Merry Christmas From AHA;
Records Department Holiday Customer Service Update
Happy Holidays from all of us at the American Hereford Association (AHA). There will be no eNews next week because of the holiday.
The AHA will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to allow our staff to celebrate the holiday with their families. The AHA records department will return to processing work on Thursday, Dec. 26 however, the customer service phone line will be unavailable. Please direct urgent requests to Dawn Jochim at email@example.com. The Records Department will re-open to full service on Friday, Dec. 27.
AHA will also be closed New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. The AHA records department will reopen to the New Year on Thursday, Jan. 2.
AHA Announces Spring 2014 Gold TPR Breeders, EPDs
Eighty-nine dedicated Hereford breeders achieved Gold TPR (Total Performance Records) status for spring 2014.
Also, AHA has released the updated expected progeny differences (EPDs) for spring 2014. Producers can look up the new EPDs and download updated Trends, Traits and Distributions reports online.
- David or Juanita Jennings, Rogers
- Gino Pedretti, El Nido
- Sonoma Mountain Herefords, Santa Rosa
- Weimer Cattle Company, Susanville
- Ron Beaver Herefords, Clarinda
- K7 Herefords, Lockridge
- Simpson Polled Herefords, Redfield
- JBB/AL Herefords, Gooding
- Canyon Gem Livestock, Jerome
- Colyer Herefords, Bruneau
- Beever Family Herefords, Mansfield
- Grieves Herefords, West Lafayette
- SE Lawrence Polled Herefords, Avilla
- Bookcliff Herefords, Russell
- Brannan & Reinhardt, Otis
- CK Ranch, Brookville
- Douthit-Downey Land & Cattle, St. Francis
- Mike Flory, Lawrence
- GLM Herefords, Marysville
- Gustafson Herefords, Junction City
- Frank Hug & Sons, Scranton
- Kansas State University, Manhattan
- Sandhill Farms/Kevin Schultz, Haviland
- Schu-Lar Polled Herefords, Lecompton
- Springhill Hereford Farms, Blue Rapids
- VJS Polled Herefords, Hays
- Beckleys Herefords, Ravenna
- Church View Farm Inc., Millersville
- Grand Meadows Farm, Ada
- Ronald Macnaughton, Grand Ledge
- R&T Acres, Frederick
- Bellefy Herefords, Bagley
- Krogstad Polled Herefords, Fertile
- Kruse Polled Herefords, Harris
- Lester Schafer, Buffalo Lake
- Kenneth & Carleen Buchanan, Higginsville
- Nickelson Farms, Belgrade
- Beery Land & Livestock Co., Vida
- Bernard & Stacie Buzanowski, Pompeys Pillar
- Churchill Cattle Co., Manhattan
- Holden Herefords, Valier
- Richard & Shirley Thomas, Gold Creek
- Wichman Herefords, Moore
- Blueberry Hill Farms Inc., Norfolk
- JB Ranch, Wayne
- Joe Brockman, Lawrence
- KEG Herefords, Valentine
- Linton Polled Herefords, Miller
- Monahan Cattle Co., Hyannis
- Harry Myers Jr., Statesville
- Friedt Herefords, Mott
- Stuber Ranch, Bowman
- NS Polled Herefords, Shaker Heights
- Loewen Herefords, Waukomis
- Mendel Hereford Ranch, Covington
- Elizabeth Pribil, Hennessey
- Quentin/Gayle Cook, Vale
- Harrell Hereford Ranch, Baker City
- High Desert Cattle Co., Canyon City
- Greg Thomas, Bonanza
- Fields Edge Herefords, Narvon
- Flat Stone Lick, Marianna
- Baker Hereford Ranch, Rapid City
- Bar JZ Polled Herefords, Holabird
- Dvorak Herefords, Lake Andes
- Frederickson Ranch, Spearfish
- Hillsview Farms, Eureka
- Eric & Roxanne Knock, Tulare
- Eldon Lee Olthoff, Emery
- Mike & Lori Peskey, Iroquois
- Ravine Creek Ranch, Huron
- Stuwe Herefords, Hoven
- Richard & Betty Wettlaufer, Winfred
- Walker Polled Hereford Farm, Morrison
- Flying S Herefords, Dallas
- Indian Mound Ranch, Canadian
- JP Family Limited Partnership, San Angelo
- Kurtis Mathias, Mount Pleasant
- Texas Stardance Cattle LLC, Hamilton
- Trinity Farms, Mount Pleasant
- Bay Brook Farm, Dabneys
- Deer Track Farm, Spotsylvania
- Meadow Ridge Farms, Inc., Broadway
- West Virginia University, Morgantown
- Henry/Charlotte Handzel Jr – Whiskey Run Farms, Cottage Grove
- Huth Polled Herefords, Oakfield
No December BuyHereford.com Sale
Because of the holidays, there will be no December BuyHereford.com sale. To consign to the January BuyHereford.com Sale, log on to BuyHereford.com. The sale is Jan. 28 and the consignment deadline is Jan. 10.
NHW Looking for Board Member
The National Hereford Women has a board position open representing the Northwest area.This is a four-year term. The northwest region includes: Washington, Oregon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.
A board member nominee must be of current paid status (as of 7-21-13). The duties of an NHW board member are centered on the promotion of our Hereford youth. Events/meetings required include the annual meetings in Kansas City; semi-annual meeting and events at the National Junior Hereford Expo and teleconferences. For more information on being a board nominee, please contact: Alise Nolan, NHW nominating committee chair, 903-797-6131 or 903-841-2726.
