Herefords Are Heading to Denver
Hereford enthusiasts will be in Denver Jan. 15-18 for the National Western Stock Show (NWSS). Hereford events in Denver will kick off in the Stadium Arena on the Hill with the bull show on Thursday, Jan. 16 at 8 a.m. followed by the junior heifer show.
Friday will be the pen and carload show in the Yards starting at 8 a.m. The Mile High Night National Hereford Sale will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday in the Stadium Arena on the Hill. Saturday the female show on the Hill will start at 8 a.m.
Hereford breeders have entered 1,280 head — 1,015 on the Hill and 268 in the Yards — for the 2014 NWSS.
Here are a few reminders for exhibitors:
- Please have your expected progeny differences (EPDs) fixed in the system by Monday, Jan. 6
- Hill cattle will have their papers checked Monday, Jan 13 in the suite
- Hill cattle will have tattoos and scrotals checked Tuesday, Jan 14 on the hill
- Yard cattle will have their papers checked Sunday, Jan 12 in the suite
- Yard cattle will have tattoos and scrotals checked Monday, Jan. 13 in the pens
- Double check your tattoos before leaving for Denver
- Make sure you have ORIGINAL registration papers for check in
If you have any questions, please contact Bailey Clanton, American Hereford Association national shows coordinator and youth activities assistant.
At this time the Renaissance is booked, an overflow hotel has been contracted:
Crowne Plaza Denver International Airport Convention Center
15500 E. 40th Avenue
Denver, CO 80239, 888-233-9527
Rate: $99, Cutoff date: Tuesday, Dec. 31
Join Hereford Enthusiasts in the Suite
NWSS attendees will again have a chance to meet with other Hereford producers in the Hereford hospitality suite in the Yards. Sponsored by Hereford breeders, the suite will again be on the first floor of the Exchange Building. It will be a great place for breeders to discuss business transactions or just visit with old friends.
The suite will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 15, through Friday, Jan. 17.
A big thank you goes to the breeders who help sponsor this gathering place. For information about the suite or to inquire about sponsorship, contact Amy Cowan at or 816-842-3757.
GKB Cattle, P&R Herefords Donate Females to Benefit Hereford Youth
Gary and Kathy Buchholz, GKB Cattle, Waxahachie, Texas, generously donated GKB 8144 Notice Me Too B19 ET to sell as Lot 1, the foundation female, Jan. 17 during the Mile High Night Sale during the National Western Stock Show in Denver.
GKB Notice Me Too is an exceptional January 2011 daughter of BR Currency 8144 ET and sells bred to NJW 98S R117 Ribeye 88X ET.
P&R Herefords, Leedey, Okla., has graciously donated the proceeds from the pick of its 2014 heifer calves to HYFA. The pick will sell as Lot 19 in the Mile High Night Sale.
Don’t miss these opportunities. All proceeds from the sale will go to HYFA's "Growing a Lasting Legacy" campaign. Visit the HYFA website for more information.
AHA Announces Spring 2014 EPDs
AHA has released the updated EPDs for spring 2014. Producers can visit Hereford.org to look up the new EPDs and download updated Trends, Traits and Distributions reports.
Advertise with Banner Ads on Hereford.org
Statistics show Hereford.org website traffic increases in January, with new expected progeny differences (EPDs) online and the National Western Stock Show around the corner. If you have an upcoming production sale, private treaty offerings or just want to increase awareness of your farm or ranch, now is the time to purchase a banner ad on Hereford.org.
For more information, contact Caryn Vaught at 816-842-3757.
Consign Now for January BuyHereford.com Sale
The January BuyHereford.com sale is Jan. 28. The consignment deadline is Jan. 10. Log on to BuyHereford.com to consign and/or bid.
K-State's Winter Ranch Management Series Takes New Approach
A two-way verbal exchange between Kansas' cattle producers and Extension specialists is the new approach to K-State's 2014 Winter Ranch Management Seminar Series, set to kick-off in January and conclude mid-February. Read more about it and learn how to sign up at a location near you on the K-State website.
Register Today for Southwest Beef Symposium
New Mexico State University is hosting a Southwest Beef Symposium Jan. 9-10 in Clayton, N.M. Topics covered include: global industry issues, timely nutrition and health management strategies, and the economics and risk associated with restocking ranches. Learn more and register on the New Mexico State University website.
NHW Looking for Board Member
The National Hereford Women has a board position open representing the Northwest area.This is a four-year term. The northwest region includes: Washington, Oregon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.
A board member nominee must be of current paid status (as of 7-21-13). The duties of an NHW board member are centered on the promotion of our Hereford youth. Events/meetings required include the annual meetings in Kansas City; semi-annual meeting and events at the National Junior Hereford Expo and teleconferences. For more information on being a board nominee, please contact: Alise Nolan, NHW nominating committee chair, 903-797-6131 or 903-841-2726.
Reno, Annual Meeting, Royal Photos Online
Visit HerefordPhotoshop.com to view and order photos from the Western Nugget National Hereford Show, American Royal National Hereford Show, AHA Annual Meeting and Hereford Honorees Reception.
GE-EPD Results Update
If you want genomic-enhanced expected progeny differences (GE-EPDs) be sure to allow for plenty of time for the lab to get the results to you. Do not wait until the last minute. It takes a minimum of three weeks to get results after the lab acknowledges the sample, not when it arrives at GeneSeek. Allow three weeks after the lab gets the sample into the system and the process started.
2014 AI Book Deadline is Approaching Fast
Reserve your space today! Deadline for ad materials is Jan. 24.
- Two page spread — $2,300
- Full page, four color — $1,150
- Half page, four color — $725
The first photo of the bull is free, any additional photos are $20 each. Ads are placed in book according to date all ad info is received in the AHA office.
Just a reminder: The American Hereford Association (AHA) has approved two rule changes and an increase in fees.
- Rule 17A: new embryo transfer policy — For embryo transfer (ET) calves there will no longer be an ET certificate required for registration. The new requirement for registering an ET calf will be the reporting of the recovery date of the embryo at the time of flush. As previously, ET calves are charged an additional $10 per head over and above the normal registry rate (same cost as an ET certificate). This change is effective Nov. 1, 2013.
- Steers need registration papers — Starting in 2014 all steers showing at the Junior National Hereford Expo must be registered by the American Hereford Association and out of a registered sire and dam. No steer certificates will be accepted, only registration papers. The AHA will still offer traditional steer certificates for those state and regional shows not requiring a registration paper on steers at this time.
- New registration and enrollment fees — Starting Jan. 1, 2014, registration fees will increase 50 cents per head and Total Performance Records (TPR) cow herd enrollment fees will increase by 50 cents.
Check Out Fiscal Year 2013 Highlights
Check out the Fiscal Year 2013 Highlight Video
Download the 2013 Annual Report
Download Annual Meeting PowerPoint
Register now for the 2014 Cattle Industry Convention and NCBA Trade Show
Registration for the 2014 Cattle Industry Convention and National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) Trade Show is underway. The 116th Annual Convention will be held in Nashville, Tenn., Feb. 4-7, 2014 and advanced registration is open until Jan. 10, 2014. Visit the NCBA website for more information and to register.