Support Hereford Youth and Order Your Historic Hereford Prints and Hereford Christmas Cards Today
If you’re planning to send Christmas greetings this year, consider Hereford-themed Christmas cards available through online ordering. Information about the cards are available at Hereford.org/ChristmasCards.
Christmas card orders will be accepted and shipped through Boelte-Hall through mid December, subject to availability. A portion of the card sales will benefit the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA).
Show your support of Hereford youth and get a piece of history when you purchase a set of beautiful prints being offered by HYFA. The original Anxiety 4 and Silver oil-on-canvas paintings currently grace the walls of the AHA and, in an effort to preserve the authentic artwork, limited-edition canvas prints were made and sold at “The Harvest” event.
The Giclee prints generated close to $25,000, and now HYFA is offering 11x 14 prints of the historic bull and female. The prints can be purchased as a set or individually today at HerefordYouthFoundation.org. The set is $50, or each individual print is $30.
HYFA Offerings Headline Mile High Night Sale
Tennessee River Music Inc. (TRM), Ft. Payne, Ala., has generously donated this year’s Mile High Night Sale Lot 1 Foundation Female, supporting the Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA). Proceeds from this sale will provide education, scholarship and leadership opportunities for today and tomorrow’s Hereford youth.
The Lot 1 female, TRM 6104 Lulu 2044 ET, is a March 12, 2012, daughter of CS Boomer 29F. This tremendous power cow family has been generations in the making at TRM.
The HYFA offering in the Mile High Night Sale does not end with Lot 1. Bushy Park Farms, Mitchell, S.D., and Tucker Cattle Co., North Platte, Neb., have also donated two embryo packages from two of the most powerful and exciting donor dams in the Hereford breed. Bushy Park Farms and Tucker Cattle Co. are really backing up their commitment to Hereford youth by including one guaranteed pregnancy on each mating.
Lot 38A is a package of three embryos from the proven cross of one of the best cows in the country, LCC Two Timin 438 ET “Harley,” and one of the top sires, NJW FHF 9710 Tank 45P. Lot 38B is a package of two embryos from 2012 National Champion TCC Ms Diana 01 and NJW 73S W18 Hometown 10Y ET.
T-Bone Ranch Co., Antonito, Colo., is donating from the heart of their donor program four embryos out of two-time Denver Supreme Champion STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET and DBLL DCC 4002 Patti 4266 ET.
For more details on these lots vist HerefordYouthFoundation.org.
Great Christmas Idea — Buy One/Get One Half Off
For the non-shoppers and the “I don't know what to get” dilemma – at the touch of e-mail or a phone call you can have a beautiful Amanda Raithel print shipped to your address in days and in time for Christmas. Pick from the National Hereford Women's “Setting Precedence” and “Secrets” prints.
Mix or match (unframed). Buy one, get one half off the price, plus shipping. $90 for one, $135 for two plus S&H. View prints on the National Hereford Women website.
Contact: Denise Billman, 303-204-5865,firstname.lastname@example.org; or Paula Acheson, 785-257-3541, email@example.com.
Denver Hereford Headquarters Hotel Booked;
Contact AHA to cancel rooms or to be placed on waiting list
Hereford enthusiasts will be in Denver Jan. 16-19 for the National Western Stock Show.
Hereford events in Denver will kick off in the Stadium Arena on the Hill with the bull show on Thursday, Jan. 17 at 8 a.m. followed by the junior heifer show. Friday will be the pen and carload show in the Yards starting at 8 a.m.
The Mile High Night National Hereford Sale is changing venues this year. The sale will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday in the Stadium Arena on the Hill.
Judging the National Hereford Show on the Hill will be Hampton Cornelius, La Salle, Colo. Pen show judges are Blake Oschner, Torrington, Wyo.; Brooke Bieber, Onida, S.D.; and Bill Goehring, Libertyville, Iowa.
We received notice that the block at the Renaissance Denver Hotel is full. If you'd like to get on a waiting list please contact Karla Richardson at 816-842-3757. Or if you have made hotel reservations at the headquarters hotel and you wish to cancel rooms, please contact Karla. This will allow AHA to keep the rooms in our block so other Hereford breeders can use the rooms at our group rate.
Renaissance Denver Hotel
3801 Quebec St., Denver, CO 80207
Ask for “American Hereford Association” block. A one-night, non-refundable deposit is required at reservation time. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Denver International Airport.
Join Hereford Enthusiasts in the Suite
National Western Stock Show (NWSS) attendees will again have a chance to meet with other Hereford producers in the Hereford hospitality suite in the Yards. Sponsored by Hereford breeders, the suite will again be on the first floor of the Exchange Building. It will be a great place for breeders to discuss business transactions or just visit with old friends.
The suite will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, through Friday, Jan. 18.
A big thank you goes to the breeders who help sponsor this gathering place. For information about the suite or to inquire about sponsorship, contact Amy Cowan at or 816-842-3757.
Reno Showcases Hereford Champions
The Western Nugget National Hereford Show was Dec. 7-8 in Reno, Nev. Lee Haygood, Canadian, Texas, judged the 195-head show, and the winners were:
- Champion horned bull: Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho, Pablo Martin Y Herrera, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Ned and Jan Ward, Sheridan, Wyo., with C Stockman 2059 ET by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Reserve champion horned bull: Largent & Sons, Kaycee, Wyo., with Desert Comfort 037 by L3 Desert Fox 842 ET.
