Herefords In Denver
Herefords ascended on Denver Jan. 17-19 for the National Hereford Show on the Hill as well as Carload and Pen Shows in the Yards at the National Western Stock Show.
Congratulations to these winners:
- Supreme Hereford and champion horned bull: Richard and Shirley Thomas, Gold Creek, Mont., with RST Time’s A Wastin’ 012 by CRR About Time 743.
- Champion polled bull: Ned and Jan Ward, Sheridan, Wyo., and Perks Ranch, Rockford, Ill., with NJW 73S W18 Hometown 10Y ET by SHF Wonder M326 W18 ET.
- Champion horned female: Kyle and Tonya Perez, Nara Visa, N.M., with KJ DWE Sheila 457Y by THR Thor 4029.
- Champion polled female: Piper and Cruz Colyer, Bruneau, Idaho, with C Eye Candy 2079 by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Reserve champion horned bull: Upstream Ranch, Taylor, Neb.; Hirsche Herefords & Angus Ltd., Okotoks, Alberta, and WSV Farm & Ranch LLC with UPS Uptown ET by CRR About Time 743.
- Reserve champion polled bull: Jarrett Worrell, Mason, Texas; Rylee Owen, Mason, Texas, and Miller Cattle Co., Douglas, Wyo., with WORR Owen Tankeray Y79D ET.
- Reserve champion horned female: Kaylie Shelton, Laytonville, Md., with Purple Adele 50Z by Purple MB Womanizer 14U ET.
- Reserve champion polled female: Edy Brainard, Canadian, Texas, with KLD RW Lady Rolex D19 by CRR About Time 743.
- Premier horned exhibitor: Gary & Kathy Buchholz, Waxahachie, Texas
- Premier horned breeder: Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho
- First-place get-of-sire: Colyers with a group sired by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Premier polled exhibitor and premier polled breeder: Hoffman Herefords, Thedford, Neb.
- Junior show champion polled female: Blake and Mitchell Tucker, North Platte, Neb., with RCS TCC Ms Harley Henrieta Z10 by NJW FHF 9710 Tank 45P.
- Junior show champion horned female: Blake and Mitchell Tucker with JWG Miss Serendipity 1114 by STAR TCF Shock & Awe 158W ET.
- Junior show reserve champion female: Sydney Wisnefski, Wyoming, Ill., with Purple SM Wonder Woman 160Y by Purple MB Womanizer 14U ET.
- Junior show reserve champion horned female: Bailey Buck, Madill, Okla., with HAPP Kool Aid Points 1218 ET by DeLHawk Kahuna 1009 ET.
- Champion carload: Hoffman Herefords with a group sired by AH JDH Cracker Jack 26U ET, CL 1 Domino 955W, CRR About Time 743, Golden Oak Outcross 18U, H Payback 807 ET and AH JDH Cracker Jack 26U ET.
- Reserve champion carload: Delaney Herefords Inc., Lake Benton, Minn., with a group sired by BAR JZ Rumble 525X, AH JDH Cracker Jack 26U ET, THM Durango 4037, TH 122 71I Victor 719T and JDH 10S Yankee 39X.
- Champion bull pen: Colyer Herefords with calves sired by TH 89T 743 Untapped 425X ET and NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Reserve champion bull pen: Jensen Bros., Courtland, Kan., with a group sired by TH SHR 605 57G Bismarck 243R and THR Thor 4029.
- Champion female pen: Coyote Ridge Ranch with heifers sired by CRR Helton 980 and TH 122 71I Victor 719T.
- Reserve champion female pen: Mrnak Herefords, Bowman, N.D., with heifers sired by HH Advance 8203U ET, Remitall Online 122L and MH Monument 3147.
- Herdsman of the Year: Jay Creamer, Waxahachie, Texas.
- Hereford Innovators: Mike and Judy Stahly, Cavour, S.D., and Brent and Kris Lowderman, Carthage, Ill.
- Watch for more about Creamer, Stahlys and Lowdermans in next week's eNews.
Mile High Night Sale Raises More Than $60,000 for Hereford Youth
With the sales of the Foundation Female and three embryo packages, more than $61,000 was raised to benefit Hereford youth and the Hereford Youth Foundation of America Friday, Jan. 18, during the Mile High Night Hereford Sale in Denver during the National Western Stock Show.
