Junior Activities Department - Summer Intern Program
To provide a multi-faceted learning experience for a college student interested in beef breed association work, public releations and leadership. Also, to provide the American Hereford Association with assistance in event planning and management, junior show coverage and leading the National Junior Hereford Association (NJHA) Board of Directors and membership.
Approximately mid May through mid August, depending on student’s academic schedule.
Compensation will be determined once intern is selected.
Assist the director of youth activities of the American Hereford Association with various summer activities including planning for the Junior National Hereford Expo (JNHE) and PRIDE Leadership Convention. The JNHE is one of the largest junior breed events in the world, showcasing close to 1,200 head of Hereford cattle and 700 junior members. In addition to the cattle shows, the JNHE offers more than 23 skill-based contests throughout the week and the intern plays a key role in assisting with the contests and making sure that they run efficiently and effectively. The intern works closey with the 12-member junior board as well as the JNHE Ambassador team through out the summer. There will be significant travel involved as well as work on weekends and at other times as assigned.
The American Hereford Association headquarters is located in Kansas City, Mo., and housing for a two 1/2-month period could be difficult to find. If applicant does not have accommodations, the director of youth activities will work with him/her on locating sufficient housing.
- The youth acitivites internship requires excellent written and oral communication skills, as one will be expected to write letters, e-mail corresponance and news releases, update social media outlets and Web site and communicate on a daily basis with junior exhibitors, parents and state association leadership.
- Experience and familiarity with conducting shows. Applicant must feel comfortable at shows and have basic knowledge of how a show operates. Ability to travel nationwide by car or plane to cover state and regional shows as needed. At certain times, intern will be expected to travel alone to represent the American Hereford Association at the event.
- Photography and writing experience preferable.
- Ability to react independently. Applicant must be able to help the youth director in various capacities with little formal training.
- Individual must be a self starter with organization skills to assist with the event planning responsibilities.
- Please forward resume, cover letter and a list of references to Amy Cowan by Feb. 15.
American Hereford Association
Amy Cowan, Director of Youth Activities
P.O. Box 014059
Kansas City, MO 64101
Phone: (816) 842-3757
To more evenly distribute the NJHA membership among the four regions the junior board recently approved changes to the regional map. View the new map. During the 2014 JNHE four new directors will be elected to fill three-year terms. There will be three board positions open in the Northwest, one in the Northeast, two in Southeast and two in the Southwest. NJHA director applications are due May 1.
JNHE packets mailed April 1 to all active NJHA members. Early bird deadline is May 1 and final deadline is June 1. Don't forget the new JNHE Steer Rule. Visit the JNHE Entry page for more information. Enter online at: Herefordjuniornational.com/
Bud Snidow Award and NJHA board of directors applications are due May 1. Visit the Hereford Review Room website to begin the process today.