AHA Announces Fall 2014 Gold TPR Breeders, EPDs
The American Hereford Associaiton (AHA) has released the updated expected progeny differences (EPDs) for fall 2014. The EPDs and the updated Trends, Traits and Distributions report is available online at Hereford.org.
The following Hereford breeders were recognized as fall 2014 Gold TPR Breeders:
- Bay Brook Farm, Dabneys, Va.
- Bayou Pierre Farm, Wesson, Miss.
- Beever Family Herefords, Mansfield, Ill.
- Rex A Bradford, Saint Marys, Ohio
- Brannan & Reinhardt, Otis, Kan.
- Deer Track Farm, Spotsylvania, Va.
- Double J Farm LLC, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Fields Edge Herefords, Narvon, Pa.
- Five Star Polled Herefords, Smithville, W.Va.
- Gary Hedrick, Marietta, Ga.
- Frank Hug & Sons, Scranton, Kan.
- David or Juanita Jennings, Rogers, Ark.
- JMS Polled Herefords, Knifley, Ky.
- Kinnear Polled Herefords, Joshua, Texas
- Knoll Crest Farm, Red House, Va.
- Meadow Ridge Farms, Inc., Broadway, Va.
- Nickelson Farms, Belgrade, Mo.
- WC Norris Jr., Burkesville, Ky.
- NS Polled Herefords, Shaker Heights, Ohio
- Oleen Bros., Dwight, Kan.
- P&J Polled Herefords, La Vernia, Texas
- Gino Pedretti, El Nido, Calif.
- Rollingwood Ranch, Potter Valley, Calif.
- Shaw Cattle Co. Inc., Caldwell, Idaho
- Sheriff Polled Herefords, Orient, Iowa
- Snedden Herefords, Maricopa, Calif.
- Sonoma Mountain Herefords, Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Still River Ranch, Van Alstyne, Texas
- Texas 2T Farm Nacogdoches, Texas
- Trinity Farms, Mount Pleasant, Texas
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, Va.
- Walker Polled Hereford Farm, Morrison, Tenn.
HPI Staff Wins Awards at LPC Contest
Congratulations to the HPI staff on another successful year in the Livestock Publications Council (LPC) Contest. The winners were announced July 29 during the Ag Media Summit in Indianapolis.
- 1st-place special issue more than 100 pages: Herd Book 2013
- 1st-place full-page, four-color ad for a livestock sale: Brand that Works sale ad printed in November 2013
- 2nd-place Annual Report printed in November 2013
- 2nd-place sale catalog with four-color text pages: Genetic Selection sale catalog
- 2nd-place in-depth reporting, multiple article: 2013 Herd Book service articles
- 1st-place feature, human interest: Building A Major League Herd by Katrina Huffstutler printed in October 2013
- 2nd place producer profile: Serving the Breed, profile on 2013 AHA President Cliff Copeland by Angie Stump Denton printed in November 2013
- Honorable mention newspaper: HW tabloid version
Order JNHE Photos at HerefordPhotoShop.com
Have you checked out HerefordPhotoShop.com? You can view JNHE backdrop, contest and candid photos from the showring and barns. Recently added are the candid photos from the owned female show. If you have any questions, contact Angie Denton.
Generate Interest with Banner Ads on Hereford.org
As fall sale season approaches, now is a great time to advertise in a banner ad on Hereford.org. Banner advertisements rotate throughout the AHA Web site and are visible on all the popular pages including the EPD look up page.
Hereford breeders can advertise their operation via a banner ad that shows the breeder’s logo, contact details, brief breeding philosophy, sale date, etc. The banner ad serves as a direct link to their own Web site that has more complete information on their operation and program. For more information on AHA’s banner ads and other advertising opportunities log on the Hereford.org. Read how to get "The Most Bang From Your Banner”.
Note Sale Calendar Information Submission Guidelines
With the fall sale season on the horizon we have received a number of requests to have sale dates posted on the Hereford World calendar. To be listed in the Hereford World calendar column and on Event Central online listing we need to know the sale date, the name of the ranch hosting the sale or name of consignment sale and city/state of the sale. In order to have the sale name linked to the website we need the URL of the website. If the sale is advertised in the Hereford World with at least a half page we can add notes with the sale contact phone number, time and location of sale if different from the ranch.
For more information on or sending information to be listed, please contact Christy Benigno.
Now Taking Consignments for the Western Nugget National Sale, Dec. 7 in Reno
Western Nugget National sale staff is now accepting elite herd bulls, show heifer and donor cow prospects, embryos, flushes and pregnancies. The consignment deadline is Sept. 15. The sale will be Dec. 7 in Reno hosted in conjunction with the Western Nugget National Show.
Lowered sale costs! For more information, contact Matt Macfarlane at 916-803-3113 or or Mark Holt at 208-369-7425.
Attend Iowa Hereford Breeders Tour; Visit Gammon Barn;
Celebrate the Gammon Farm’s 30th Anniversary as National Historic Site
Hereford enthusiasts are invited to attend the Iowa Hereford Breeders Association (IHBA) tour in south central Iowa on Saturday, Aug. 30.
Tour stops will include Black's Herefords, Chariton; Ohnemus Farms Inc., Milo; Amos Hereford Farm, Indianola; and BAJA Cattle, Truro. The IHBA annual meeting, including election of officers, will be at St. Augustine's Catholic Church in Milo during the lunch stop.
