Reno Showcases Hereford Champions:
Holt 138X Sadie 226Z Wins Triple Crown
Tyler Cates, Modoc, Ind., judged the 192-head Western Nugget National Hereford Show in Reno, Nev., Dec. 6-7. The winners were:
- Champion polled female: Emilee and Bennett Holt, Caldwell, Idaho, with Holt 138X Sadie 226Z, by SB 54E 75R Fusion 138X ET.
- Reserve champion polled female: Gary and Kathy Buchholz, Waxahachie, Texas, with C 0134 Hometown Lady 3210 ET by NJW 73S W18 Hometown 10Y ET.
- Champion horned female: Chloe Castle, Rush Springs, Okla., with C Notice Me Untapped 2200 ET by TH 89T 743 Untapped 425X ET.
- Reserve champion horned female: Gary and Kathy Buchholz with GKB 88X Ida Kay 8A ET by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Champion horned bull: Colyer Herefords, Bruneau, Idaho; Pablo Martin Y Herrera, Buenos Aires, Argentina; and Ned and Jan Ward, Sheridan, Wyo., with C Stockman 2059 ET by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Reserve champion horned bull: Gary and Kathy Buchholz with GKB 88X Laramie B293 by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
- Champion polled bull: Gary and Kathy Buchholz with LED GKB Legend 108 ET by CRR About Time 743.
- Reserve champion polled bull: Madison and Meagan Dewar, Bakersfield, Calif., with DF 9001 Maestro 907 1212 by DF Sweet Willie 9001.
- Premier horned and polled exhibitor, horned premier breeder: Colyer Herefords
- Polled premier breeder: Kari and Brooke Brumley, Orovada, Nev.
- Best get of sire: Colyer Herefords and Gary & Kathy Buchholz with a group sired by NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET
- Best six head: High Desert Cattle Co., Canyon City, Ore.
Chris Gansberg, Markleeville, Calif., George Colwell, North Powder, Ore., and Dale Micheli, Fort Bridger, Wyo., judged the pen show. Colyer Herefords won champion pen and JBB/AL Herefords, Bliss, Idaho, was reserve champion.
The 109-entry junior show judged by Montie Soules, Omaha, Neb., was Dec. 5.
- Champion bred-and-owned and champion owned female: Emilee and Bennett Holt with Holt 138X Sadie 226Z
- Reserve champion bred-and-owned female: Brandt and Lane Downing, Terrebonne, Ore., with DCC Double Take 202 by GO 3196 Advance T9
- Reserve champion owned heifer: Brooke Brumley with BF 144U Somethingsweet 2106 ET by TH 75J 243R Bailout 144U ET.
- Champion bull: Brandt and Lane Downing with DCC Double Down 205 by UPS TCC Nitro 1ET
- Reserve champion bull: Kallie Goss, Redmond, Ore., with KK New Extreme 123 by KK New Invention 980.
AHA Records Department Holiday Customer Service Update
The AHA will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to allow our staff to celebrate the holiday with their families. The AHA records department will return to processing work on Thursday, Dec. 26 however, the customer service phone line will be unavailable. Please direct urgent requests to Dawn Jochim at email@example.com. The Records Department will re-open to full service on Friday, Dec. 27.
AHA will also be closed New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. The AHA records department will reopen to the New Year on Thursday, January 2nd.
NHW Looking for Board Member
The National Hereford Women has a board position open representing the Northwest area.This is a four-year term. The northwest region includes: Washington, Oregon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.
A board member nominee must be of current paid status (as of 7-21-13). The duties of an NHW board member are centered on the promotion of our Hereford youth. Events/meetings required include the annual meetings in Kansas City; semi-annual meeting and events at the National Junior Hereford Expo and teleconferences. For more information on being a board nominee, please contact: Alise Nolan, NHW nominating committee chair, 903-797-6131 or 903-841-2726.
