DNA Testing Update
The American Hereford Association (AHA) is transitioning all DNA testing to GeneSeek Inc., Lincoln, Neb. Because of the change, the AHA was not sending DNA kits from June 4 to 25. Starting Monday, test kits can be requested and testing will begin at GeneSeek.
The new testing fees and options:
- AHA basic panel: The panel tests for parentage, tenderness (calpain) and genetic abnormalities — hypotrichosis (HY) and idiopathic epilepsy (IE) and dilutor — $30 per sample/$20 bulk rate of 50 or more.
- GE-EPD panel: Results will be blended with EPDs — $85 per sample.
- GE-EPD panel plus basic — $100 per sample.
- Horned/polled test (stand-alone test): This test identifies homozygous or heterozygous polled genotypes. It does not identify the scur genes — $48 per sample.
- Legacy animal retest: this test is for animals that have previously been tested utilizing microssatellite technology and now need to be retested using SNP — $15 per sample.
More details on DNA testing and the new lab can be found at Hereford.org.
Catch up on NHW News
The summer 2012 issue of the National Hereford Women's newsletter is now online on the NHW website. It also has been sent by mail and e-mail to NHW members.
- Creative Arts will be held from 9-11 a.m. July 3 and 4, location TBA.
- Barber Ranch, Channing, Texas, has donated a $1,500 credit toward the purchase of a heifer from their ranch for the NHW Heifer Award. Juniors sign up before JNHE opening ceremonies and one name is drawn. An added bonus from NHW - bring that heifer to the 2013 JNHE and receive $500!
- The National Hereford Queen, Amanda Bacon, is hosting a Queen's Tea at 1 p.m. Tuesday, July 3. She is also conducting a community service project to get everyone involved in at the JNHE. Collect travel size toiletries for the needy in Grand Island.
- NHW will have a merchandise booth at JNHE, including the two Amanda Raithel prints.
- The summer general membership meeting of the NHW will also be at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday July 3, preceding the Queen's Tea.
- To start the JNHE off in fast fashion are the seven scholarship award interviews on Sunday afternoon, July 1.
- Other NHW-sponsored JNHE events are: Great American CHB Grill-Off competition; and illustrated and extemporaneous speech contests. NHW will also hold its summer meeting of the board of directors.
The NHW Board of Directors' e-mail is email@example.com
CHB Introduces New Ambassadors
In May, Certified Hereford Beef (CHB) LLC welcomed two new CHB Ambassadors to the program: Kim Coley, Sewanee, Tenn., and Nicole Morrison, Mount Gilead, Ohio.
These women will help promote the CHB product across the country in various ways, including attending store openings and promotional festivities, and educating consumers about the benefits and quality of CHB.
Coley has a strong agricultural background and has participated in an agricultural Extension program about educating the consumer and government officials about the beef industry. In addition, her family has shown cattle across the country, and her husband, Tommy, is an American Hereford Association (AHA) field representative for the Southeast region.
Morrison is the food service director for the Northmor Local School District in Galion, Ohio. In addition to running a catering business, she and her husband, Tom, also raise Hereford cattle.
Don't Miss Opportunity to Advertise Online
July is the No. 1 month for total visits to Hereford.org. If you have an upcoming production sale, private treaty offerings or just want to increase awareness of your farm or ranch, now is the time to purchase a banner ad on Hereford.org.
Last July, banner ads had 97,398 views. One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNews.
For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Register for PRIDE Convention Online
Hereford youth can register for the 2012 Program for Reaching Individuals Determined to Excel (PRIDE) Convetion online at JrHereford.org. The event will be July 29 to Aug. 2 in E. Lansing, Mich. Registration fees prior to June 20 is $275. Between June 26 and July 1 the fee is $300.
Support Youth, Become a Member of Hereford Foundation Club
Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) supporters will have the best seats in the house at the 2012 Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) in Grand Island, Neb.
Hereford enthusiasts can join the Hereford Foundation Club and have access to the “club” that overlooks the showring in Grand Island as well as earn other perks for their support of Hereford youth.
There are four levels of membership but benefits include a special membership pin, access to the VIP parking area, and admittance to the club area, which overlooks the showring.
For the highest levels of membership, unlimited guests are also allowed in the club area where beverages, snacks, and hors d'oeuvres will be served all day July 5-8 (show days). Members will also be featured on promotional materials and signs as well as acknowledged in the post-publicity of the event. Of course, all membership fees will be considered a tax-deductible 501(c)(3) donation to HYFA.
Visit HerefordYouthFoundation.org to join today or contact Amy Cowan, HYFA director at 816-842-3757 for more information or to become a member.
Sign up to Participate in, Sponsor HYFA Golf Tournament
HYFA will host its third annual golf tournament with all proceeds to benefit the foundation. Hosted in conjunction with the JNHE, the event will kickoff at 8:30 a.m. July 3 at the Indian Head Golf Course, Grand Island, Neb.
The tournament will be a four-man scramble with shotgun start.
Player entry fees will be $240 a team (four-man) or $60 for a single, who will be placed on a random team. Hole sponsorships are available for $450 and include a team. Hole sponsorships are $300. All prices include green fees, cart and lunch.
To register for this event or to sponsor a hole, visit HerefordJuniorNational.com. For more information or to sponsor this event, contact Amy Cowan at 816-842-3757.
Seeking Board Candidates
The AHA nominating committee's responsibility is to identify six candidates to run for the three Board positions that are selected during the AHA Annual Membership Meeting in November.
To make a Director recommendation, contact one of the following committee members:
- Terri Barber, chairman, Austin, Texas, 817-727-6107
- David Burns, Pikeville, Tenn., 423-447-2134
- Steve Douthit, St. Francis, Kan., 817-727-6107
- Bob Harrell, Baker City, Ore., 541-523-4401
- Joe Van Newkirk, Oshkosh, Neb., 308-772-3081
View Educational Hereford Videos on YouTube
American Hereford Association (AHA) has released five educational videos. These are the first in a series of educational videos that will be posted to the Hereford YouTube channel and are available at Hereford.org.
- Whole Herd TPR: features Jack Ward explaining the Whole Herd TPR process.
- How to Register: features Stacy Sanders explaining the registration process.
- How to Transfer: features Stacy Sanders explaining how to transfer ownership.
- EPD Basics: features Dorian Garrick explaining the basics of expected progeny differences.
- Hereford EPDs: describes the Hereford suite of EPDs and indexes.
Association Requests CVV Code
The AHA is now requiring the CVV (security) code on all credit card transactions. In an effort to provide additional security and reduce expense, this new credit card requirement is effective immediately.
If you currently have a credit card on file with the Association, please contact the Records Department or Hereford World at 816-842–3757 with this information to expedite processing.
Please note: as work is processed you may be contacted by the AHA staff for this information, if not already provided.
Check Out CHB on Pinterest
You can now find Certified Hereford Beef on Pinterest! Visit the Pinterest website for pins of recipes, beef and the farming and ranching life. Follow Certified Hereford Beef, and let’s have fun pinning together!
And, if you’re not already a fan of Certified Hereford Beef on Facebook, “like” the page today at CHB Facebook page.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- Oct. 23, 2012 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, contact John Meents, 419-306-7480
- Nov. 14, 2012 - Montana Hereford Assn. Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock, Three Forks, contact: Montana Hereford Association Board of Directors
- Jan. 3, 2013 - Greater Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf, Carthage, Ill., contact: John Meents 419-306-7480 or Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621