CHB Promoted on TV
Certified Hereford Beef (CHB®) vendor The Butcher Block, Quincy, Ill., was recently featured on the local TV program — “KHQA This Morning.” During this pre-Memorial Day segment, Dan Viehl, owner, promotes CHB; demonstrates how to prepare St. Louis Ribs and select steaks; and discusses various methods of steak preparation and grilling. View this segment on YouTube.
Support Youth, Become a Member of Hereford Foundation Club
Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) supporters will have the best seats in the house at the 2012 Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) in Grand Island, Neb.
Hereford enthusiasts can join the Hereford Foundation Club and have access to the “club” that overlooks the showring in Grand Island as well as earn other perks for their support of Hereford youth.
There are four levels of membership but benefits include a special membership pin, access to the VIP parking area, and admittance to the club area, which overlooks the showring.
For the highest levels of membership, unlimited guests are also allowed in the club area where beverages, snacks, and hors d'oeuvres will be served all day July 5-8 (show days). Members will also be featured on promotional materials and signs as well as acknowledged in the post-publicity of the event. Of course, all membership fees will be considered a tax-deductible 501(c)(3) donation to HYFA.
Visit HerefordYouthFoundation.org to join today or contact Amy Cowan, HYFA director at 816-842-3757 for more information or to become a member.
Sign up to Participate in, Sponsor HYFA Golf Tournament
HYFA will host its third annual golf tournament with all proceeds to benefit the foundation. Hosted in conjunction with the JNHE, the event will kickoff at 8:30 a.m. July 3 at the Indian Head Golf Course, Grand Island, Neb.
The tournament will be a four-man scramble with shotgun start.
Player entry fees will be $240 a team (four-man) or $60 for a single, who will be placed on a random team. Hole sponsorships are available for $450 and include a team. Hole sponsorships are $300. All prices include green fees, cart and lunch.
To register for this event or to sponsor a hole, visit HerefordJuniorNational.com. For more information or to sponsor this event, contact Amy Cowan at 816-842-3757.
Don't Miss These Upcoming June 15 Junior Deadlines
- Great American CHB Grill-off recipes and entries due
- State voting delegates due
- Walter and Joe Lewis Memorial Award applications due
- National Illustrated Speech Contest applications due
- Peewee Speech Contest applications due
- Extemporaneous Speaking Contest entries due
- Promotional Poster Contest entries due (if unable to
attend the JNHE)
- National Scrapbook Contest entries due (if unable to
attend the JNHE)
AHA Announces Transition to New DNA Lab
The American Hereford Association (AHA) is beginning the transition of DNA technology and labs for parentage, diagnostics and marker-assisted EPDs (expected progeny differences).
The Association will be switching from Maxxam Analytics to GeneSeek located in Lincoln, Neb. Because of the change, the AHA will not send DNA kits to members starting on June 4 and will resume releasing kits on June 25.
During this time, DNA stored at Maxxam will be getting shipped to the new lab. In addition, the final steps will be made to make this transition as seamless as possible. We appreciate your patience as we make this transition into a very exciting time for Hereford members. If it is imperative that you have some testing done during this time, please contact the AHA customer service department at 816-842-3757.
Registration Open for 2012 Cattle Industry Summer Conference
Cattlemen and women need to register today to attend the NCBA's 2012 Cattle Industry Summer Conference to secure a spot at what will be an action-packed conference. The conference, which will be July 25-28, in Denver, will give cattle farmers and ranchers an opportunity to engage in NCBA's grassroots policy process while also networking with and learning from other cattlemen and women from across the country.
Hereford Journals Available
If you are interested in a collection of old Hereford Journals, starting in the 1950s, contact:
9311 18th St. SE
Wimbledon, ND 58492
Seeking Board Candidates
The AHA nominating committee's responsibility is to identify six candidates to run for the three Board positions that are selected during the AHA Annual Membership Meeting in November.
To make a Director recommendation, contact one of the following committee members:
- Terri Barber, chairman, Austin, Texas, 817-727-6107
- David Burns, Pikeville, Tenn., 423-447-2134
- Steve Douthit, St. Francis, Kan., 817-727-6107
- Bob Harrell, Baker City, Ore., 541-523-4401
- Joe Van Newkirk, Oshkosh, Neb., 308-772-3081
View Educational Hereford Videos on YouTube
American Hereford Association (AHA) has released five educational videos. These are the first in a series of educational videos that will be posted to the Hereford YouTube channel and are available at Hereford.org.
- Whole Herd TPR: features Jack Ward explaining the Whole Herd TPR process.
- How to Register: features Stacy Sanders explaining the registration process.
- How to Transfer: features Stacy Sanders explaining how to transfer ownership.
- EPD Basics: features Dorian Garrick explaining the basics of expected progeny differences.
- Hereford EPDs: describes the Hereford suite of EPDs and indexes.
Association Requests CVV Code
The AHA is now requiring the CVV (security) code on all credit card transactions. In an effort to provide additional security and reduce expense, this new credit card requirement is effective immediately.
If you currently have a credit card on file with the Association, please contact the Records Department or Hereford World at 816-842–3757 with this information to expedite processing.
Please note: as work is processed you may be contacted by the AHA staff for this information, if not already provided.
Check Out CHB on Pinterest
You can now find Certified Hereford Beef on Pinterest! Visit the Pinterest website for pins of recipes, beef and the farming and ranching life. Follow Certified Hereford Beef, and let’s have fun pinning together!
And, if you’re not already a fan of Certified Hereford Beef on Facebook, “like” the page today at CHB Facebook page.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- Nov. 14, 2012 - Montana Hereford Assn. Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock, Three Forks, contact: Montana Hereford Association Board of Directors
- Jan. 3, 2013 - Greater Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf, Carthage, Ill., contact: John Meents 419-306-7480 or Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621