Consign Today for December BuyHereford.com Sale
Today, Dec. 13, is the consignment deadline for the December sale on BuyHereford.com. Log on to consign your Hereford genetics to be sold Dec. 30.
Reno, Annual Meeting, Royal Photos Online
Visit HerefordPhotoshop.com to view and order photos from the Western Nugget National Hereford Show, American Royal National Hereford Show, AHA Annual Meeting and Hereford Honorees Reception.
P&R Herefords Donates Heifer to Benefit Hereford Youth
P&R Herefords, Leedey, Okla., has graciously donated the proceeds from the pick of its 2014 heifer calves to HYFA. The pick will sell as Lot 19 in the Mile High Night Sale during the National Western Stock Show in Denver on Jan. 17.
GE-EPD Results Update
If you want genomic-enhanced expected progeny differences (GE-EPDs) be sure to allow for plenty of time for the lab to get the results to you. Do not wait until the last minute. It takes a minimum of three weeks to get results after the lab acknowledges the sample, not when it arrives at GeneSeek. Allow three weeks after the lab gets the sample into the system and the process started.
2014 AI Book Deadline is Approaching Fast
Reserve your space today! Deadline for ad materials is Jan. 24.
- Two page spread — $2,300
- Full page, four color — $1,150
- Half page, four color — $725
The first photo of the bull is free, any additional photos are $20 each. Ads are placed in book according to date all ad info is received in the AHA office.
Hereford Denver Activities Planned
Hereford enthusiasts will be in Denver Jan. 15-18 for the National Western Stock Show.
Hereford events in Denver will kick off in the Stadium Arena on the Hill with the bull show on Thursday, Jan. 16 at 8 a.m. followed by the junior heifer show. Friday will be the pen and carload show in the Yards starting at 8 a.m.
The Mile High Night National Hereford Sale will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday in the Stadium Arena on the Hill.
Renaissance Denver Hotel
3801 Quebec St., Denver, CO 80207, 800-468-3571
Rate: $112, Cutoff date: Wednesday, Dec. 21
Ask for “American Hereford Association” block. A one-night, non-refundable deposit is required at reservation time. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Denver International Airport.
At this time the Renaissance is booked, an overlow hotel has been contracted:
Crowne Plaza Denver International Airport Convention Center
15500 E. 40th Avenue
Denver, CO 80239, 888-233-9527
Rate: $99, Cutoff date: Tuesday, Dec. 31
Join Hereford Enthusiasts in the Suite
National Western Stock Show (NWSS) attendees will again have a chance to meet with other Hereford producers in the Hereford hospitality suite in the Yards. Sponsored by Hereford breeders, the suite will again be on the first floor of the Exchange Building. It will be a great place for breeders to discuss business transactions or just visit with old friends.
The suite will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 15, through Friday, Jan. 17.
A big thank you goes to the breeders who help sponsor this gathering place. For information about the suite or to inquire about sponsorship, contact Amy Cowan at or 816-842-3757.
Check Out Fiscal Year 2013 Highlights
Check out the Fiscal Year 2013 Highlight Video
Download the 2013 Annual Report
Download Annual Meeting PowerPoint
New Children's Ag Book Available
Rebecca, Sheridan and Rianna Chaney are proud to announce the fifth book in the “The Chaney Twins' Ag Series.” This book, “Our Star Goes West” follows the girls' beloved Star cow from their farm in Maryland to their new home on a 3,500-acre ranch in south central Nebraska.
All five books in the series are 32 pages and are full of captivating and fun color photographs by professional photographer and the books' co-creator Kelly Hahn Johnson of Sharpsburg, Md. The easy-to-read text geared toward preschool and elementary-aged children has been selected by numerous Farm Bureau groups, Ag in the Classroom programs and county and state cattle women's organizations across the country as their “Accurate Ag Book.”
The first four books and lesson plans are on the USDA National Resource Directory for Agriculture in the Classroom in addition to the American Farm Bureau Literacy list. Lessons plans are available in free downloadable form on the Pennsylvania Beef Council website. Books are $12 each, or discounted to $50 for the five-book “Bundle” special, plus shipping. Special discounts are available for larger box orders for ag groups.