Starting the sale was the Foundation Female donated by Tennessee River Music Inc., Ft. Payne, Ala. She was purchased by the Dave McMahon family of Belle Point Ranch, Ft. Smith, Ark., for $30,000.
Lot 38A and 38B generated another $28,000 for an embryo package donated by Bushy Park Farms, Mitchell, S.D., and Tucker Cattle Co., North Platte, Neb. Sullivan Farms, Dunlap, Iowa, helped support the Foundation and added some excellent genetics to its herd with this purchase.
T-Bone Ranch, Antonito, Colo., donated another embryo package which sold for $2,400 to Tejkl Show Cattle, Stanton, Neb.
That brought the total for the night to $60,400 to benefit the Hereford Youth Foundation of America.
Watch for more Denver highlights in next week’s Hereford eNews and the March Hereford World.
Marx Hired as HPI Advertising Coordinator
Alison Marx, Smithville, Mo., has been selected as the new Hereford Publications Inc. advertising coordinator. Marx graduated in 2006 from Northwest Missouri State University with a bachelor’s of science degree in ag business and animal science. She has been gaining valuable experience in customer service and account management since.
She will start work in the AHA headquarters in Kansas City, Mo., Jan. 28.
Gold TPR Correction
Regrettably, Lester Schafer, Buffalo Lake, Minn., was not listed as a Spring 2013 Gold TPR Breeder in the recent eNews. We apologize for the error.
Be Part of the 2013 AI Book: Ad Deadline is Today
Don't miss your chance to be part of the 2013 AI Book that is sent out with the March Hereford World. Deadline for ad materials is Jan. 25. Please remember, ads in this book are placed according to when ALL ad materials are received in the AHA office. Please contact Caryn Vaught, 816-218-2282 for more information.
Junior AI Deadline Extended to Feb. 1
Tis the season for the National Junior Hereford Association's (NJHA) Junior AI Program. In an effort to secure more bulls for the program, we are extending the deadline to Feb. 1. Visit JrHereford.org for the sire listing and 2013 program nomination forms.
New Hereford Print to Be Unveiled at Ft. Worth
Add to your rare collection of Hereford artwork with the third piece of colored pencil artwork by nationally recognized show cattle artist, Amanda Raithel. It will be unveiled at the Southwestern Livestock Exposition at Ft. Worth, Texas, with the original piece being auctioned off in the Cowtown Select Sale on Feb. 3.
The 11x14 artwork is a one-of-a-kind piece that depicts both horned and polled Hereford bulls. Prints will be available in Ft. Worth. The newest artwork piece may be previewed on the National Hereford Women (NHW) Facebook page as well as the NHW website.
Prints may be ordered in advance by contacting Denise Billman at 330-204-5865. All proceeds from the sale of the original as well as the prints ensure the continuation of all the programs and scholarships that are administered by NHW.. Your continued support is pertinent to the continuing education and enrichment of Hereford youth.
This piece will accompany the first two prints, “Setting Precedence” and “Secrets” very nicely.
High Accuracy Bulls Sought, Cost-Share Option Available
During the American Hereford Association (AHA) Board meeting the Board discussed its continued commitment to DNA testing more high accuracy sires. Hereford breeders who have a bull that does not have a genomic-enhanced expected progeny difference (GE-EPD), has a weaning weight accuracy of better than .50 and was born in 2001 or after, can contact Toni Shapiro at the AHA office, and the AHA will pay $40 of the fees to have the bull DNA tested.
A list of high-use Hereford sires that the Association would like tested has been generated. To see if a bull you own is on that list, contact Jack Ward, AHA chief operating officer and director of breed improvement, at email@example.com or at 816-842-3757.
For more about Hereford DNA testing visit the Hereford YouTube channel or Hereford.org (PDF).
Watch Hereford Educational Videos on YouTube
American Hereford Association (AHA) has released two more educational videos. The seven videos are available on the Hereford YouTube channel and at Hereford.org. The newest editions include information about BuyHereford.com and about the Certified Hereford Beef Program. If you haven’t already, check them out today!
Consign Now to Hereford Feeder Calf Sales
Looking to market Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calves this fall or winter? Consign now to one of the following special Hereford and Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales.
- Feb. 20, 2013 - Northern Plains Hereford-Influenced Feeder Calf Sale, at Kist Livestock, Mandan, N.D., contact Steven Pollestad, 701-974-3970 or Kist Livestock, 701-663-9573.