Hereford Youth in Grand Island for 2012 JNHE
Hereford enthusiasts are in Grand Island, Neb., this week for the 2012 Junior National Hereford Expo. Yesterday was the showmanship competition. Today bulls, cow-calf pairs, bred-and-owned females and steers will hit the ring. The show will conclude on Sunday following the selection of the chamion owned female.
View placings with photos
Watch JNHE at LiveAuctions.tv
DNA Testing Update
Since June 26, American Hereford Association (AHA) has transitioned all DNA testing to GeneSeek Inc., Lincoln, Neb.
The new testing fees and options:
- AHA basic panel: The panel tests for parentage, tenderness (calpain) and genetic abnormalities — hypotrichosis (HY) and idiopathic epilepsy (IE) and dilutor — $30 per sample/$20 bulk rate of 50 or more.
- GE-EPD panel: Results will be blended with EPDs — $85 per sample.
- GE-EPD panel plus basic — $100 per sample.
- Horned/polled test (stand-alone test): This test identifies homozygous or heterozygous polled genotypes. It does not identify the scur genes — $48 per sample.
- Legacy animal retest: this test is for animals that have previously been tested utilizing microssatellite technology and now need to be retested using SNP — $15 per sample.
More details on DNA testing and the new lab can be found at Hereford.org (PDF).
Catch up on NHW News, Nominate New Directors
The summer 2012 issue of the National Hereford Women's newsletter is now online on the NHW website. It also has been sent by mail and e-mail to NHW members.
The NHW Board of directors' e-mail is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations for the four quadrant areas of the National Hereford Women board of directors are open until August 15. Nominations must be received via postal mail or e-mail by August 15 to:
Committee chairman Shellie Collins
23334 CR EW 180
Chattanooga, OK 73528
Nominating committee members:
Nominees must be current NHW members with their 2012 dues paid by July 15, 2012.
Dutch Hereford Cattlemen Passes
Joop Meijer, initiator and first president of the Dutch Hereford Society, passed away June 25 due to unexpected complications during treatment for cancer. He was 68 years old and he was diagnosed with cancer only three months prior to his death.
Don't Miss Opportunity to Advertise Online
July is the No. 1 month for total visits to Hereford.org. If you have an upcoming production sale, private treaty offerings or just want to increase awareness of your farm or ranch, now is the time to purchase a banner ad on Hereford.org.
Last July, banner ads had 97,398 views. One-month, six-month and yearly contracts are available. A one-month contract is $500, 6-month is $800 and 12-month is $1,500. With the 6-month and 12-month contract you also receive appearances in AHA's eNews.
For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Register for PRIDE Convention Online
Hereford youth can register for the 2012 Program for Reaching Individuals Determined to Excel (PRIDE) Convetion online at JrHereford.org. The event will be July 29 to Aug. 2 in E. Lansing, Mich. Registration fees prior to June 20 is $275. Between June 26 and July 1 the fee is $300.
Seeking Board Candidates
The AHA nominating committee's responsibility is to identify six candidates to run for the three Board positions that are selected during the AHA Annual Membership Meeting in November.
To make a Director recommendation, contact one of the following committee members:
- Terri Barber, chairman, Austin, Texas, 817-727-6107
- David Burns, Pikeville, Tenn., 423-447-2134
- Steve Douthit, St. Francis, Kan., 785-332-2323
- Bob Harrell, Baker City, Ore., 541-523-4401
- Joe Van Newkirk, Oshkosh, Neb., 308-772-3081
View Educational Hereford Videos on YouTube
American Hereford Association (AHA) has released five educational videos. These are the first in a series of educational videos that will be posted to the Hereford YouTube channel and are available at Hereford.org.
- Whole Herd TPR: features Jack Ward explaining the Whole Herd TPR process.
- How to Register: features Stacy Sanders explaining the registration process.
- How to Transfer: features Stacy Sanders explaining how to transfer ownership.
- EPD Basics: features Dorian Garrick explaining the basics of expected progeny differences.
- Hereford EPDs: describes the Hereford suite of EPDs and indexes.
Association Requests CVV Code
The AHA is now requiring the CVV (security) code on all credit card transactions. In an effort to provide additional security and reduce expense, this new credit card requirement is effective immediately.
If you currently have a credit card on file with the Association, please contact the Records Department or Hereford World at 816-842–3757 with this information to expedite processing.
Please note: as work is processed you may be contacted by the AHA staff for this information, if not already provided.
Check Out CHB on Pinterest
You can now find Certified Hereford Beef on Pinterest! Visit the Pinterest website for pins of recipes, beef and the farming and ranching life. Follow Certified Hereford Beef, and let’s have fun pinning together!
And, if you’re not already a fan of Certified Hereford Beef on Facebook, “like” the page today at CHB Facebook page.
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- July 9, 2012 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact: Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669
- Oct. 23, 2012 - Kentucky Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, contact John Meents, 419-306-7480
- Nov. 14, 2012 - Montana Hereford Assn. Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, Headwaters Livestock, Three Forks, contact: Montana Hereford Association Board of Directors
- Jan. 3, 2013 - Greater Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf, Carthage, Ill., contact: John Meents 419-306-7480 or Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621