For more information or to place an order, visit Rebecca's website, call 308-785-8064 or e-mail Rebecca.
Books for Christmas should be ordered by Dec. 9.
Read the Fall Advantage Newsletter
The Fall edition of the Advantage Newsletter for National Junior Hereford Association members is now available for download or log on to JrHereford.org to read it.
Register now for the 2014 Cattle Industry Convention and NCBA Trade Show
Registration for the 2014 Cattle Industry Convention and National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) Trade Show is underway. The 116th Annual Convention will be held in Nashville, Tenn., Feb. 4-7, 2014 and advanced registration is open until Jan. 10, 2014. Visit the NCBA website for more information and to register.
GKB Cattle Donates Heifer to Benefit Hereford Youth
Gary and Kathy Buchholz, GKB Cattle, Waxahachie, Texas, generously donated GKB 8144 Notice Me Too B19 ET to sell as Lot 1, the foundation female, Jan. 17 during the Mile High Night Sale during the National Western Stock Show in Denver.
GKB Notice Me Too is an exceptional January 2011 daughter of BR Currency 8144 ET and sells bred to NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
Don’t miss this opportunity. All proceeds from the sale will go to HYFA's "Growing a Lasting Legacy" campaign. Visit the HYFA website for more information.
Just a reminder: The American Hereford Association (AHA) has approved two rule changes and an increase in fees.
- Rule 17A: new embryo transfer policy — For embryo transfer (ET) calves there will no longer be an ET certificate required for registration. The new requirement for registering an ET calf will be the reporting of the recovery date of the embryo at the time of flush. As previously, ET calves are charged an additional $10 per head over and above the normal registry rate (same cost as an ET certificate). This change is effective Nov. 1, 2013.
- Steers need registration papers — Starting in 2014 all steers showing at the Junior National Hereford Expo must be registered by the American Hereford Association and out of a registered sire and dam. No steer certificates will be accepted, only registration papers. The AHA will still offer traditional steer certificates for those state and regional shows not requiring a registration paper on steers at this time.
- New registration and enrollment fees — Starting Jan. 1, 2014, registration fees will increase 50 cents per head and Total Performance Records (TPR) cow herd enrollment fees will increase by 50 cents.
Take advantage of Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales
Consigning Hereford and Hereford-influenced calves to a special Hereford sale not only provides a great outlet for buyers interested in Hereford genetics but may also result in a premium for the seller. Contact these organizers today for the specific requirements of each sale. Many have a consignment deadline, and the earlier you commit your stock, the better advertisement your calves will get. Whether you have one head or 100, one of these sales may be the perfect marketing outlet for you:
Greater Midwest Certified Hereford Feeder Calf Sale
Date: Jan. 2, 2014
Location: Carthage Livestock Auction, Carthage, Ill.
Contact: John Meents 419-306-7480
Order your JNHE Photos, Collages at HerefordPhotoShop.com
Have you checked out HerefordPhotoShop.com? You can view backdrop, contest and candid photos from the showring and barns. This year we are offering custom-made collages that can include text, such as a quote, and photos taken by AHA staff or Heidi Anderson of Legacy Livestock.
Two collage sizes are available including 11x14 with five to seven photos and 16x20 with up to 10 photos. Collages can be ordered as a print, a digital file or both. AHA staff is working with Legacy Livestock to produce the collages.
Download the collage order form or call 785-562-6197 to place your order.
Hereford Banner, Flag Available for Purchase
Hereford breeders can order the Profitabull Hereford banner and the Hereford flag that were displayed in Denver. The 3' by 8' banner costs $125 and the 1' by 4' flag is $50.
Order now on the Boelte-Hall website. Select "Boelte-Hall Greeting Cards" and then it should take you to a page with Hereford cards. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the banner and flag options.