Denton Wins NCBA Award
Angie Stump Denton, American Hereford Association communications director and Hereford World editor, was honored with the National Cattlemen' Beef Association's 2011 Excellence in Communication and Public Relations award for a breed affiliate at the 2012 Cattle Industry Convention in Nashville February 1. Read more about the award at NCBA's website.
View Educational Hereford Videos on YouTube
American Hereford Association (AHA) has released two educational videos about expected progeny differences (EPDs). They are the first in a series of educational video that will be posted to the Hereford YouTube channel.
Champions Named in Ft. Worth
At the 2012 Southwestern Exposition National Hereford Show 217 head were judged by Doug Satree, Montague, Texas, Jan. 30. The winners were:
- Champion horned bull: Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, and Curtis & Jackie Castle, Crawford, Okla., with C Chanel's Nitro 1027 ET by UPS TCC Nitro 1ET.
- Reserve champion horned bull: Gary & Kathy Buchholz, Waxahachie, Texas; Purple Reign Cattle Co., Toulon, Ill.; and Prairie Rose Cattle Co., Sherman, Ill., with GKB PRCC Downtown Avenue ET by GKB Downtown B627 ET.
- Champion polled bull: Star Lake Cattle Ranch, Skiatook, Okla.; DeLHawk Cattle, Earlville, Ill.; Moss Land & Cattle, Powell Butte, Ore.; and Shock Wave Group, Skiatook, Okla., with STAR Shock Wave 13Y ET by STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET.
- Reserve champion polled bull: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb., and OJJ Ranch, Shelley, Idaho, with H WCC/WB 668 Wyarno 9500 ET by TH JWR SOP 16G 57G Tundra 63N.
- Champion horned female: Korbin Collins, Flanagan, Ill., with Purple RRO Ruby 41X by JCS Showtime.
- Reserve champion horned female: Kari Brumley, Orovada, Nev., with BF 743 Burlesque 092X ET by CRR About Time 092X ET.
- Champion polled female: Kyra Stierwalt, Leedey, Okla., with GO Ms Outcross X76 by Golden Oak Outcross 18U.
- Reserve champion polled female: Barber Ranch, Channing, Texas, with BR CSF Breezy 1076 ET by STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET.
- Horned premier breeder and exhibitor, best six head and first-place get-of-sire: Langford Herefords, Okmulgee, Okla.
- Polled premier breeder and exhibitor: Star Lake Cattle Ranch
Hereford Named Supreme Champion at Sioux Empire
LCX MD Keepsake 118ET was named supreme champion bull at the Sioux Empire Farm Show, Sioux Falls, S.D., Jan. 26. Keepsake is owned by Larry Crane, Mitchell, S.D., and is a son of TCC Mr Davidson 81ET.
Nelson Land & Cattle BuyHereford Sale Begins Feb. 8
Bidding opens Feb. 8 on a prime selection of embryos and semen from the elite genetics of the Nelson program at BuyHereford.com. Sale photos and information are posted now. Go to BuyHereford.com to view all the lots and for more information on the Nelson program. Bidding closes Feb. 11.
Junior AI Program Forms Due Feb. 10
National Junior Hereford Associaiton (NJHA) members who exhibited in a 2011 AHA-sponsored junior heifer show are eligible to participate in the NJHA Junior AI Program. Visit the Junior Form Center to download information and application forms.
World Hereford Conference 2012 in Canada
It's not too early to think about attending the World Hereford Conference, hosted by our neighbors to the north, the Canadian Hereford Association. This world-wide event is held every four years and will kick off with pre-tours in Vancouver, British Columbia, on Sunday, July 8. From there the group will make its way east to Calgary for the main part of the conference that starts on Friday, July 13. During the next six days there will be tours, a day-long technical conference, the World Hereford Conference Cattle Show and Junior Show and of course, the famous Calgary Stampede. This is the 100th anniversary of the Stampede that will make this year's event even more spectacular. After a farewell barbeque dinner on Wednesday, July 18, a post-conference tour will continue going east and end in Niagara Falls on July 24.
There are many options that allow you to take in the entire 17 days or parts of the event. We will continue to give you more details on the various travel options through the next months. Deadline for registrations is May 15. To view the schedule, fees and tour options go to the World Hereford Conference website.
Diane Johnson is the event concierge for the American Hereford Association group and is available to answer your questions and assist with your travel arrangements.
Be Part of the 2012 AI Book
Don't miss your chance to be part of the 2012 AI Book that is sent out with the March Hereford World.Please remember, ads in this book are placed according to when ALL ad materials are received in the AHA office. Please contact Caryn Vaught, 816-218-2282 for more information.
Educational Forum Video, Photos Available
Hereford enthusiasts can also order a copy of the educational forums during the Annual Meeting online at HerefordPhotoshop.com. The forum featured presentations on genomics, EPDs and reproduction by Dorian Garrick, Matt Spangler and Bill Beal.
Photos from Reno, the Annual Meeting and the American Royal National Hereford Show are also available at HerefordPhotoshop.com.
Advertise on Hereford.org
In one month, visitors to Hereford.org viewed 30 banner ads 94,961 times and clicked on them 870 times. Hereford.org is the perfect place for breeders to advertise their operations or businesses to offer services or products. Banner ads serve as direct links to the breeders’ or business’ Website or online sale catalog.
To read how other Hereford breeders are utilizing the banner ads as a marketing tool read “Most Bang For your Banner” in the July 2010 Hereford World.
For more information about banner advertising options including bundling with Hereford World advertising and Creative Service packages, contact your AHA field staff member or Caryn Vaught at 816-218-2282.
Use “Z” for 2012
“Z” is the tattoo letter code for 2012.
Deadline Extended — Producers Reminded to Participate in Cattle Survey
Please help us assure that we continue to get widespread response from cattle producers across the U.S. to provide a strong production sector voice in the results and strategy of the checkoff-funded National Beef Quality Audit (NBQA). To assure full opportunity for producers to participate the survey will remain open until Feb. 6, 2012. The survey can be taken online at CattleSurvey.com and requires less than 10 minutes to complete.
The checkoff needs producer input for the following reasons:
- The results of the survey will help drive the recommendation from the National Beef Quality Audit and assure that the strategies are developed based on a strong grassroots message.
- Results of the NBQA will be used to enhance the beef industry’s message to supply chain partners, opinion influencers, and consumers. The survey provides an avenue for U.S. cattle producers to tell their collective story about on-ranch commitment to quality. NBQA results will be used to demonstrate value to international customers.
- Historically, the NBQA has yielded significant value to our industry by driving continuous improvement initiatives, providing strategic focus, and demonstrating opportunities for increased demand and profitability.
Request for Blood Samples
Jack Ward, AHA director of breed improvement, requests that breeders collect blood samples on any cattle with issues such as cancer eye or prolapse. Contact Jack at 816-842-3757 or Jon Beever for more information.
"Like" CHB and Buy Hereford on Facebook
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) and Buy Hereford are new pages on Facebook promoting Hereford beef and Hereford genetics.
Like the CHB Facebook page to keep up-to-date on happenings with the CHB program. The Buy Hereford Facebook page will highlight upcoming BuyHereford.com sales, as well as Hereford production sales, Hereford events and other Hereford deadlines and announcements.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Feb. 15, 2012 - Northern Plains Hereford Influence Sale, Kist Livestock, Mandan, N.D., contact Steven Pollestad at 701-974-3970 or the sale barn at 800-732-1163.
- April 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- May 8, 2012 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Blue Grass Stockyards South, Stanford, Ky., contact Lowell Atwood, 606-669-1455 or John Meents, 419-306-7480
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669