The tour will also visit the birthplace of the polled Hereford breed near St. Marys.
For more information, contact Anthony Monroe 515-689-5275 or Rande Seuferer 515-971-5135. Visit the IHBA website for more information.
Don’t forget to visit the Gammon Barn during the Iowa State Fair, Aug. 7-17. The Gammon Barn was moved to the Iowa State Fairgrounds in 1991 and is home to the National Polled Hereford Museum and the Polled Hereford Hall of Fame.
The original site of the Gammon Barn on 65th Avenue in New Virginia, Iowa, was dedicated as a National Historic Site in 1984. This site is marked with “Big Rock Stone” and mounted with a plaque, denoting it the “birthplace of polled Herefords”. The site was spruced up this summer, prior to the anniversary. Check out Page 251 of the July Hereford World for detailed directions and GPS coordinates of the site.
NHW Outstanding Hereford Woman of the Year Nominations Due Sept. 15
Nominations for the 2014 National Hereford Women (NHW) Outstanding Woman of the Year are due by Sept. 15. Selection is based on accomplishments in promoting Hereford cattle or the beef industry through the media or other organizations or within her own Hereford operation.
Any NHW member exhibiting outstanding leadership in a state Hereford women’s or Poll-ettes organization or in NHW activities such as hospitality, membership, youth activities, scholarship programs, queen programs, ways and means, publicity and other related activities in state/national arenas should be considered. Previous winners are ineligible. NHW officers and directors are not eligible during their term of office for this award.
To nominate, please send a written letter of recommendation with the nominee’s full name to:
6706 US 68
Mays Lick,KY 41055
Register Now for the Hereford Genetic Summit;
Plan to Support HRF
The Hereford Genetic Summit is going to be a can’t-miss event for the serious Hereford breeder. Plan to join us in Springfield, Mo., Sept. 4-5. Visit HerefordGeneticSummit.com for more information including a schedule, speaker bios and lodging information. Register by Aug. 11 and save $50.
The Summit will feature:
- Informative, educational presentations by industry leaders.
- Stimulating discussion about the industry and the actions necessary to position the Hereford breed for continued growth.
- Socializing with other Hereford leaders while setting a course for the future.
Watch a YouTube video about the Summit.
Registration is open at HerefordGeneticSummit.com. From now until Aug. 11, single registration will be $200 and $300 for couples. After Aug. 11, including at the door, registration fees will be $250 for a single individual and $350 for a couple. Hotel and airport information is also available on the website.
During the Summit, an auction will be held to benefit the Hereford Research Foundation. There will be 10 featured lots including two hunting packages, tools, artwork, a knife and several outstanding flushes and embryo packages. Watch for more information in future editions of eNews.
Plan to Attend Annual Meeting
Mark your calendar for the 2014 American Hereford Association (AHA) Annual Meeting. Plan to join us in Kansas City, Mo., Oct. 31- Nov. 2 at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown, 200 West 12th St. To make reservations, call 1-877-303-0104 or go to Hereford.org/AnnualMeeting for a link to the reservation website. The room rate is $99, and the cutoff for reservations is Oct. 1.
Watch for more Annual Meeting information in future Hereford World issues and in Hereford eNews.
Are you interested in 1950-1960 issues of the Hereford Journal?
If so please e-mail email@example.com with “Hereford Journal” in the subject line.
Check the address on your DNA kit
GeneSeek Inc., AHA's official DNA lab, has relocated to a new facility as of April 28. The mailing address on your DNA kit may be outdated depending on when you received the kit. DNA kits requested before May 1 have the old mailing address. You’ll need to change it to the new address:
4131 North 48th St.
Lincoln, NE 68504
Remember to send all DNA kits to GeneSeek, not the American Hereford Association. If you send your DNA kit to AHA the turnaround time is slowed down.
Mark Your Calendars for 2014-2015 National Shows
Keystone International Livestock Exposition, Harrisburg, Pa.
Show Date: Oct. 3, Entry deadline: Aug. 31
Judge: Mark & Deb Core, Pleasantville, Iowa
American Royal, Kansas City, Mo.
Show Date: Nov. 2, Entry deadline: September 10, 2014
Judge: Kevin Hafner, Yukon, Okla.
North American International Livestock Exposition, Louisville, Ky.
Show Date: Nov. 17, Entry deadline: Oct. 1
Judge: Lydell Meier, Clinton, Tenn.
Western Nugget National, Reno, Nev.
Show Dates: Dec. 4-6, Entry deadline: Oct. 15 early; Oct. 30 final
Judge: Matt Copeland, Nara Visa, N.M.
National Western Stock Show, Denver, Colo.
Show Dates: Jan. 15, 2015 juniors and bulls; Jan. 16, 2015, Carloads/Pens, National Sale; Jan. 17, 2015, females
Entry Deadline: Nov. 20
Hill Judge: Troy Thomas, Harold, S.D.
Associate judge: Brian Barragree, Absarokee, Mont.
• Bill Goehring, Libertyville, Iowa
• Paul Bennett, Red House, Va.
• Ronny Morgan, Burwell, Neb.
Southwestern Exposition, Ft. Worth, Texas
Show Date: Feb. 2, 2015, Entry deadline: Nov. 15
Judge: Clint Rusk, Stillwater, Okla.