Kentucky Hereford Feeder Calf Sale Repeats Success
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The second Kentucky Certified Hereford Influenced Sale replicated the success of the first sale that was hosted last October. On May 11 sellers earned premiums of more than $4 per hundredweight (cwt.) for heifers and about $3 per cwt. for steers compared to the weekly average price for each weight range. The 733 head of Hereford and Hereford-influenced calves were sold at the Blue Grass Stockyards South in Stanford, Ky.
Seeing the largest advantage in the sale was the 600-weight steers that averaged a $6.31 cwt. premium compared to the weekly average.
Word of the premiums earned in the first Kentucky Hereford sale in fall 2009 spread as consignors responded with about 200 more head compared to the first sale. “Kentucky breeders and the Kentucky Hereford Association have done a great job promoting these sales to both sellers and buyers and that has played a major role in the success of both sales,” says Tim Dietrich, beef cattle marketing specialist for the Kentucky Department of Agriculture.
Modeled after other successful Hereford feeder sales, the Kentucky Certified Hereford Influenced Sale was organized by the Kentucky Hereford Association, after Hereford breeders became frustrated by receiving discounts for their odd numbers of Hereford calves.
Following the feeder calf sale, Hereford breeders sold 10 bulls.
- Shipley Hired as Creative Services Coordinator
- Foster Hired as Education and Information Services Coordinator
- Barber Ranch Donates Lot 1 Foundation Female
- Tissue Sample Unit Now Available for DNA Sample Collection
- Hereford Youth Foundation of America Generates $2 Million for Leadership and Education
- AHA, BioZyme Inc and HYFA Partner to Launch "Feed the Future" Program