Reno, Annual Meeting, Royal Photos Online
Visit HerefordPhotoshop.com to view and order photos from the Western Nugget National Hereford Show, American Royal National Hereford Show, AHA Annual Meeting and Hereford Honorees Reception.
GE-EPD Results Update
If you want genomic-enhanced expected progeny differences (GE-EPDs) be sure to allow for plenty of time for the lab to get the results to you. Do not wait until the last minute. It takes a minimum of three weeks to get results after the lab acknowledges the sample, not when it arrives at GeneSeek. Allow three weeks after the lab gets the sample into the system and the process started.
2014 AI Book Deadline is Approaching Fast
Reserve your space today! Deadline for ad materials is Jan. 24.
- Two page spread — $2,300
- Full page, four color — $1,150
- Half page, four color — $725
The first photo of the bull is free, any additional photos are $20 each. Ads are placed in book according to date all ad info is received in the AHA office.
Hereford Denver Activities Planned
Hereford enthusiasts will be in Denver Jan. 15-18 for the National Western Stock Show.
Hereford events in Denver will kick off in the Stadium Arena on the Hill with the bull show on Thursday, Jan. 16 at 8 a.m. followed by the junior heifer show. Friday will be the pen and carload show in the Yards starting at 8 a.m.
The Mile High Night National Hereford Sale will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday in the Stadium Arena on the Hill.
Renaissance Denver Hotel
3801 Quebec St., Denver, CO 80207, 800-468-3571
Rate: $112, Cutoff date: Wednesday, Dec. 21
Ask for “American Hereford Association” block. A one-night, non-refundable deposit is required at reservation time. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Denver International Airport.
At this time the Renaissance is booked, an overlow hotel has been contracted:
Crowne Plaza Denver International Airport Convention Center
15500 E. 40th Avenue
Denver, CO 80239, 888-233-9527
Rate: $99, Cutoff date: Tuesday, Dec. 31
Join Hereford Enthusiasts in the Suite
National Western Stock Show (NWSS) attendees will again have a chance to meet with other Hereford producers in the Hereford hospitality suite in the Yards. Sponsored by Hereford breeders, the suite will again be on the first floor of the Exchange Building. It will be a great place for breeders to discuss business transactions or just visit with old friends.
The suite will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 15, through Friday, Jan. 17.
A big thank you goes to the breeders who help sponsor this gathering place. For information about the suite or to inquire about sponsorship, contact Amy Cowan at or 816-842-3757.
GKB Cattle, P&R Herefords Donate Heifers to Benefit Hereford Youth
Gary and Kathy Buchholz, GKB Cattle, Waxahachie, Texas, generously donated GKB 8144 Notice Me Too B19 ET to sell as Lot 1, the foundation female, Jan. 17 during the Mile High Night Sale during the National Western Stock Show in Denver.
GKB Notice Me Too is an exceptional January 2011 daughter of BR Currency 8144 ET and sells bred to NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
P&R Herefords, Leedey, Okla., has graciously donated the proceeds from the pick of its 2014 heifer calves to HYFA. The pick will sell as Lot 19 in the Mile High Night Sale.
Don’t miss these opportunities. All proceeds from the sale will go to HYFA's "Growing a Lasting Legacy" campaign. Visit the HYFA website for more information.
Just a reminder: The American Hereford Association (AHA) has approved two rule changes and an increase in fees.
- Rule 17A: new embryo transfer policy — For embryo transfer (ET) calves there will no longer be an ET certificate required for registration. The new requirement for registering an ET calf will be the reporting of the recovery date of the embryo at the time of flush. As previously, ET calves are charged an additional $10 per head over and above the normal registry rate (same cost as an ET certificate). This change is effective Nov. 1, 2013.
- Steers need registration papers — Starting in 2014 all steers showing at the Junior National Hereford Expo must be registered by the American Hereford Association and out of a registered sire and dam. No steer certificates will be accepted, only registration papers. The AHA will still offer traditional steer certificates for those state and regional shows not requiring a registration paper on steers at this time.
- New registration and enrollment fees — Starting Jan. 1, 2014, registration fees will increase 50 cents per head and Total Performance Records (TPR) cow herd enrollment fees will increase by 50 cents.
Take advantage of Hereford-influenced feeder calf sales
Consigning Hereford and Hereford-influenced calves to a special Hereford sale not only provides a great outlet for buyers interested in Hereford genetics but may also result in a premium for the seller. Contact these organizers today for the specific requirements of each sale. Many have a consignment deadline, and the earlier you commit your stock, the better advertisement your calves will get. Whether you have one head or 100, one of these sales may be the perfect marketing outlet for you:
Greater Midwest Certified Hereford Feeder Calf Sale
Date: Jan. 2, 2014
Location: Carthage Livestock Auction, Carthage, Ill.
Contact: John Meents 419-306-7480
Check Out Fiscal Year 2013 Highlights
Check out the Fiscal Year 2013 Highlight Video
Download the 2013 Annual Report
Download Annual Meeting PowerPoint
Register now for the 2014 Cattle Industry Convention and NCBA Trade Show
Registration for the 2014 Cattle Industry Convention and National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) Trade Show is underway. The 116th Annual Convention will be held in Nashville, Tenn., Feb. 4-7, 2014 and advanced registration is open until Jan. 10, 2014. Visit the NCBA website for more information and to register.