- Champion polled bull: Rees Bros. Herefords, Morgan, Utah, and Weimer Cattle Company, Susanville, Calif., with TCW Role Model 28M 208Y by Golden-Oak 4J Maxium 28M.
- Reserve champion polled bull: Split Butte Livestock, Minidoka, Idaho, and Stallings Polled Herefords, Eugene, Ore., with SB 54E 75R Fusion 138X ET by Lambert Remedy 2030 75R.
- Champion horned female: Kelsey Stimpson, Melba, Idaho, with Triple-A 9121 Rebecca 5Y by CL 1 Domino 9121W 1ET.
- Reserve champion horned female: Gary & Kathy Buchholz, Waxahachie, Texas, withw C 88X Notice Me 2067 ET by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Champion polled female and junior show champion bred and owned: Kari Brumley, Orovada, Nev., with BF 144U Sweet Thing 2103 ET by TH 75J 243R Bailout 144U ET.
- Reserve champion polled female: Piper and Cruz Colyer, Bruneau, Idaho, with C Eye Candy 2079 by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Premier horned breeder, exhibitor and premier polled breeder: Colyer Herefords
- Best get-of-sire: Colyer Herefords with a group sired by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Premier polled exhibitor and best six head: Weimer Cattle Co.
- Junior show reserve champion bred-and-owned and reserve champion owned female: Rylee Barber, Channing, Texas, with BR Bailee 1066 ET by DM BR Sooner
- Junior show champion owned heifer: Tristen Carnley, Clifton, Texas, with C 11X 8238 Notice Me 2102 by TH 71U 719T Mr Hereford 11X.
- Junior show champion bull: Brooke and Kari Brumley, Orovada, Nev., with BF Perfect Poison 174Y by BF Domino Affect 702T ET.
- Junior show reserve champion bull: Cody Simpson, Bend, Ore., with SCC Cash Advance 3102 by Purple Currency 24U ET.
To view complete results of the 2012 Western Nugget National Hereford Show visit Hereford.org.
Plan to Attend NCBA Convention
Make plans to attend the 2013 Cattle Industry Convention and NCBA (National Cattlemen’s Beef Association) Trade Show in Tampa, Fla., Feb. 5-6. Now in its 20th year, the NCBA’s Cattlemen’s College® has established a reputation as one of the most thorough cattle producer education programs in the nation. Sponsored by Pfizer Animal Health, the 2013 edition of Cattlemen’s College® offers a wide range of informative, one of a kind hands-on educational workshops designed for cattle operations of every size and sector.
The registration deadline for cattlemen’s college and the convention is Jan. 11. For more information on cattlemen’s college, and to register, go to NCBA’s website.
EID Tags Not Needed for National Shows
This is just a reminder that Hereford breeders exhibiting in national Hereford shows (including the National Western Stock Show) and the Junior National Hereford Expo do not need to be tagged with electronic identification (EID) tags.
New Texas ID Begins Jan. 1
Beginning Jan. 1, 2013, by virtue of a Texas Animal Health Commission ruling, all adult cattle in Texas must have an approved form of permanent identification in place at any change of ownership. This includes sexually intact beef cattle 18 months older and above, and Mexican-origin event cattle. Not included are nursing calves, steers, spayed heifers, bulls, heifers under 18 months (unless they are about to calve), and cattle moved directly to slaughter.
It’s important to remember that tattoo information supplied to AHA for registration purposes will not satisfy this ID requirement. This is because AHA’s tattoos aren’t considered unique outside of the breed because there is no prescribed prefix policy for AHA.
For more on this new rule, check out the Texas Animal Health Commission’s press release (PDF) or the Texas A&M University Department of Animal Science website.
High Accuracy Bulls Sought, Cost-Share Option Available
During the American Hereford Association (AHA) Board meeting the Board discussed its continued commitment to DNA testing more high accuracy sires. Hereford breeders who have a bull that does not have a genomic-enhanced expected progeny difference (GE-EPD), has a weaning weight accuracy of better than .50 and was born in 2001 or after, can contact Toni Shapiro at the AHA office, and the AHA will pay $40 of the fees to have the bull DNA tested.
A list of high-use Hereford sires that the Association would like tested has been generated. To see if a bull you own is on that list, contact Jack Ward, AHA chief operating officer and director of breed improvement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 816-842-3757.
For more about Hereford DNA testing visit the Hereford YouTube channel or Hereford.org (PDF).
Watch Hereford Educational Videos on YouTube
American Hereford Association (AHA) has released two more educational videos. The seven videos are available on the Hereford YouTube channel and at Hereford.org. The newest editions include information about BuyHereford.com and about the Certified Hereford Beef Program. If you haven’t already, check them out today!
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Jan. 3, 2013 - Greater Midwest Hereford Influenced Feeder Calf, Carthage, Ill., contact: John Meents 419-306-7480 or Brent Lowderman 309-221-9621
- Jan. 7, 2013 - Missouri Hereford Association Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sales, Miller Co. Regional Stockyards, Eldon, Mo., contact Matt Reynolds 660-676-3788 or Marty Lueck 417-948-2669