CHB/Hereford Verified FAQs
Download the CHB/Hereford Verified Fact Sheet
- Cattle must have a predominately (51%) whiteface and exhibit white markings over the jaw, forehead and muzzle. White markings on any part of the hip, shoulder or side of the body such as spots, stripes or belts are not acceptable.
- Cattle must be solid red, solid black or roan with a predominately whiteface. Whitefaced animals that are yellow, gray, brown, brindle, or smoke are ineligible.
- Only steers and heifers of English beef-type breeding under 30 months of age qualify — an animal expressing dairy or Bos indicus type breeding is not acceptable.
- To qualify, cattle may be either horned or polled. Bulls, bullocks or cows are not acceptable.
- Slight 00 to Moderate 99 marbling score
- Yield Grade 4 and leaner
- Hot carcass weight of 1,050 lbs. or less
- No dark cutters
- A maturity only
Today cattlemen have more marketing options available to them than ever before. The key to marketing success is knowing which marketing option works best for you and your cattle and the willingness to do the research. CHB provides marketing assistance to those who have cattle that fit the program specifications. Promotion of CHB candidate cattle to a network of interested cattle feeders is another tool offered to commercial producers, free of charge. Interested producers should contact the CHB office at 816-842-3757.
Three plants process CHB cattle including Greater Omaha Packing Co. Inc., located in Omaha, Neb., and two National Beef Packing Co. LLC plants, located in Dodge City and Liberal, Kan.
It is a breed specific program that allows producers or feedlots to obtain carcass data and a possible $3 per head return. Hereford Verified fulfills many producer, feeder, packer and CHB LLC needs – supply assurance, supply growth, and quality assurance. The program brings together all facets of the beef supply chain – producers, feeders and packers – to create an open market, reliable supply of Certified Hereford Beef® eligible cattle and pays real premiums to program participants.
For general questions, to enroll cattle, or inquire about tag options & pricing contact Trey Befort, CHB LLC Supply Chain Manager, at 816-842-3757 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does a producer enroll in Hereford Verified?
Producers can enroll cattle by contacting Trey Befort, CHB LLC supply chain manager, at 816-842-3757 or email email@example.com.
To enroll cattle you will be asked a series of questions about the genetics of the calves as well as size, sex and preferred sell date. Produces are given the option to purchase tags. The producer will need to purchase tags in order for them to be eligible for data and premiums. Tags are an EID that costs $1.85 per tag. Tags are only sold in increments of 25 per bag. This is a credit card purchase. In order for producers to receive data and premiums the cattle must be marketed through an approved feedyard and the cattle must be marketed as Hereford Verified cattle to the plant. National Beef in Dodge City and Liberal, Kan., are the only plants actively participating in Hereford Verified.
Want to see all the upcoming events and deadlines?
Visit Event Central.
The Certified Hereford Beef Sire of Distinction (CHBS) program recognized 957 Hereford bulls that have excelled in carcass traits. Download Full Report
State associations and Hereford breeders can utilize “He Want’s it All” ads in local and state publications or sale catalogs. To download AHA ads in three different sizes and color or black-and-white, visit HerefordResource.com. Also available is a one-page fact sheet about Hereford EPDs.