., Kevin and Shelia, Courtland, Kan.
- Topp Herefords, Ryan and Prairie Topp, Grace City, N.D.
- Fawcett's Elm Creek Ranch, Keith and Cheryl, Daniel and Kari, Ree Heights, S.D.
Congratulations Olsen Family
Olsen Ranches Inc., Harrisburg, Neb., was honored with a Hereford Innovator Award by the American Hereford Association (AHA) for its commitment to the Hereford industry and the National Reference Sire Program. Art and Karyn Olsen, and Douglas and Pam Olsen were presented with the award at the National Western Stock Show Hereford Carload and Pen Show in Denver, Jan. 13. Visit Hereford.org for more information about the Olsen family and their commitment to the Hereford breed.
World Hereford Conference 2012 in Canada
It's not too early to think about attending the World Hereford Conference, hosted by our neighbors to the north, the Canadian Hereford Association. This world-wide event is held every four years and will kick off with pre-tours in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Sunday, July 8. From there the group will make its way east to Calgary for the main part of the conference that starts on Friday, July 13. During the next six days there will be tours, a day-long technical conference, the World Hereford Conference Cattle Show and Junior Show and of course, the famous Calgary Stampede. This is the 100th anniversary of the Stampede that will make this year's event even more spectacular. After a farewell barbeque dinner on Wednesday, July 18, a post-conference tour will continue going east and end in Niagara Falls on July 24.
There are many options that allow you to take in the entire 17 days or parts of the event. We will continue to give you more details on the various travel options through the next months. Deadline for registrations is May 15. To view the schedule, fees and tour options go to the World Hereford Conference website.
Diane Johnson is the event concierge for the American Hereford Association group and is available to answer your questions and assist with your travel arrangements.
Be Part of the 2012 AI Book
Don't miss your chance to be part of the 2012 AI Book that is sent out with our March issue of Hereford World. Deadline for ad materials is Jan. 25. Please remember, ads in this book are placed according to when ALL ad materials are received in the AHA office. Please contact Caryn Vaught, 816-218-2282 for more information.
Educational Forum Video, Photos Available
Hereford enthusiasts can also order a copy of the educational forums during the Annual Meeting online at HerefordPhotoshop.com. The forum featured presentations on genomics, EPDs and reproduction by Dorian Garrick, Matt Spangler and Bill Beal.
Photos from Reno, the Annual Meeting and the American Royal National Hereford Show are also available at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
Advertise on Hereford.org
In one month, visitors to Hereford.org viewed 30 banner ads 94,961 times and clicked on them 870 times. Hereford.org is the perfect place for breeders to advertise their operations or businesses to offer services or products. Banner ads serve as direct links to the breeders’ or business’ Website or online sale catalog.
To read how other Hereford breeders are utilizing the banner ads as a marketing tool read “Most Bang For your Banner” in the July 2010 Hereford World.
For more information about banner advertising options including bundling with Hereford World advertising and Creative Service packages, contact your AHA field staff member or Caryn Vaught at 816-218-2282.
Use “Z” for 2012
“Z” is the tattoo letter code for 2012.
Deadline Extended — Producers Reminded to Participate in Cattle Survey
Please help us assure that we continue to get widespread response from cattle producers across the U.S. to provide a strong production sector voice in the results and strategy of the checkoff-funded National Beef Quality Audit (NBQA). To assure full opportunity for producers to participate the survey will remain open until Feb. 6, 2012. The survey can be taken online at CattleSurvey.com and requires less than 10 minutes to complete.
The checkoff needs producer input for the following reasons:
- The results of the survey will help drive the recommendation from the National Beef Quality Audit and assure that the strategies are developed based on a strong grassroots message.
- Results of the NBQA will be used to enhance the beef industry’s message to supply chain partners, opinion influencers, and consumers. The survey provides an avenue for U.S. cattle producers to tell their collective story about on-ranch commitment to quality. NBQA results will be used to demonstrate value to international customers.
- Historically, the NBQA has yielded significant value to our industry by driving continuous improvement initiatives, providing strategic focus, and demonstrating opportunities for increased demand and profitability.
Request for Blood Samples
Jack Ward, AHA director of breed improvement, requests that breeders collect blood samples on any cattle with issues such as cancer eye or prolapse. Contact Jack at 816-842-3757 or Jon Beever for more information.
"Like" CHB and Buy Hereford on Facebook
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) and Buy Hereford are new pages on Facebook promoting Hereford beef and Hereford genetics.
Like the CHB Facebook page to keep up-to-date on happenings with the CHB program. The Buy Hereford Facebook page will highlight upcoming BuyHereford.com sales, as well as Hereford production sales, Hereford events and other Hereford deadlines and announcements.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Jan. 30, 2012 - Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Beatrice 77 Livestock Sales, Beatrice, Neb., contact: Dennis Henrichs 402-239-8741 or Russ Tegtmeier 402-865-5805
- April 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669